Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2023, 23:13   #1

Help needed! Wood question

G'day folks, I live in Cairns Australia and I'm refitting an old duncanson 40.
I've successfully replaced sections of bulkhead and one complete bulkhead and I've really enjoyed the glassing and templating of the whole job. I'm currently on the part of the job were I fix the leak that caused all the damage. I'm after opinions on how this new job should be carried out!?

I'm eventually going to rip up the teak but for now I'm wanting to glass in either a new peice of hardwood( what wood for Cairns Australia) or just use plywood and fibreglass at this point to get back out on the water. There is also a cyclone coming so I need to seal this hole up quick. What is everyone's thoughts on how to do this job see pictures for what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231206_151148.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	284120  
Dunc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 00:48   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help needed! Wood question

Dunc, with Jasper on it's way, glue something down over the holes, and put something over that, and get the whole schlemozzle well tied down, sails off and reduce windage.

What the cyclones have been doing lately is to increase in strength and damage potential, so everything you can do to make the boat safe where she is, is what to put your energy into.

Good luck. I hope Jasper passes you by.

Ann

PS. Don't waste time, here.

A.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:45   #3

Cheers for the reply Ann! There will definitely be something glued down in time, I was onboard in Darwin through cyclone Marcus so I know what to expect when it comes to Cyclones.

My question is more in relation to scarfing in a new Piece of hardwood and if this is the correct way or should I be replacing the whole Plank/Piece.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:36   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Dunc40 I take it the anchor winch is mounted there? My first thought was why not make it solid fibreglass? Four litres of polyester resin, some heavy weight chop strand matt and woven roving or heavy weight woven cloth will do. I reckon you will need to laminate it in three goes. By that I just mean wait until the heat has gone from the laminate then start laminating again. A desk fan on the deck should help dissipate the heat.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:53   #5

Hmm yes that does sound like a very strong way of doing it, The deck itself that is exposed there is so bloody thick already I wasn't expecting it to be so thick.

Because the windlass is a vertical mount the chain sits very low on deck, if it was a horizontal mounted windlass then your plan would definitely work as the chain goes over the gypsy higher.... maybe time for a new windlass anyway haha.

Tags
wood