Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2022, 04:05   #1

help on work cost budget

I have been hunting for several month for a ketch sailboat that I feel suit mytaste and the live aboard plans I have with my wife on 2023. She has some mobility coord. problem we hope to fix soon in her brain.

any way I have 4 boats I have selected. Formosa,vagabond,cheoylee and a fuji. The other major issue is the ferry distance to my port I live in the caribean. But that is an issue I can calculate . Out of the 4 , 2 I beleived I have not going to need to work any major issue. Some cosmetic any engine mainenance that it.

But other 2 I will need to do bottom thru hulls perhaps shafte packing and seal plus hull buffing. Do you guy's have a figure what will this cost? I want to make sure I dont buy a boat and by the time She is ready for sailing I run out of ferry$$.

Thanks. I am new to bigger boats on my old hunter was simpler.
Chuck P.
the Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 04:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: help on work cost budget

How long is a piece of string...
Logic dictates the 2 boats needing least work if $$'s are a problem, also the fact that if they only need cosmetics and engine maintenance they should be capable of being moved much sooner saving you ferry money.
Realistically you either need to live on the boat while you fix it up or put things on hold till your wife's problem is resolved..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:50   #3

Re: help on work cost budget

Thats why I ask for advice. I have 2 choices in FL . so it will be just the ferry cost. Both are around same cost and when you add the ferry cost will eat up all budget.

Then 1 in south america that cost the same as in FL. But I think we can work a deal on the ferry cost.

But have 1 in texas that the prices sound very good way lower than the other 3 That is why I am looking for inputs. If I can do all the repairs down here trust me It will be cheaper. But since I have to bring it here it needs to be working fine. the costmetic I can work on it
Old 18-07-2022, 06:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

That is what I gave... Advice..
You are obviously on a tight budget so common sense dictates you choose from the two boats that require the least cost to make it sailable and mechanically sound enough to get home before taking your time to get it how you would like it..
If the sails are usable and the rigging reasonable, service the engine then sail it home.
Forget the other two as thru hulls etc will chew up finances in lift out, storage fees and labour.
Its a no brainer situation and I am surprised you have to ask the question.
By 'Ferry Cost' do you mean delivery or your travel costs.. if you do it yourself you save ferry costs, if its beyond your ability forget them all, neither you or your finances are ready.

Old 18-07-2022, 06:28   #5

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Aviator View Post
I have been hunting for several month for a ketch sailboat that I feel suit

But other 2 I will need to do bottom thru hulls perhaps shafte packing and seal plus hull buffing. Do you guy's have a figure what will this cost? I want to make sure I dont buy a boat and by the time She is ready for sailing I run out of ferry$$.

Thanks. I am new to bigger boats on my old hunter was simpler.

Chuck P.

Word of caution, have you actually seen these boats in person or have a broker seen them? The term “ready to sail condition” should be taken with a grain of salt, specially if the boat is in a port outside of the owners’ country. What is a benign issue for one person is a mayor endeavor for another.

Although Florida is not for anyone, there are many marinas and chandeliers that will make those pesky last minute jobs faster.
When you ask for costs for the above, are you asking DIY or having the marina doing the work for you? That will swing cost significantly as well as location of the vessel. Getting parts in Miami is a lot faster than say Colombia or Panama.

You mentioned your wife has limited mobility and I am sure you have taken this into consideration from an access perspective, entrieways can be tricky for people with balance issues.

Lastly I am assuming you are in a US territory? Import laws vary from country to country.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 07:27   #6

guys thanks . As for wife mobility I have taken all posible aproaches. That is why I have chosen the brands I listed. ALso taking in to account here taste. Also want to give her hops for here brain surgery, that we will be sailing soon . The woodwork and any other job I don't mine doing it . Having to work on building sport aircraft and my micro brewery I beleied given me some notion .

When I mention ferry means that since I am in the middle of a ramp up in my business I might not have the total time to bring it and also I have limitted experise in long passage . So I might get some buddys or hire a crew that can help me on this.

So I think I will go with the ones that can be sail ready, pay them a visit and see if I can get a surveyour prior to making the offer.

thanks
ChucP.
Old 18-07-2022, 08:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a plan...
Columbia is easier to sail from than Texas if that's where one of the 'good' ones is.
Your location in the Caribe is relevant..

Old 18-07-2022, 09:49   #8

guatemala. I figure make a right in Cozumel, jamaica and you are in the leeward of the island so can stop in jamaica, cuba,DR and then south side of PR.

Funny I was looing at a boat in ibiza and a couple in portugal. Price in your side of the country is cheaper but for me and the time plus experience (1) was not a good idea.
Old 18-07-2022, 10:24   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

What ever you think the cost is, it will be twice that and take you three times longer than you thought.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 12:39   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

the Aviator.......this is a classic force balance analysis with pros, cons, budget or guessimates of extraordinary repair costs and upgade costs. Be aware that bottom sanding/painting and hull / stainless steel polishing is normal maintenance, albeit you might factor that intial cost in if that is part of your initial cost.

Once you make selection and have a survey obtain repair/upgrade/ bottom painting, polishing cost from you boat yard or marine contractor. If the costs are unexpected / extrodinary you can request a repair allowance from the buyer.
Old 18-07-2022, 12:42   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

If the boats have screwed down teak decks, take caution for "leaky teaky" decks where water has seeped down into the core material (balsa..?) of the deck, rotting the material creating soft spots.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, work