Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 10:26   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Help me chose my next boat :)

Compac also makes some nice boats with several trailerable models. No standing headroom but good quality.

2003 Com-Pac Horizon Cat Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:35   #17

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We've also been thinking about getting a smaller trailerable sailboat & the Seaward is one of my favorites. Why do you say it almost fits the bill & what do you think of the boat?
The Seaward 25s have a 30 inch fixed wing keel so a little deeper than what the poster desires. Also, while the mast is deck stepped, I am not sure how easy it would be to lower it while underway while leaving the boom and vang attached. It probably could be done but maybe not under 20 minutes. The newer 26 RK has variable draft that is only 18 inches but way more expensive.

As to what I think of the boat, we have had ours for about 5 1/2 years and still haven't found a boat I would rather have. Top quality components, lots of room down below, easy to work on. The down side is she is SLOW! While we have had her in the protected waters of the San Juans and Canadian Gulf Islands, I probably wouldn't take her much off shore as her rigging isn't really designed for it. Sailing with our trailer sailor friends, we are usually last into the anchorage or marina but our boat is where everyone else comes to relax and share a drink!
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
The Seaward 25s have a 30 inch fixed wing keel so a little deeper than what the poster desires. Also, while the mast is deck stepped, I am not sure how easy it would be to lower it while underway while leaving the boom and vang attached. It probably could be done but maybe not under 20 minutes. The newer 26 RK has variable draft that is only 18 inches but way more expensive.

As to what I think of the boat, we have had ours for about 5 1/2 years and still haven't found a boat I would rather have. Top quality components, lots of room down below, easy to work on. The down side is she is SLOW! While we have had her in the protected waters of the San Juans and Canadian Gulf Islands, I probably wouldn't take her much off shore as her rigging isn't really designed for it. Sailing with our trailer sailor friends, we are usually last into the anchorage or marina but our boat is where everyone else comes to relax and share a drink!
I didn't realize that the older ones had a fixed keel. Still, great looking boats. I love the plumb bow.
Old 29-12-2015, 10:49   #19

Quote:
I didn't realize that the older ones had a fixed keel. Still, great looking boats. I love the plumb bow.
They discontinued the 25 with the fixed keel in 2003 and started with the 26 RK. I would avoid the earlier 26 RK and 32 RK though unless the keel has been replaced as the bulbs tend to easily break off. 2011 and newer have a modified keel that is more durable and sails better.

The RKs are much faster than the 25 but you give up room in the cabin and maneuverability around the docks to get the retracting keel.

Seawards are now being produced by Island Packet.
Old 29-12-2015, 11:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
They discontinued the 25 with the fixed keel in 2003 and started with the 26 RK. I would avoid the earlier 26 RK and 32 RK though unless the keel has been replaced as the bulbs tend to easily break off. 2011 and newer have a modified keel that is more durable and sails better.

The RKs are much faster than the 25 but you give up room in the cabin and maneuverability around the docks to get the retracting keel.

Seawards are now being produced by Island Packet.
I've thought about it & I think we'll go with the 46. Might be a little harder to trailer but it's an awesome boat!

46RK | Seaward Yachts
Old 29-12-2015, 19:24   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The TANZER 22 with swing keel is a great boat that fits all your needs.
There were well over 1000 built. They are well known for great sailing ability, and incredible durability. Best of all, they can often be purchased for hundreds of dollars, not thousands. However, pretty small below for extended cruising. If I were alone, and penniless, thats the boat I would sail south. Here's a pic (attached below) of mine from years ago. I sailed that thing everywhere, in all kinds of weather. Great fun. Shallow draft. Big cockpit. Tough as nails. Good times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T22.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	115830  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:20   #22

Sometimes I think good times on boats are inverse to the size of the boat. Some of my best memories are of cruising in smaller sailboats.
Old 29-12-2015, 21:26   #23

Boat: Seaward 22

I've got a 1985 seaward 22. Be happy to answer questions. It has a stubby keel with a centerboard.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 06:19   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by decca View Post
wow that's quite a list. I'm going through it right now, thanks More ideas welcome!
I thought 4 or 5 times about posting due to length!

Quote:
Happy, how did you generate that list? Pretty cool. Price is probably not a parameter but it's great information.
Just a copy/past from a website...

Quote:
I've thought about it & I think we'll go with the 46. Might be a little harder to trailer but it's an awesome boat!

46RK | Seaward Yachts
Yea... I vote for the 46 too.... I could probably get over the looks if I had one!

Quote:
Sometimes I think good times on boats are inverse to the size of the boat. Some of my best memories are of cruising in smaller sailboats.
INDEED!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 06:58   #25

As you can tell by our Scout 30 we love classic boats. That being said we've looked at the Seaward 46 at the last 2 St Pete Boat Shows & it is really impressive. The look is certainly unusual but it really works when you see it in person. Regarding our Scout, several owners are actually trailering them although at 6 tons you'd better have a big ass truck! It does beg the question though, how about a small trawler?

https://www.facebook.com/Scout30OwnersGroup
Old 30-12-2015, 07:09   #26

Quote:
As you can tell by our Scout 30 we love classic boats. That being said we've looked at the Seaward 46 at the last 2 St Pete Boat Shows & it is really impressive. The look is certainly unusual but it really works when you see it in person. Regarding our Scout, several owners are actually trailering them although at 6 tons you'd better have a big ass truck! It does beg the question though, how about a small trawler?

https://www.facebook.com/Scout30OwnersGroup
Oh the fun I could have boat shopping if the 46RK was within my budget!
Old 01-01-2016, 17:53   #27

Boat: Westsail 28

We had one of these . Nice , but no standing head room and that's why we sold it .O'DAY 23-2 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 13:04   #28

Boat: 10' surfboard

If you look up "Why I chose the Ericson 25" on google, there is an interesting website about a person who did extensive research for a vessel similar to what you want.

A book that I find to be a great reference on this subject is "The sailor's book of small cruising sailboats" By henkel

I know nothing, and do not own a boat yet. just so ya know
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 22:19   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

Thanks all for the info! Sorry I've been quiet in the past few days, it is because I was sailing (living the dream in Florida! still very warm weather and water)

So:
venture Newport : a little too small
Nimble, seawards, pacific seacraft... too pricey for me. PS boats also seem to be full keel boats (too much draft)
F27 : looks really cool. A possible hit, but seems pricey as well. I will keep it in mind though and see what comes on the market.
Ericson 25: 4+ draft, inboard engine, "big" displacement.... close but not it I think.
O'day (I see someone suggested a 22 , but I'd rather go for the 28) quite good, but maybe not as good as...
Mac gregors?
Following the several suggestions, I researched it, and kind of fell in love (on the paper, and on the videos, haven't been on one yet) with the MacGregor 26S. I would chose it over the M or X because it is much lighter and a much better sailor. I can live with a little less room inside for a boat that will actually sail well and that I can take out of the water in a breeze. Also I love the mast raising system, and the stunning 18" draft. I know very well this is no blue water cruiser, but I wouldn't be afraid to take it coastal cruising, including the Bahamas / cuba.
This little boat fits my requirements perfectly, and I think better than any other boat. I am still very tempted by the F27, but I am worried about price, cost of marinas (or can it be folded under way very easily?), and ease of trailering / folding. I will have to look further into it.
What do you guys think about my choice?
decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 23:15   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Basically, I am looking for a cruising sailboat 22' to 28'. I have a long list of requirements and wishes, but here is what I absolutely need:
In terms of creature comforts, you'd be giving a lot up, but have you considered a Catalina 22? You could "camp" aboard, and it's a handy sailor? Or might a (gasp?) small motor boat meat your needs better?

Or a tiny (dare I say it?) catamaran?

Ann