Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 08:11   #1

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Help us choose a 50 - 55' cruising sailboat

Hello all,

My son seems committed to taking a couple of years off from making a living and cruising from the Pacific NW to New Zealand, Oz, Indonesia, Japan and home. If this comes to fruition, we'll buddy boat with Delfin for the trip. He is looking currently at a 54' Hylas but is 18 months off from actually needing to make a purchase. I was hoping that other members could suggest other designs to consider that would meet his needs. There will be 2 adults and 2 young adult daughters, and possibly their son. If we go along, one of the kids would no doubt be crewing with us. The total budget is < $425k. My experience sailing is 20 years on a Cape George 36' cutter, but I haven't paid much attention to evolution in design and models for quite awhile, so expert help is much appreciated.

Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2018, 16:21   #2

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Re: Help us choose a 50 - 55' cruising sailboat

A few mor parameters would be useful to frame any discussion.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:13   #3

Based on his interest in the Hylas, a monohull, likely cutter rigged. At this point, I guess the question is if other forumites were to make this trip, what vessel in that size what you select?
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:41   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

What is his experience sailing?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 17:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Based on his interest in the Hylas, a monohull, likely cutter rigged. At this point, I guess the question is if other forumites were to make this trip, what vessel in that size what you select?
The biggest thing you have still left out is a budget...

I would chose (as I did!) an Amel Super Maramu. 53 feet, built like a tank. The Amel 53's are at that sweet spot in age where they are a lot cheaper than new, but not yet "old" The 54's are twice (or more) the price.

It's a ketch, not a cutter.

Alternatives, Hylas makes a lot of nice boats, and have for a long time, so with some shopping you can match price and condtion to what you want to spend.

Hallberg Rassy make a beautiful 55 too.

Island Packet's 525 is another sweet cruising boat.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 18:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

I would chose (as I did!) an Amel Super Maramu. 53 feet, built like a tank. The Amel 53's are at that sweet spot in age where they are a lot cheaper than new, but not yet "old" The 54's are twice (or more) the price.

Alternatives, Hylas makes a lot of nice boats, and have for a long time, so with some shopping you can match price and condtion to what you want to spend.

I mentioned <$425k. I agree on the Amel. Very well thought out boats, if a bit quirky in some ways. But that is a good suggestion.
Old 09-09-2018, 18:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
What is his experience sailing?
One trans Pacific with me, but I'm not too concerned about that. Since there would likely be me tagging along in Delfin I think he'll be fine.
Old 09-09-2018, 19:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post

Curious - does your Amel have an Onan genset, and if so, what's the noise level?
Old 09-09-2018, 19:59   #9

I've done most of that route in my IP 460 wife& I...perfect boat for the trip. I have a Northern Lights 6kw gen in her and can barely hear it as its in a designated spot in the rear garage and I equipped it with a GenSup silencer.
I think the IP 485 is suitable for you as well if you prefer center cockpit arrangement.

Hylas is a terrific choice as well as a Super Maramu if that's to your taste.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 21:02   #10
cruiser

Why a Hylas when our Oyster 53 which is presently for sale will fit his budget perfectly; and it's all prepped, brand new sails and ready to go cruising. We'll be sailing her over the next three weeks between Venice, Italy and Montenegro. Please send me a pm if interested, I'd be please to show the boat and provide a sea trial. The current asking price is $425K on Yachtworld.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why a Hylas when our Oyster 53 which is presently for sale will fit his budget perfectly; and it's all prepped, brand new sails and ready to go cruising. We'll be sailing her over the next three weeks between Venice, Italy and Montenegro. Please send me a pm if interested, I'd be please to show the boat and provide a sea trial. The current asking price is $425K on Yachtworld.
Could you send me the YW link so I can forward that to him please? I don't think he is ready to pull the trigger, but I don't know that for sure.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:01   #12

Boat: Boatless

Why not a cat? The budget is more than adequate and the daughters will love it.

If hooked on mono then the Amel a good option.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55   #13

Boat: Moody, Custom 58 Cutter

In the $ range mentioned in the initial blog, one could readily purchase a late 1980's Moody 58 or other high end European vessel, refurbish it with new electronics, rebuild mechanics, renew canvas as required and achieve a fast, sea-worthy vessel for less than $300,000 USD, leaving $100,000 in the cruising kitty.

I recently did so and am thrilled with the results which were aptly demonstrated by our recent 13 day trans Atlantic crossing in December 2017.

Much depends on how experienced the prospective owner is and how hands on their approach to large yacht ownership will be.

Go Sailing,
Aeolus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:25   #14

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

[QUOTE=Delfin;2716728]Hello all,

My son seems committed to taking a couple of years off from making a living and cruising from the Pacific NW to New Zealand, Oz, Indonesia, Japan and home. If this comes to fruition, we'll buddy boat with Delfin for the trip. He is looking currently at a 54' Hylas but is 18 months off from actually needing to make a purchase. I was hoping that other members could suggest other designs to consider that would meet his needs. There will be 2 adults and 2 young adult daughters, and possibly their son. If we go along, one of the kids would no doubt be crewing with us. The total budget is < $425k. My experience sailing is 20 years on a Cape George 36' cutter, but I haven't paid much attention to evolution in design and models for quite awhile, so expert help is much appreciated.

Thoughts?

I'm bias because I own one, but after 10 years there is no other boat I would trade for.

56' CNSO Mikado's are built for cruising the world with a family.

They are roomy, incredibly well built and fast.

This boat belongs to a close friend of mine who after 30 years (200,000 miles) of cruising is selling Jancris. She is circumnavigation ready and would not require a dollar in upgrades to do so.

This boat won the millennium 2000 round the world race among many other
offshore victories.

She is well below your budget and is now in the US in Titusville, Florida.

https://www.whiteakeryachtsales.com/...orida-6254310/

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:08   #15

[QUOTE=Mikado;2717750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Hello all,

Thoughts?

I'm bias because I own one, but after 10 years there is no other boat I would trade for.

56' CNSO Mikado's are built for cruising the world with a family.

They are roomy, incredibly well built and fast.

This boat belongs to a close friend of mine who after 30 years (200,000 miles) of cruising is selling Jancris. She is circumnavigation ready and would not require a dollar in upgrades to do so.

This boat won the millennium 2000 round the world race among many other
offshore victories.

She is well below your budget and is now in the US in Titusville, Florida.

https://www.whiteakeryachtsales.com/...orida-6254310/

Jeff
Much appreciated Jeff.

Tags
boat, cruising, cruising sailboat, sail, sailboat