Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 01:47   #31

Boat: Outremer 42
Re: Help me chose my next boat :)

I am still very tempted by the F27, but I am worried about price, cost of marinas (or can it be folded under way very easily?), and ease of trailering / folding. I will have to look further into it.
What do you guys think about my choice?[/QUOTE]

Having had an F27, 28r and 31-OD, all of these are easily folded by one person while still motoring towards the dock. I used to do it with the autopilot holding course. So marinas are the same as any other for cost. The draft is about 18" for a 27, so shallow water and beaching is part of normal activity. They go easily on a road trailer and taking the mast down is a two-person job which takes about 40 mins once the ropes are all coiled out of the way.
A double aft cabin is a real plus because it means the cabin is where all the stuff of daytime life goes and you don't get food all over bedding etc. It has a built-in solar panel which is adequate for battery maintenance. However the real plus is that you can do 15 knots with ease and safety and many have done transatlantics and trans pacs without problems.
I rediscovered what sailing was about on one of these after years of getting increasingly bored with IOR monohulls and hence my enthusiasm....
They are probably a little pricey but you get what you pay for and these are quality bits of kit.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote