Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2020, 16:50   #1

Here's a Covid Riddle for you...

I live in Canada. I have a plan to purchase a boat in NZ and have it sailed to Hawaii by a New Zealander and a Canadian. I would then fly to Hawaii from Canada and sail the boat home. The two who delivered it, would then fly back to NZ from Hawaii.

How possible is this? I know I can fly from Canada to the States, but not sure if the two coming from the south can make the delivery and then fly back home...

Any answers would be most appreciated. Please don't pick apart my logic here, just want some facts.

Thanks!
Old 14-07-2020, 16:55   #2

Boat: Lancer 36
Re: Here's a Covid Riddle for you...

You would need to quarantine in a hotel in Hawaii for 14 days at your own expense.
Old 14-07-2020, 17:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsail360 View Post
I live in Canada. I have a plan to purchase a boat in NZ and have it sailed to Hawaii by a New Zealander and a Canadian. I would then fly to Hawaii from Canada and sail the boat home. The two who delivered it, would then fly back to NZ from Hawaii.

How possible is this? I know I can fly from Canada to the States, but not sure if the two coming from the south can make the delivery and then fly back home...

Any answers would be most appreciated. Please don't pick apart my logic here, just want some facts.

Thanks!
How would you fly from Canada to the US? The border is closed for non-essential travel.
Old 14-07-2020, 18:11   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
How would you fly from Canada to the US? The border is closed for non-essential travel.
Hahaha not unless he’s driving to Hawaii. I would first check to make sure Hawaii will let you in. The lower 48 will but not too sure about the islands.
Old 14-07-2020, 18:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
You would need to quarantine in a hotel in Hawaii for 14 days at your own expense.

And one would have to determine if they could return to NZ after first having spent two weeks on board the boat in quarantine upon arrival in Hawaii before being able to make landfall. Then if they can return to NZ, they certainly will have a two week quarantine upon arriving there. So four weeks in quarantine for the NZers.

The New Zealanders arriving by boat will require a B1/B2 visa to enter the US. The US has suspended visa processing at foreign Embassies and Consulates during the Covid. They would need to check with the US State Department in New Zealand to see if they could schedule an interview, kind of unlikely presently.

Reference for non-immigrant visa application:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...plication.html

So not a good time to be buying boats or traveling for non-essential purposes. Best to be a 2021 adventure.
Old 14-07-2020, 18:37   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As NaClyDog wrote, as of today, the Canadian border is still closed to travel. As a Canadian citizen, I believe you could get back in, and would have to quarantine at the CA end, but I do not believe you will be allowed onto a plane (if any at all are going to HI from CA at this time.) The situation is still extremely fluid.

I think that HI will possibly let you in, but you will have to quarantine there for 14 days at your own expense. You would have to negotiate with them if you could do it on your boat. Their problem, of course is that they have already have people try and cheat on the quarantine rules, and some of the penalties may increase. One possible consequence of non-compliance is confiscation of the boat and deportation of yourself. No idea whether they would get that strict or not.

Also, I do not know whether they can put the Kiwis immediately on a return flight. The Kiwis may have to do quarantine at both ends of their voyage, as well, and on your dollars, if they would be paid delivery crew.
In a world without a Covid 19 pandemic, your answers would probably be a lot different. No one can control how people will answer a thread's questions.

Although the question is slightly different this time, you will find some input on the subject already, Neil, here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-234378-4.html

Normal delivery fees will have to take into consideration quarantine times and where the quarantine would take place. Negotiated in advance, I'm pretty sure.

Ann
Old 14-07-2020, 20:12   #7

Boat: Kristen 52

The Canadian will not be able to fly back to NZ.
Old 14-07-2020, 20:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
The Canadian will not be able to fly back to NZ.
Doesn’t really matter right now.
By the time the boat gets from NZ to Hawaii
everything will be different
Just ask all the boats that had to get back to Europe
from the Caribbean. The OCC has a group discussion on
Facebook all about it. In March I had plans to
Join a boat in Antigua for a late May departure for
the UK. Didn’t happen Antigua closed in between.
Your idea is risky in today’s world
Cheers
Neil
Old 14-07-2020, 20:53   #9

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Look at the list for essential stuff, not too hard to find something that qualifies.
Old 15-07-2020, 04:42   #10

Don't leave the goat with the cabbage
Old 15-07-2020, 07:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing302 View Post
Don't leave the goat with the cabbage
So is the goat the Canadian in Canada that will fly to Hawaii, or the Canadian in New Zealand that will sail to Hawaii and not be allowed to return to New Zealand, or the New Zealander that will spend four weeks in quarantine?

I completely failed to recognize the issue of a Canadian whose travel is for non-essential / non-critical purposes attempting to reenter New Zealand which country has closed its borders.

Official guidance of New Zealand: https://safetravel.govt.nz/covid-19-...19-coronavirus

ALERT - COVID-19 - Do not travel overseas at this time. Due to the difficulty travellers are experiencing returning home, New Zealanders overseas need to take steps to stay safely where they are and shelter in place.
And in this instance, they literally would mean OVERSEAS, i.e. sailing a boat.

Official Guidance of Canada:

Official Global Travel Advisories
Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada and avoid all cruise ship travel until further notice. I think they would also advise to avoid yacht travel.

Many countries continue to have strict travel restrictions in place, and the availability of options for international transportation remain limited. As a result you may have difficulty returning to Canada. While some countries are partially opening their borders, we continue to advise against non-essential travel outside of Canada. We also continue to advise that you avoid all cruise ship travel until further notice.

The governments of those destinations that have opened their borders to tourists could impose strict travel restrictions suddenly, should they experience an increase in cases of COVID-19. International transportation options could be reduced significantly, making it difficult for you to return to Canada. There are no plans to offer additional repatriation flights. Should you decide to travel despite our advisories, know that you might have to remain abroad longer than you expected.

If you choose to travel despite these advisories:

you may have difficulty obtaining essential products and services
you may suddenly face strict movement restrictions and quarantines at designated facilities and at your own cost
your insurance may not cover your travel or medical expenses
we may have limited capacity to offer you consular services.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

New Zealand Border Closure and Exceptions Notice:

The New Zealand border is closed
The New Zealand border is currently closed to almost all travellers wanting to travel to New Zealand by either air or sea.

There are some exceptions to the closure
There are 2 reasons why you might be allowed to travel to and enter New Zealand while the border is closed — either:

you qualify as someone to whom the border closure does not apply, or
we consider that you have a critical purpose for travel while the border is closed and grant you a visa which recognises this.
To gain approval to travel under one of these reasons, most people must:

submit a request to INZ
be invited to apply for a visa or variation of conditions, which if approved will allow them entry.
A small group of people do not need to seek approval before they travel, such as New Zealand citizens.

NOTE
The starting point for consideration is that the New Zealand border is closed for all but critical travel, and that protecting public health in New Zealand is paramount.

Who may travel to New Zealand without first seeking approval
If you belong in one of these categories you may travel to and enter New Zealand without first seeking approval:

New Zealand citizens, permanent residents and residents with valid travel conditions (excluding people granted a resident visa outside New Zealand and who are travelling to New Zealand on that resident visa for the first time).
Partners, dependent children (aged 19 years or under if they hold a temporary visa or 24 and under if they hold a resident visa) of New Zealand citizens or residents who hold a visa based on their relationship with a New Zealand citizen or resident partner or parent.
Diplomats who hold a post in New Zealand.
Who should seek approval before travelling to New Zealand
There are a small number of additional, limited exceptions to the ban on travelling to and entering New Zealand. This applies to people who already hold a temporary New Zealand visa as well as to people who don’t have a New Zealand visa.

If you belong in one of these categories you should request approval to travel to New Zealand:

Partners, dependent children (aged 19 years or under) or legal guardians of New Zealand citizens or residents who do not hold a visa based on their relationship and either:
are travelling with their New Zealand citizen or resident family member, or
ordinarily reside in New Zealand.
Australian citizens and permanent residents who normally live in New Zealand.
Critical health workers.
Samoan and Tongan citizens making essential travel which has been agreed to by their government and the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Partners and dependent children (aged 19 years and under) of a work, student or visitor visa holder in New Zealand who hold a valid visa and are normally resident in New Zealand.
Critical humanitarian travel.

You will need to demonstrate in your request to travel that you meet one of the critical purposes above. If we believe you have a critical purpose, you will be invited to apply for a visa or variation of conditions. You will need to provide sufficient evidence with this application to demonstrate you meet the requirements of the visa and that you should be granted a visa that allows you to travel to New Zealand while the border is closed.

Employers may also apply to bring critical workers to New Zealand. This cannot be applied for by individual workers.

Replacement CARGO ship crew arriving by air Note does not apply to non-cargo ships.
Replacement cargo ship crew can submit a request to travel to New Zealand by air to join a cargo ship departing New Zealand.

You may be asked to provide the following additional information:

copy of seaman’s book with evidence of engagement as a crew member on the claimed ship, or
correspondence from the ship owner, authorised agent or employer of crew detailing your role on the ship and intended crew replacement dates, or
correspondence from the New Zealand-based shipping agent confirming the crew movements and arrival/departure dates of the ship.
Upon arriving in New Zealand replacement cargo ship crew must travel quickly and directly by private transport to their ship or managed isolation facility.

Ship crew arriving by sea
Quarantine and entry restrictions apply to ships and all those aboard.

Maritime sector | Immigration New Zealand

Ship owners, authorised agents and employers of crew can submit a request for foreign crew to travel to New Zealand by sea. Requests from individual marine crew will not be considered.

Approval in Principle for Marine Crew arriving by the maritime border request form (INZ 1350)PDF 259KB

Complete the form and email with Ministry of Health approval document (if required) to maritime.arrivals@mbie.govt.nz.

Approved foreign crew on a permitted ship can be invited to apply for a visa or variation of visa conditions to allow them to travel to New Zealand.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions
Old 15-07-2020, 08:24   #12

You make it sound like you have an insurmountable paradox on your hands. Every state in the US and every country in the world have well published and posted documentation on their travel restrictions and requirements.

Hawaii:
https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.o...l-coronavirus/

New Zealand:
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions

Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...th-advice.html

It took you longer to draft the post than it would have taken to Google it. Don't make other people do your homework for you.
Old 15-07-2020, 09:40   #13

I appreciate everyones response, even this last post. Asking for insight from those who have direct experience travelling in these difficult times, is hardly improper. Your suggestion I google information (which I have done) does not make up for first hand knowledge by those who have made passages and can offer advice..
Old 15-07-2020, 09:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsail360 View Post
I appreciate everyones response, even this last post. Asking for insight from those who have direct experience travelling in these difficult times, is hardly improper. Your suggestion I google information (which I have done) does not make up for first hand knowledge by those who have made passages and can offer advice..
It's really not trivial getting first hand knowledge at the moment as most people are in forced travel restrictions currently.
Old 15-07-2020, 10:17   #15

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

If it’s any sort of a production boat, it would seem that purchasing it in Canada would make more sense when you factor in all the costs of delivery crew, provisioning, flights, etc.-even if it’s priced considerably higher.

Thinking aloud, what would be the implications of an offshore delivery of a boat purchased from the PNW?

JD
Closed Thread