Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 15:16   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Help me choose a daysailer

After sailing for 55 years, I don't have the energy to handle a large boat by myself anymore. I went to a cat 5 years ago and loved it, it was the best purchase I made sailing wise. But there are very few people who are ever on the boat that can 'sail', so even if I have company, I am single handling.

And I am exhausted at the end of the day.

I want to be on the water. I don't think I want to be on a powerboat. I love to feel the wind moving a boat. So I am looking for my next model.

I need to be able to get the sails furled/unfurled easily. On previous boats I had in mast furling which I enjoyed. In fact on the cat, which had a stack pack, raising the mail was a PITA. Get the battens up in between a bit at a time, turn this way into the wind, that way. Loved in mast , just pull it out, and pull it in.

However, on a smaller 25' boat, just raise and lower the main. Shouldn't be an issue.

I need it to have a small cabin with a head. I am an old guy, if I want to sail for 6 hours, a head is required. So would a place to keep a cooler. Having all the lines in 1 place is important. Small jib, important. Self tacking even better. A Rhoades 19 is probably a bit too small. Want a cabin that I can keep stuff on and locked up in.

So asking for collective experience to recommend a boat. I am thinking maybe J boat, but not sure if too performance oriented to single hand. Somebody said hanse 31, it has self tacking jib, all lines led back, full cabin with real accomodations. That is probably the upper end size I would easily be able to single hand. (I have had 33 and 37 and 40' monos that I easily singlehanded in the past, but the shorter the boat, the easier it is to get up to get the mooring etc.)

So pls chime in with your boat and reasons. Thanks!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 18:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Help me choose a daysailer

Alerions seem to be focused on simplicity and easy performance without being overly sporty. They look good and seem to check a lot of your boxes. The 28 wouldn't be too big.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 20:48   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

This has become a very popular segment in the last few years; Popular Sailor did a round-up of the new luxury daysailer segment in 2018:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...s-of-daydreams

As in all things, the first question should be, what’s your budget? If it can handle an Alerion 28, or god bless you, a Morris, then the discussion can end early. If not, then a small pocket cruiser like a Cal 30 could potentially serve, as long as you’re not trying to get anywhere fast. I know I had a much easier time getting on and off the dock in our Hunter 33 than our larger Sabre, and sometimes miss the ease of handling in tight spaces; occasionally getting the big main up and down just seems like a PITA.
ChrisJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 22:50   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Of course you can rig the lines back to the cockpit on any boat you get, but my thought as I read your post, and I don't know where you are or your budget, and this may be bigger than you are thinking, but I thought of the Nonsuch 26 though I have not sailed one yet. (I'd like to!) They have a good rep for build quality, roomy, good performance, easy to sail. Might be worth a look if you can find one.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nonsuch-26
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 05:05   #5

How about a like 29/31 hunter with overhead mainsheet traveler and furling mainsail and rig a remote control (saw it in a magazine) motorized jib furler.

Can’t get any easier than that?

Tags
sail