Valiant 40 4 13.33%
Tayana 37 2 6.67%
Endeavour 40 3 10.00%
Westsail 32 0 0%
Southern Cross 39 2 6.67%
Morgan 382 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 18:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Give something like this serious consideration, they've everything you need...
www.sailboatlistings.com/view/9431
Its a Formosa Sea Tiger 41
Good luck with the dream

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 18:27   #17

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
).

Surprisingly, the smaller HCH 33 seemed better laid out and would be my preference for sailing, but she is not very big and might not meet everybody's standards of 4 people onboard (but it might be a great choice if extended cruising is the target).

Anyway, HCH is what I would call nearly the ultimate in slow and safe boat design.

b.
That is confirming my thinking. There is very little comment on HCs and I've always wondered why. The exterior timber maintenance doesn't worry me too much.
We're looking at a fulltime liveaboard for the first retirement chapter, but fully expect kids (grown up) and various waiffs and strays to join us from time to time. The better I can make this experience for my other half the longer we'll enjoy the sea gypsy life. She is keen but just not very experienced. I really can't see us shoe-horning into anything under 40ft, so the HC 43 is what I had in mind if I can find one at the right price.

Vic
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 19:10   #18

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Well, ok, since we get to choose what someone else might trust his life and those of his little girlies in, for the price I'd take a well done Corbin and spend some money fixin her up.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 21:08   #19

Boat: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzo View Post
Well, ok, since we get to choose what someone else might trust his life and those of his little girlies in, for the price I'd take a well done Corbin and spend some money fixin her up.
I'll look into it.. and no one's getting to choose my boat, having not been aboard and hoping to narrow my choices, or broaden them, as the case may be. I appreciate the feedback. I for one also wondered about the HC38 and there not being much in the way of information on them online. It's good to know that if the 33 fit the bill better than the 38 it'd be worth a look for sure.

Damon

Thanks again for all the replies.. The Admiral gets tired of me talking about "boats" all the time.. although shes making a checklist for selling everything.
_Oxygen_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 19:03   #20

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
V-40 when you get tired of being in each other hair all the time it has best resale value.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33   #21

Pick of the Litter

We went through this process 2 years ago and came to the same conclusions regarding "type" of boats to choose from. The first one we looked at was the coffin-like HC 40, good enough for 2 safely as long as they were Siamese twins. We went through the list and finally boiled it down to the Endeavour 43.
The E43 is the grandmother to the IP465, designed by Bob Johnson. We find her a very friendly boat with a lot (actually an amazing) amount of space for storage and living. They're bright and roomy and user friendly.
Pluses: Unlike previous posts that call them slow, the hull is designed for 8+ knots, however, pushing her 22+ tons through the water requires some wind. The design calcs (ie recovery, comfort etc) are by the book and exceed desired requirements.
The layout is roomy. Did I say "roomy"? We've seated 8 at the table for Christmas dinner. Room enough for all the amenities. Sleeps 4 with no modifications or use of the settee.
Safe; designed a little stiff, she like to stay upright and her weight lets her ride like a Cadillac and everyone remains dry, even in 10+ foot seas. This all translates to comfort.
These boats are designed to go anywhere.
Negatives: This is a 30+ year old design and build. It has all the same issues as other boats in this class and age. Get a comprehensive survey. The Perkins 154 is not rebuildable anymore, so be ready for an engine change if the hours are high.
I agree with previous posts regarding the Belson ports. However, if they're in good enough shape, they can be re-bedded with Sika as most of the port leaks are cause by improper original installation.
Overall, the pluses of this design outweighs the negatives by at least 10-1. The E43, unlike the rest of the Endeavour line, which are Irwin clones, is a unique design employing comfort, warmth, ease of sail creating a desirable cruiser/live-a-board.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:02   #22

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Seahunter good review of the E43. However, please do not degrade the other endeavour line as a "Irwin clone". They are good boats, all of them. Please remember that the same factory built them all.
The negatives of the E43 outweigh the positives IMO. And the negatives are, BIG HEAVY SLOW. A ketch rig on a 43 foot boat with a 35' water line, a 14 foot beam and a design displacment of 33K lbs (but she weighs in a lot more in cruising trim) means a slow ride. In a blow they should do very well, but as most know, you need to worry more about the light wind days than the heavy in most places.
They do have a better SA/D ratio over the 40 with stock sails though. But in a split rig.

They are a bit roomier down below than the 40. But at much higher cost, weight and such. The layout is essentially the same. just a slightly larger middle area for galley and w/t. And a separate shower vs a sit down in the head. Depends on what you like there.

Plus, I find them not as attractive looking as the E40 or 42.

But given all that, both boats are great liveaboards, and cruising boats.
The pricing these days on either is good.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:02   #23

Clones

Thanks Bob, sorry you took the "clone" word as a disparaging comment towards Endeavour boats. However, when you purchase your molds from Irwin, have Irwin's old plant manager (Bob Johnson), lay your keels the same, construct interiors in the same manner with the same interior specs; one might call it a clever copy. After all, they're almost sisters. The main difference was the amount of fiberglass and lead used. The Endeavour grosses out at about 1500-3000 lbs more than the Irwin, depending on the model. Jack Van Ost of CYM, a cousin boat to the Irwin, worked for Ted Irwin as well. The CYM used the Irwin hull, yet the upper mold was retooled. There's nothing wrong with copying a good thing and in the boating world it's done all the time.

As for E43 being a fat a**ed boat, I can't disagree. That's why they're so roomy. As for being slow; well if you want to have a discussion comparing speeds in cruisers, we might as well argue the difference between a nectarine and a peach. I choose to loose 2/10's of a knot in exchange for significantly higher MCR, and SSV while still maintaining a good SA/D.

As for looks, good god, one's an auxiliary sloop the other a CC ketch. The biggest difference in looks between an E40 ketch and a E43 is the E43's bowsprit. Interestingly, this is a feature Bob Johnson subtly carried over on the Island Packets allowing better pointing and room for a stay or bigger genny.

I remember when my neighbor with his E40 sloop parked next to ours came aboard Dream Ketch'r the first time. "Damn", he smiled "this little ship is as advertised."

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I would have voted Valiant 40, but think it could be difficult getting something turnkey for that price. So, I voted Tayana 37 instead, thinking you can get a nice example for $100K.
Old 04-02-2010, 22:28   #25

Boat: Still Looking
Well, it seems that the more we discuss our plan it's becoming more and more apparent that I won't be sailing the 7 seas anytime soon. So.. that being said.. A friend of mine has a Com-Pac 16xl (we think) that his soon-to-be father-in-law owns sitting in his yard. we can def fix it up and use it on our local lake.. being as neither of us have really had much sailing this sounds like a pretty ideal situation to learn on..

On a slightly different note it's not a boat I'd EVER dream of taking to the Caribbean,, there are a few boats that need a lot of work that can be picked up real cheap. like a 1978 28' Mariner and a 1982 Hunter 27 for less than $1000. Sound like something that might be worth fixing up over the next few years while sailing the com-pac??

Oxygen
_Oxygen_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I will share my experience with you and see what you think. As you know, all sailboats are compromises. I bought a 75 (preblister) Valiant 40 for 81k. I have spent over 50k redoing, updating and making it beautiful. But now i have a boat which- in a squeeze will fit 10 (I made two seaberths) and sails like a dream. I feel comfortable singlehandling it. The boat has already circumnavigated and it is as solid as the day it was built. I think I made the right decision for me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard