Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2021, 16:30   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Help - is my charter boat a lemon?

Guys I’m not sure if I’m over reacting or what to do so I’m hoping some of the more experienced boat charterers on this board can offer me advice. I chartered a sailboat with one of the big companies and this is our first night on the boat. The two aft cabins have some strong smell that I think is insect spray to the point that forget being unbearable to sleep in, I’m worried about my health. We washed all the surfaces with water and have all the hatches open, but the smell is still there. In addition, the dinghy motor seems to not be working well- it can’t go significantly above idle. I’m going to request they fix the issues in the morning, but if they say sorry we don’t have any alternative and boats can be stinky, what can I do? Is this par for the course with boat charters? Just wondering what my expectations should be when chartering. Thanks.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 19:05   #2

Re: Help - is my charter boat a lemon?

It’s not par for the course from a “big” firm, in my personal experience. I’m guessing your arrived at the boat after hours, so you haven’t completed a boat walk through. If I felt like I couldn’t sleep in the cabin you’re in, I would check the other cabins first. If I couldn’t sleep in any cabins I would see if I could sleep in the boat anywhere. It may be a tough night, but I’ve always had the “big” companies make good on problems.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 06:44   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

You have NO IDEA of what chemical you have been exposed to. Your skin could have been in contact even during washing.
Get off the boat now.
Go to any Emergency facility as soon as possible. Tell them you might have been exposed to a toxic material. Get an Attorney and don’t correspond with anyone further especially the Charter Corporation.
Everything you post is public record. Talk to an attorney first.
Get off the boat and seek medical attention now.
Good luck.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 09:52   #4

Boat: Newport 28 II

Seriously??
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:10   #5

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
You have NO IDEA of what chemical you have been exposed to. Your skin could have been in contact even during washing.
Get off the boat now.
Go to any Emergency facility as soon as possible. Tell them you might have been exposed to a toxic material. Get an Attorney and don’t correspond with anyone further especially the Charter Corporation.
Everything you post is public record. Talk to an attorney first.
Get off the boat and seek medical attention now.
Good luck.
Captain Mark
Wow...
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:12   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Seriously??
Second that!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:15   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
Guys I’m not sure if I’m over reacting or what to do so I’m hoping some of the more experienced boat charterers on this board can offer me advice. I chartered a sailboat with one of the big companies and this is our first night on the boat. The two aft cabins have some strong smell that I think is insect spray to the point that forget being unbearable to sleep in, I’m worried about my health. We washed all the surfaces with water and have all the hatches open, but the smell is still there. In addition, the dinghy motor seems to not be working well- it can’t go significantly above idle. I’m going to request they fix the issues in the morning, but if they say sorry we don’t have any alternative and boats can be stinky, what can I do? Is this par for the course with boat charters? Just wondering what my expectations should be when chartering. Thanks.
Is the diesel tank not under the aft bunk? Could be they messed diesel somehow. Had this problem on a Leopard 44 before. Look under the bunk.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 11:54   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So, OP, what happened in the morning? Did they give you another boat, disinfect the original one or tell you to shut up and go sailing?

Or are we to assume from your continued silence that you succumbed to the deadly toxins and your bodies are being shipped home?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Jim
Old 17-11-2021, 12:04   #9

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, OP, what happened in the morning? Did they give you another boat, disinfect the original one or tell you to shut up and go sailing?

Or are we to assume from your continued silence that you succumbed to the deadly toxins and your bodies are being shipped home?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Jim
They probably obtained council and have gone mum on legal advice.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 12:16   #10

Boat: C&C 30

OP here, I gave the interior a thorough washing three times in the cabin with the smell and it’s gone in the next morning. The company replaced the dinghy. I only have six days for my vacation and I decided I’m not gonna make a big deal about it and I am instead enjoying my time.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 12:28   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
OP here, I gave the interior a thorough washing three times in the cabin with the smell and it’s gone in the next morning. The company replaced the dinghy. I only have six days for my vacation and I decided I’m not gonna make a big deal about it and I am instead enjoying my time.
Great! A wise decision IMO, so have a great cruise. But when you come back, let them know how it was and what you had to do to enjoy the boat. Maybe it will encourage them to up their game for other charterers.

Jim
Old 17-11-2021, 13:21   #12

what charter company are you with?
It helps us others to decide you to patronize in the future
don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter