Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 11:33   #1

Help, Small bug infestation, STT, USVI

Hello,

We have these pesky small black bugs which I cannot seem to get rid of. Upon inspection I believe they are fungus gnats. We are located in a marina in St. Thomas USVI and keep windows closed and A/C on usually.

The boat is a Jeanneau 54DS, and I believe they could be coming from the heads, drains, or bilge?

Has anyone had this problem before and know of a solution? I keep battling them with traps, dust buster etc but they keep coming back

I will post a photo of one I caught.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Attached Images

blue_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 11:43   #2

Re: Help, Small bug infestation, STT, USVI

or it seems they could be Phorid flies
blue_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 12:27   #3

Two words: bug bomb.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 12:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Yes. Remove food and pets, close up the boat, start probably two house type bug bombs, and leave it closed up long enough for the insecticide to get into every crack. Air it out.
Old 15-04-2020, 17:35   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

The following habitat info might help in looking for potential sources of food of these flies....I'm thinking maybe you have a leak from the holding tank or rotten wood somewhere? There's gotta be some respect for "ant-decapitating" flies.

The way of life of most species is unknown. A few common, synanthropic species, especially*Megaselia scalaris, Dohrniphora cornuta, Megaselia rufipes, and*Puliciphora borinquenensis, live in almost any type of decaying organic material. Larvae of*D. cornuta*often build up to huge populations when sewer pipes break and nutrient-rich water soaks into the soil; adults emerge in swarms through drain pipes in affected houses. The most commonly noticed species of phorid is*M. scalaris, which is found in a number of filth-fly situations, and also infests nearly every type of invertebrate and small vertebrate cultures, such as insect zoos, tarantulas, lizards, snakes, hermit crabs, etc.

Most species, however, are probably specialized scavengers, predators, parasitoids, and even true parasites. Many*Megaselia*species are found in fungi, some feeding on the fungus (including a few commercially important pests), others probably feeding on sciarid larvae. Many species are found in buried carrion, away from competition from blow flies and other agressive species. One such species, the coffin fly, is found commonly on buried human bodies. Small invertebrate carrion, such as snails, slug, and dead insects, are also breeding sites for phorids. Species of the genus*Anevrina*are found in the burrows of mammals, probably as scavengers.

Many species are associated with ants, as commensals in ant nests or as parasitoids. The largest group of ant-parasitoids,*Apocephalus, are known as ant-decapitating flies because they develop inside the ant's head, and some species cause the ant's head to fall off, sometimes before the rest of the body stops moving. Most North American*Apocephalus*attack ants in the genera*Camponotus*and*Pheidole, but other hosts are used here and elsewhere. Another ant-parasitoid genus is*Pseudacteon, whose South American species are being used in attempts to biologically control imported fire ants (since the native*Pseudacteon*are not doing the job!).
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:04   #6

Boat: Cal-40

When I was at St Thomas I discovered cockroaches so I walked up to the Grocery store and bought a three pack of bug bombs. I removed all drawers from cabinets, cushions placed on deck, and all clothing from closet. Then followed instructions on bomb and the problem was solved. They kill all insect species
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:20   #7

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Also in STT. Sounds like a different bug but we had a small hardback bugs that were getting into pretty much every dry goods container, even zip lock bags, plastic pasta bags, etc.. Becky read about using Bay Leaves. Puts a little bit in each container, or in a zip lock with multiple items, and problem solved.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 09:44   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Could they be drain flies? Good chance if you think they are coming from the drain. Described as "Measuring in at just 2 to 5 millimeters (about one-eighth of an inch), drain flies are pesky insects that tend to congregate around standing water. Also known as moth flies, sewer flies, and filter flies, they are gray or taupe in color, with small, rounded wings."

The recommended cure I've seen is:

Clean the sink with your usual cleaning solution, and use a pipe brush to scrub around and inside the drain. The simplest fix could be as easy as boiling water—boil a medium-size pot once or twice per week, and pour down the drain. Another option involves baking soda: Combine a 1/2 cup of salt with 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar, and pour down the drain. Leave overnight, and pour boiling water in the morning.
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 15:06   #9

Boat: Watkins 29

Run one small fan to circulate the poison in the cabin while it's closed up! It will be more effective that way!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 16:25   #10

2nd boiling water down shower drains. You could put some sticky tape over your drains between uses. And go back take tape off see if any come out or stuck to tape.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 18:50   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

Second the bug bomb posting. We're, also, in STT.....and have an ongoing issue with cockroaches. We've "bombed " the boat 2x, and still find dead cockroaches after a few days each time we do. Where there's 1, there are likely more!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 19:20   #12

Open all your compartments and put a squirt of boric acid along the back and in corner. It works great for roaches. Bombing is not long lasting you will have to keep bombing each hatching. Choose something that’s residual. A home pest control spray in the back and corners is better than a bomb.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote