Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 08:23   #1
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Herreshoff-designed Bristol 26

BRISTOL 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I assume very different from the Alberg-designed Bristol 27 ? Can't find much googling

Context for my requirements, please post there not here, if you have more general advice or "other issues" to discuss about my needs themselves http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html

________
TL;DR summary, in priority order:

Beam maximum 8'6" (hard limit, deal breaker, yes I know will mean "camping" style discomfort and slow speed)

Seaworthy: structural integrity, *designed for* survivability in eventual/occasional blue water passage making, best possible safety for its occupants when the sea gets rough. Also safety around reefs (yes I know these will limit speed upwind)

Also sea-kindly, with the least tiring motion.

Liveaboard space & "comfort", headroom, storage capacity.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:21   #2
cruiser

Re: Herreshoff-designed Bristol 26

Googled a bit more

Apparently a straight rename of Sailstar 26 when acquired by Pearson and merged into Bristol ?

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6449
similar to
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6448

Both the Bristol 24 & 27 seem well suited to getting upfitted for passage making

______
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=507842

This link The Bristol 26 - information for cruising sailors is dead

So is http://www.bristolowners.org/26/bristol26.html, but Wayback yields https://web.archive.org/web/20110703...bristol26.html

_____
posts from a Sailnet reviews, could not find a negative word:

A solidly-built, beautiful Herreschoff design.

Handles rough weather well, heels elegantly requiring only a light touch on the helm even in 15-20 knot winds. Roomy and comfy below for a 26 footer.

I installed a Garhauer traveller across the front of the lazarette and converted the dinette table to let it fold down for more room in the main cabin.

Pushed easily by a 10 horse motor that is kept quiet by the roomy, insulated lazarette. We love this boat!

______

Have you been aboard the Bristol 26? They are amazingly well designed, , well built, easy to sail, and spacious, I had a 33 ' that was not as spacious inside as the B26 is . This is one excellent yacht, call the owners, go for a sail. You will buy it then and there, I fell in love with mine big time !

______
Old 22-06-2018, 09:52   #3
cruiser

So I guess there's not much experience out there with this specific boat?

There's one for sail 7 hours' drive away I'm thinking of driving to check it out, sounds good, reasonably priced, owner motivated and flexible about payment, free storage etc.

Surveyor recommendations in Annapolis or points south?

I'm a complete noob would be first boat I own since Sunfish / dinghies decades ago. Anyone in the area like to come along help check it out? 8-)

On the Maryland side of the Potomac, near Chesapeake Bay.

Also any idea where I could get sample purchase contracts? I'm concerned about losing my deposit if the survey doesn't check out, also if he keeps possession at his dock until I've finished paying it off, will need to save up for a trailer to get it home. . .
Old 23-06-2018, 11:58   #4

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I'm a complete noob and would be first boat I own since Sunfish / dinghies decades ago.
John,

4,544 posts in less than 18 months? That's roughly 253 per month or 8 to 9 per day. Every day.

While I applaud your enthusiasm and wish to help with your dream, maybe, just maybe, (as my Dad used to say) you should take a chill pill. Take a deep breath, calm down and read more, study more and type less. I base this on what you wrote above. You, are a newbie to all this.

Thousands of wanna be dreamers have come and gone with the same hopes and wishes that you have now. Most just ended up on the scrap heap of dreamers that never did anything. Since I do not want to see your name added to the pile, I say to you with respect... just slow down a little so you don't burn out. OK?

Read more. Type less. Get off the computer and go hang out on the docks where the boats and sailors are.

Good luck to you mate! I would like nothing more than to see you out here with us someday.
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 15:37   #5
cruiser

Appreciate the life advice, but there are several compelling factors preventing that for now.

Finding a great boat at a crazy-bargain price and getting it on stands in my yard will be a great step in the right direction.

I am hoping to find a substitute caregiver so I can go check this boat out in person, and see if it and the current owner are as genuinely fine as they appear to be from here.

I've just got very little info to go on for Bristol 26 specifically, other than the general reputation of the company, and the apparently great naval design talent of Halsey Herreshoff.

I did find some hyperbole from a scammy sounding "broker" selling a bit larger version:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/-/202346314118

Now it's sold, need to click through to the old auction from whatever "similar" newer listing eBay redirects you to.
_______
The Very Word "Bristol" is a synonym for quality construction and luxury - a reputation well earned!! One of the most well regarded medium size ocean cruisers ever built.

Designed by Legendary Yacht Designer Halsey Herreshoff. Beautiful Spacious Interior Woodwork is Beautiful & well maintained as you can see in the photos.

The Keel is the Deal. Design/Weight distribution of these lead-filled molded keels make for some of the smoothest motion in heavy seas with tremendous sailing performance & safety. Many of these vessels have circumnavigated or achieved major ocean crossings. The right size to be easily single handed.

_______
And if anyone can help as requested in my #3 post above, or any feedback on this model boat, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 23-06-2018, 17:21   #6

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

OK. I give. Carry on dude. Over and out.

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 18:14   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

John, be sure to find out where the packing gland for the prop shaft is located. In one Bristol, the engine had to be slid out before you could get to it to adjust it, not a situation I'd want to go to sea with.

I'll leave you to decide whether you still want to say "all Bristols are well built". To me it's like most generalizations, some will be better built than others. And, perhaps the location of the shaft seal is not really a question of build, but of design. Nonetheless, it is one of those things that could sink the boat.

Ann
Old 23-06-2018, 20:47   #8
cruiser

Thanks Ann great to have something to check for.

As well as the general caution on putting too much stock in the "brand names" involved.

The owner is leaving overseas after the fourth, so maybe I'll just let it slide for now, try to gather more hard data on the boat from here, and line up a good surveyor for in the fall.

If it was a Nor'sea, Cape Dory or Defender in great shape for a song, she'd have gone by now, no matter how remote the location.