Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 17:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423
Help with Hour Meter

The digital tachometer on my Volvo Penta D2-55 control panel is displaying incorrect number of hours on the engine. Otherwise, the tach/meter is working fine. Is the hour info on the LCD display being sent or is perhaps synchronized from an engine component somewhere?? If I wind up having to replace the hour meter, how do you get the new meter to display the actual time the engine has on it?

Thanks for the help.
Flyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 17:39   #2
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Help with Hour Meter

On my D2 40's there is an optional auxiliary cable and relay. I powered up old school hobbs hour meters off of this. Applied 12 volts to the hour meters before I connected to the engine circuit until the hours matched the engines.
Old 19-04-2016, 17:41   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Simple answer, Volvo Penta won't tell you: Its a poorly designed meter prone to failure. They don't last more than about a hundred hours in my limited experience. I replaced my tach twice for this reason and after the second replacement meter failed I gave up. 3 failures for the same reason. Tach works hour mater fails, at first intermittent then total. Every time the same thing.

Keep the tach, buy a mechanical hour meter and find a place to mount it. You can find them rectangular or round, anywhere from $20 to $40.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:58   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

It looks like that is going to be the way to go. Independent meter, synched by running it up to current hours. I will likely mount this in the engine compartment.

Thanks for the feedback.
Flyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 07:47   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

FlyBoy,

If you end up going with a 3rd part replacement, check out the offerings from CruzPro. [No affiliation; just a happy customer...]

Here is the link to their tach/hour meter.

They have many products that integrate well into existing instrument clusters.

In case this is useful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 20-04-2016, 09:09   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
FlyBoy,

If you end up going with a 3rd part replacement, check out the offerings from CruzPro. [No affiliation; just a happy customer...]

Here is the link to their tach/hour meter.

They have many products that integrate well into existing instrument clusters.

In case this is useful.

Cheers!

Bill
No experience with CruzPro, but I'd go with a simple mechanical unit with rotating digits. No LCDs for me.

Something like this
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 09:47   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy01 View Post
The digital tachometer on my Volvo Penta D2-55 control panel is displaying incorrect number of hours on the engine. Otherwise, the tach/meter is working fine. Is the hour info on the LCD display being sent or is perhaps synchronized from an engine component somewhere?? If I wind up having to replace the hour meter, how do you get the new meter to display the actual time the engine has on it?

Thanks for the help.
I would make a log entry and go merrily on your way.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 09:49   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
No experience with CruzPro, but I'd go with a simple mechanical unit with rotating digits. No LCDs for me.

Something like this
Hi SailFast,

I understand, and am like minded.

However, we are on our 3rd mechanical hour gauge [historically they go 1500-2000 hours...] and since I haven't found any that can be pre-set with a starting count [one of the OP's requirements] I will go digital [hopefully] before #3 fails.

I also like the ability to set alarms and put in on the NMEA network.

Here is a poor photo demonstrating how we keep track of running totals on our mechanical hour meter: [Link provided in case the photo doesn't appear in this post...]

In hopes this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill