Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2022, 16:15   #16

Re: Help finding the right boat

Here’s a few….

Pacific Seacraft Dana 24, Norseboat 21.5, Catalina 22 Sport, Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20, and West Wight Potter 19. San Juan.
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:23   #17

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think he means while the wife tends the kids below, nothing about abandonment
Yep, thanks, this is what i meant [emoji4]
Fl1ppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I worked for two companies in Norway. My boss in Bergen had a half dozen boats from a pram to a 60 meter motor yacht. Norwegian are born in boats so I understand your dream. Things are expensive in Norway. Save your money, continue adding to your education and skills. Find a small day boat and get more experience. You are responsible for the safety of your children and your wife.

This responsibility and not your dreams, comes first. You are the captain.

Norwegians are incredibly generous people. You might find an older couple who can offer you a way to own a safe vessel. Save your money. Take your time. Make friends with more experienced owners and get more experience maintaining and repairing boats. With limited funds, you must have a wide range of skills. Don’t be in a rush to own a boat and be certain any vessel is large enough, strong and seaworthy enough to protect your crew.

Captain Mark
Thank you! I will remember this
Old 18-07-2022, 05:39   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help finding the right boat

https://www.networkyachtbrokers.com/...F7974644.html/

Top end of your budget but has had a lot of work done to her.. does not have a fwd facing toilet but few large boats do.
Well capable of offshore passages and designed by a well known American designer that I have a lot of respect for.
Its in the Med so you will need to get her home, alternatively the marina seems pretty cheap should you choose to relocate for a while.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 13:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
If you compromise on the center cockpit requirement, you can easily find a good 40 foot boat from 2004 for less than 100k euro, Bavaria, Benetau or Hanse. If you are in Norway then Sweden would be a good place to look for one. http://www.batagent.se/

There also exists a Bavaria 40 from 1998 with center cockpit, but I haven't seen one ever. ( the year and number might be slightly wrong )
I will take a look, thank you!
Old 18-07-2022, 13:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
I’ve been where you are, I think…. wanting adventure, some zeal in your life, albeit calmly & safely with a full family as a compliment.

~ WoW! ~

that is a LOT to ask for….
and very little experience at sea.

In answer, I’d ask you to scale back, and build your dream in baby steps. A smaller (lake boat) to start, where the waters are not so potentially overwhelming, especially to a wife “not all the way in”. Regardless, a smaller boat where you can learn, go out by yourself, or with a sailing buddy. And as money gets bigger along with the kids, start making “the dream” a part of all of their lives, with small weekend excursions.
Costs will be (greatly) reduced with a smaller boat…. and a BIGGER family. Keep pumping the dream, and learning what a good boat should be (in general)(and for you).
10 years from now, you will be quite experienced and adept at assessing ANY potential dream boat, while maximizing the dollars that go into such a purchase.

I would recommend you stay in the 25 feet and under range, keeping everyone else off the boat, until you become masterful. Shoot for a Captain’s license/ log your hours while you’re at it. Become competent at selection, understanding build quality, keys to great designs, sail plans, single-hand sailing, how insurance does (and doesn’t) work, and again, becoming experienced in all aspects. GET ON OTHER PEOPLES BOATS! *Usually free, just sayin’!! And if it isn’t…. Welcome to sailing. Nothing will keep you more real than your pocketbook.

I would research intensely, 1980’s fiberglass boats under 25 feet (the cheaper the better), and find 3 designs you like. Then buy one.
Sail. Fail. And sail some more…

*You’re never going to find the holy grail. After MY obligatory 10 years of searching, you’ll inderstand WAY more about why you can’t. It really and truly is, a series of tradeoffs.

Keel types; Hull types; Sail plan; Accomodations; Safety; Sea kindliness; Costs.

cheap boat/ start learning.

The part I like best so far, is discovering how they fail, and
vis-à-vis…. How they are BUILT.

Your competence is worth more than any boat will ever be.

[emoji1360]
B
Hmmm. Theres a lot in here! And its all true. I have been thinking of buying an 25ft albin express, just to get started, learn, and give myself more time to find the right boat.
But, this would be me alone, and maby a friend.
Then theres the in between. A 33-35ft boat. With Vberth and 1 aft cabin. And the big one for my wife. The head. I see these ranging from 25k-40k, even with newer engine. This could also be a place to start.
Old 18-07-2022, 13:41   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

A 37 Jeanneau or the 36 Benniteau from the late 90’s fit most of the bill. It’s an unrealistic budget to be looking a centre cockpit.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 14:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
https://www.networkyachtbrokers.com/...F7974644.html/

Top end of your budget but has had a lot of work done to her.. does not have a fwd facing toilet but few large boats do.

Well capable of offshore passages and designed by a well known American designer that I have a lot of respect for.

Its in the Med so you will need to get her home, alternatively the marina seems pretty cheap should you choose to relocate for a while.
Shes a beauty!
Old 18-07-2022, 14:10   #24

Older, wooden boats.
In the youtobe video above, could this be an option?
Colin Archer is a popular brand in norway.
Loke this1: https://www.finn.no/257678927
Old 18-07-2022, 14:16   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Take a look at the Colin Archer gaff rigger, and see if it mightn't be too cavy for your wife, and also question where would the kids be located, at anchor, and where would they all sleep. Particularly check out the head, if this is a big deal for her.

Ann
Old 18-07-2022, 14:58   #26

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I'll second the motion to get a smaller boat to learn in.
I'll also offer a generalization about larger boats; Yes, it's true that the more "modern" bolted-on fin keel/spade rudder/flattish bottom/lighter displacement boats offer spacious interiors and better performance under many conditions.
It's also true that to achieve that higher level of performance requires a higher level of knowledge/experience from the crew.
They have a smaller window of "comfort", they require more aggressive sailing techniques when things go south, you just can't go below and expect them to take care of themselves.
Many lack the basic structural requirements for being able to effectively use a staysail or properly mount a healthy sized windlass/anchor rollers along with lots of chain/rope/anchors.
The spacious interior for "people room" also detracts from usable storage and weight carrying ability, they don't take kindly to multiple dinghies/outboards/fuel jugs/surfboards, etc. scattered all over the deck.
The "out of a mold" interiors are a "what you see is what you have" arrangement, additions/modifications/changes, can be expensive/frustrating, they are not easy boats to work on.
I'll also mention that they are, as a whole, fairly fragile.
The keels and rudders don't like to touch the bottom and the drive systems are quite desirous of catching and fouling with all kinds of underwater debris.
So, you want a center-cockpit boat that doesn't cost a fortune, has space for growing kids, can carry tons of stuff and more stuff, has decent fuel/water tanks, can "take a hit" without much complaining, and carry the family anywhere thru thick-and-thin?
Get a Westsail 42.
Edit, just saw the above posts, not too shabby either, I have a lines drawing for a 1906 Colin Archer 39' pilot cutter that would make a great cruiser.
Old 18-07-2022, 17:20   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

The NorthSail 42 is a grand old doll made for 5-6 years in the US in pretty small numbers. 1974.
The OP is in Europe where small volume US boats are rare and they are way overpriced for what they are.
C&C made a Centre Cockpit, so did Hunter but 1 in 1,000 in Europe.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 06:44   #28

Boat: Brewer 44

Take a look at a Whitby 42. Good solid center cockpit. In expensive. Might be hard to find in Europe. Here is one example https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...by-42-8310840/
I Brewer 44 would be even better but out of your price range.
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:03   #29

I’m selling my catamaran if you’re interested. Great price reduced. Prout 33CS
Moored in Larnaca marina. Fully rigged. Radar. Solar. Etc. €35000
WhatsApp me Cyprus 99676490
Eric.martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 07:17   #30

Hej på dej, Fl1ppy:

I have a hunch that you are only an hour's drive or so away from Stavanger. Go talk to these people:

https://www.stavangerseilforening.no/

They can get you going with some real sailing experience in your local waters, and they can no doubt show you how other families, similar to your own, handle their seafaring desires, and what the costs are. They can also point you to locally available boats.

Unless my memory has grown very dull, we Scowegians have a somewhat different attitude to boats and seafaring than do people on the far side of "the pond", so be aware that what you read on "international" forums may not have great relevance to the west coast of Norway, let alone to the waters "inside" the Kattegat.

So let me reinforce what others have said in this thread: Start small lest you get in deeper than you can handle, and, as Ann Cate advised you, if you hope for a happy FAMILY sailing life, be very, very careful that you don't discourage your wife by being overly ambitious.

Alt det beste for fremtiden!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat