Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 18:49   #1

Hello all first post

Hey folks, my name is Tyler and I'm looking for a bit of that unabashed, honest input. Myself, wife and daughter are planning a South Pacific trip (spring of 2016 departure). I know how these posts can go....so I'm going to provide some personal info and very specific questions Looking for opinions from those with real world experience regarding these boats.

Experience:
Life long boater. Grew up sailing on my parents boats every summer (27' -38' sail). Puget sound up to South Alaska. A bit of racing including the Swiftsure in the early 80's. As an adult I became a power boater up until 6 years ago (27'-42'), 46 years old now.

Intent:
3-5 years sailing the South Pacific, New Zealand, Australia and Indonesia.

Boat desires:
Sturdy, overbuilt. Slow and steady is better than fast and fragile. Space for a 7 year old to run laps is required

Okay...the boats in question, only because I know the brands and they are close to me for viewing. (Doesn't mean these are the only I will be looking at).

1. Maple Leaf 50 mid 80's vintage. Any known issues? Any reasons not to consider?

2. Morgan Out Island 50 (this boat just completed a circumnavigation). Same questions?

Would greatly appreciate any input you all may have.

Thanks,

Tyler
insatiable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 19:37   #2

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Hello all first post

Welcome aboard. You will get lots of opinions, most have some merit. Good luck with your search
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 19:50   #3

Thanks ShaktisBoy, I'm looking forward to some quality input from the members here
insatiable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 22:44   #4

You seem to have much more experience than many people who come on the forum and say they are going to the South Seas. The boats you mention are probably fine. but there are many more in that size range to look at. One of the things I often say on CF is that to decide if your boat is ready for an offshore passage, you should go out for a weekend and turn off the main battery switch, and see how easy it is to live like that???? You will get recommendations for electronics that would bankrupt Donald Trump, but not many recommendations for manual backups for the essentials like foot pumps for fresh water, or the spare plumbing fittings to bypass the gas solenoid if the electrical system fails. Try an electric head if the batterys have failed!!! You will need less than the 1/4 acre of solar panels if you have a wind vane to get you across oceans. Nothing wrong with auto pilots if you have the electrons to feed it. The wind vane doesnt give a hoot about electrons. Dont forget some oil lamps so you can see down below without the electrics. Hopefully you will never need the backups, but it would seem silly to give up on a voyage just because you had an alternator go bad a few days out. I recently bought charts from a fellow that passed up the trip of a lifetime to the Marquesas because his autopilot packed up 2 days out of Mexico. I think I have had my rant, now have a great cruise. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 21:43   #5

Boat: O'day 27

Like gjordan said keep your eyes open there are lots of options for seaworthy cruisers in that size range. 3-5 years cruising, sounds awesome, have fun!
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 00:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello all first post

Hi... Welcome to CF..
I'll go with a previous poster.. you want a good comfortable sea boat.. don't buy one just coz its got lottsa toys.. they die quick and eat the budget come replacement time.. sound hull, good rig and sails, sturdy economical engine and decent tankage..
As for the boats your looking at.. only know (sorta) the Morgan.. upwind modest but running the Trades she'll do just fine..
Enjoy the planning and the adventure..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 01:25   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Tyer,

Well, there are at least two CFers with boats named Insatiable: my self and Weyalan, so you are in (IMO) in good company! Anyhow, welcome to CF where you will find advice ad nauseum. Some of it is worth following. Your job is to decide which ones they are!

I wouldn't dare to advise on the sort of boat you describe, for our tastes tend towards what you call fast and fragile. You will find both sorts of boats clogging up anchorages in the Pacific when you finally get there, and only you can decide what, er, floats your boat! They both (types) work.

Good hunting, and don't be shy about posting queries. We won't be shy about voicing our studied (or perhaps imagined) responses.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-04-2014, 01:25   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there,

Ww once knew an ex-Canadian Coast Guard skipper who had a Maple Leaf 48. A very competent guy, so probably a sturdily built boat. The Morgan are less so, yet many have circumnavigated.

Frankly, few boats will have room for a 7 yr old to run laps. Perhaps you could have him holy-stone the decks? (joke)

There are a lot of folks here who will give you brand names, and whatnot, but I'd suggest you determine your pocketbook, the size of the boat, and what the upgrades you require will come to. So very much depends on your "taste", your requirements (the deal breakers) and your pocketbook.

IMO, you are a good age to get this all together.

Ann
(first cruise, San Francisco to Hawaii and return 1983, in an S&S 30 footer.)