Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 07:48   #1
h20

Help Rig Whisker Pole! Thanks!

Thanks all in the forum for your help in getting us started in this sailing world! Was sailing wing on wing and had a little flapping. time to learn the adjustable whisker that came with the boat. In all the videos it show a top line from the mast. I don't have one. And there does not look like their is an extra hole in the mast. can i put a line where the flag line is? This our first year of sailing and live aboard. Sailing maybe 3 days a week. LOVE it! I took a while but I can now get the jenny around fast enough I don't have to use the winch, well maybe a little trim if pointing high. Any way any ideas on the pole would be a big help! PS caught a Black Fin Tuna last week (10ish miles out Marathon FL) Dan, 35 O'day (Risky Lady) Boot Key Marathon FL
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:04   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Help Rig Whisker Pole! Thanks!

Hey Dan,

great to hear you are out having fun. The line you are looking for is a "topping lift". Your boat, at 35', is right at the edge of where you need one for a whisker pole. Most boats under about 30' don't use a topping lift on a whisker pole, most boats over about 35' do.

Unlike a spinnaker, the jib is usually strong enough and shaped correctly to hold up the end of the pole, you use the lift if the pole is pulling down too much in really light air, or if the pole is heavy enough that it puts too much weight/strain on the sail.

If you want to rig a lift, remember that you'll want to be able to use it on both sides. Don't know how your flag halyard is configured, but assuming it is on a spreader on one side that might make it difficult to use on the other side. You should be able to find a place on the front of the mast where you can hang a block, and then run the topping lift through that. It will be external, if you don't like that then it would take a much more detailed look at your mast to figure out.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:27   #3
h20

thanks! cool thanks. can't wait to try it out. also some of the videos showed fore and after lines some used and some not? I like simple, simple.
in a light wind i may try to rig it plain jane to see what happens! hope i can learn enough to give back to the forum some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Hey Dan,

great to hear you are out having fun. The line you are looking for is a "topping lift". Your boat, at 35', is right at the edge of where you need one for a whisker pole. Most boats under about 30' don't use a topping lift on a whisker pole, most boats over about 35' do.

Unlike a spinnaker, the jib is usually strong enough and shaped correctly to hold up the end of the pole, you use the lift if the pole is pulling down too much in really light air, or if the pole is heavy enough that it puts too much weight/strain on the sail.

If you want to rig a lift, remember that you'll want to be able to use it on both sides. Don't know how your flag halyard is configured, but assuming it is on a spreader on one side that might make it difficult to use on the other side. You should be able to find a place on the front of the mast where you can hang a block, and then run the topping lift through that. It will be external, if you don't like that then it would take a much more detailed look at your mast to figure out.
Old 26-11-2014, 22:27   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

For the after line just use the sheet from the sail, simple, simple as you say. You only need the fore-guy if the sail is bouncing around. In smooth seas it really isn't needed, but in light winds and bouncy seas the fore-guy helps keep everything from moving. Depending on your rig you can either use a separate piece of line, or just lead the lazy sheet up around a cleat on the bow and use that.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 08:41   #5
h20

cool. hooked it up and noticed that it sticks out past the head sail around a foot or so! wow, don't think I can jibe like that. Unless it can hang low?
The guys look real easy to hook on and would protect shrouds. But have to ascertain if pole will go into the water without the top line. Looks like some use jaws up and some down. ANy way have a great day and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
For the after line just use the sheet from the sail, simple, simple as you say. You only need the fore-guy if the sail is bouncing around. In smooth seas it really isn't needed, but in light winds and bouncy seas the fore-guy helps keep everything from moving. Depending on your rig you can either use a separate piece of line, or just lead the lazy sheet up around a cleat on the bow and use that.