Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2013, 02:30   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
having sailed both --i way prefer the heavy displacement ketches to the performance cruiser as far as performing in heavy or moderately heavy weather--we didnt sail hurrycames--just tstorms..lol....i really missed my formosa on this trip...LOL....woulda been perfect.....
I have also sailed both, and prefer the heavier boat. I often wonder what the upside for a lighter boat is? Speed?
Mine is a swedish Runn 37, 20.000 pounds and very solid. We have a 1 meter higher mast than original, so it sail rather fast in light winds, actually have no boat at similar size beaten us. We dont sail races, but often meet others, and have a little "race". I am sure some racer boats in our size will beat us, but how much? I think the difference in speed is very little, so in my world it really isnt worth getting a lighter boat. If the difference was 30-50% in speed i could understand it, but it is no way neer that!
Once we sailed past a racing track, getting side by side of the fastest boat, for appr. 1 mile, and we couldnt aggre if it was faster than us, but the difference was very little.
I realize that it would beat us bad in all the turns, but not on a single course.

On the other hand we can see the lighter boats seeking harbour, when it gets tough. Last year we sailed along the swedish coast, when it blew up, so we had to sail upwind in 30/35 knots. Allmost all the racers went back, and those who didnt had a hard time, also because the had to see us get pass them:-) we could carry a lot more sail than them. In weather like this, our boat is still very comfortable, our kids went down in the cabin to play cards. I am sure they couldnt do that in a racer!

So, i think i get a lot from my boats weight( and shape off course). I get comfort, safety and more sailing hours, because it can cope with heavier weather than a lighter boat.
Off course some 37 foot boats are faster, but not much, so why want a lighter boat for cruising?

By the way, the former owner told my that another Runn 37 was in the 79 fastnet race, but i cant find any information, confirming that?

Sorry for my english....

Regards from Denmark
jesperht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement