Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 15:07   #31

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: Help With Contessa 32 Sale/Process (yatch world boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
It sounds like the OP has never sailed before. Steering be damned, the North Sea or the English Channel just don't sound like good places for a complete novice to be out single handling while learning to sail. Having never sailed either place, the stories I've heard make me feel this is a bad idea and something I, with quite a bit more experience, would think twice about attempting. Rather than buying a boat, he should be looking to join a good yacht club. I hate to sound like a broken record but it seems we get this scenario about once a week where a complete novice wants to go out and buy a boat. We've been beaten down to the point where we're now suggesting other boats he might be interested in when he really should be doing OPB for awhile.
Absolutely agree.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:09   #32

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

In my youth, sailed over all of southern England and the adjacent European coasts. Lots of Contessa's around. They pretty good boat. Some of them in the 1979 Fastnet race and I don't think anyone sunk. I seriously thought of buying a C26 and sailing it round the world. If it has a raw water cooled engine have someone who really knows what they're doing have a look at it. Good luck
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:24   #33

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Contessa 32. Great weekender.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 16:32   #34

Boat: Pearson 367

If the engine is working and this isnt your "cruising" boat I'd put off a new engine. Having a yard do it is expensive. It could be 20k and it might help the boat sell faster when the time comes but it isnt going to add a whole lot to resell value.
Old 24-01-2021, 10:06   #35

Boat: DownEaster 38

The Contessa 32 is an iconic British yacht. As mentioned here, several survived the 1979 Fastnet race in good nick. It was the Boat of the Year at the London Boat show in 1973. The one you are considering (1973) is one of the first built. I'd definitely ask Jeremy Rogers about that one. He restores elderly 32's as well as building new boats to order. There is an active owners group and they sail as a one design class in many areas including Cowes Week. Size is up to you. I used to crew on one and slept on board with owner, his wife and several crew with no problem. Survey is a must especially the engine which looks pretty tired. Still and all, for the right price, you can't go wrong. IMHO of course.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 10:25   #36

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser

Here's the link to self survey that was kindly shared recently on a topic I started about doing own vs paying for maintenance. The poster indicated this was very well regarded and suggested printing it as a check list.

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 11:11   #37

Boat: 29 ft

Contessa 32 have a reputation for being seaworthy and fast. The design has a racing history but has been used successfully to go places, offshore sailing, ... . The fact, that they are still built (to order) after nearly 50 years also speaks for itself. Whether it suits a particular owner or a particular purpose / cruising ground is a different question as is the question in which condition a particular boat is.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:52   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I had the pleasure of stepping on board Gigi at the boatshow in London.

She has an interesting history and asking price, don't know if she sold or not.

http://www.co32.org/sites/default/fi...i%20260917.pdf
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 16:13   #39

Boat: C&C Northeast 39 (sold)

I think you've got a fine eye, and that is not to be undervalued. Ideally, when you buy a boat, you should want to row around her each time you see her she's so pleasing to your eyes. She will resell due to her full keel and hefty skeg, and because she's a true blue water boat with bulwarks and sufficient displacement to take you anywhere you skills allow.
Hugh McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 16:19   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help With Contessa 32 Sale/Process (yatch world boat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh McCormack View Post
I think you've got a fine eye, and that is not to be undervalued. Ideally, when you buy a boat, you should want to row around her each time you see her she's so pleasing to your eyes. She will resell due to her full keel and hefty skeg, and because she's a true blue water boat with bulwarks and sufficient displacement to take you anywhere you skills allow.
She's a fin keel and skeg.. Typo.???

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/contessa-32

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 04:50   #41

Boat: C&C Northeast 39 (sold)

No, but I see her now on sailboatdata. I was thinking of Tanya Aebi's 26 I suppose. Tanya lived in the building I worked in in Soho. Her father Ernst was our landlord. And Ferenc Máté was the sailor/author who gave me permission to regard a vessel's aesthetic appeal as seriously as her other attributes.
Hugh McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 06:22   #42

Quote:
It sounds like the OP has never sailed before. Steering be damned, the North Sea or the English Channel just don't sound like good places for a complete novice to be out single handling while learning to sail. Having never sailed either place, the stories I've heard make me feel this is a bad idea and something I, with quite a bit more experience, would think twice about attempting. Rather than buying a boat, he should be looking to join a good yacht club. I hate to sound like a broken record but it seems we get this scenario about once a week where a complete novice wants to go out and buy a boat. We've been beaten down to the point where we're now suggesting other boats he might be interested in when he really should be doing OPB for awhile.
Absolutely, Joel (and Cliveon). +1

That, in fact, was the reason for my pointed question about a tiller. I'm a dinghy sailor and sailed across the South Pacific in a timber boat with a tiller. I steer a tiller like breathing, but as a sailing teacher, I know that will be a major stumbling block for someone who has never sailed before.

Sorry to say, but here's another one with more money than sense...
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 06:44   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help With Contessa 32 Sale/Process (yatch world boat)

One thing to remember.. Tillers on under 40ftrs are pretty much the norm in the UK..
Wheel steering is very much a US quirk.. looks are everything Captain..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 06:58   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One thing to remember.. Tillers on under 40ftrs are pretty much the norm in the UK..
Wheel steering is very much a US quirk.. looks are everything Captain..
I know. I love them! (Tillers, I mean.)

If he's never sailed before, though, they will be a challenge because, as you know, everything's backwards.

How're ya doin' Boatie? I notice you've got a list of potential boats to hand. Spending some time window-shopping these days, are you?

Are we going to tempt you back from the dark side, so you'll make a return to monohulls? (Oh the horror!)

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 07:15   #45

Quote:

Are you joking? This is ridiculously alarmist. Where do you think British sailors learn to sail? There are plenty of sheltered estuaries and rivers on both coasts ( the Solent being the most famous area), but like all other bits of sea when the weather’s good the North Sea and English Channel are fine for learning to sail in.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sale