Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 16:53   #1

Boat: Looking for 30’ BCC
Hess cutter

Hi, I am Australian looking (in love with, might be a better description) for a 30’ Hess cutter along the lines of “Taliesen”. But I want an engine and some electronics.
At the moment I can see three on the Internet. One in LA and one in LaPaz. And one here in Aust. I’ve seen the Aust one. All very similar asking price. Age varies.

https://lapazcruiserssupply.com/prod...hannel-cutter/

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/199...esign-7385393/

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...-7450949/?Cr=4

Besides the obvious care and fondling a wooden boat requires what sort of negatives and positives can be attached to a boat like this?
Note that I’m an Aussie potentially viewing, surveying and purchasing in another country. What sorta things needi look out for.?

Thanks
Andrewpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 18:22   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Hess cutter

The layouts of the three boats appear quite different from each other. The Australian one seems quite rustic compared to the others, with the galley across from the head, up by the mast. Is that the best location for cooking underway? It's also the oldest, but has the highest asking price. The one in La Paz also has the galley forward, with the sink outboard and the stove closer to midships. Sinks are usually located closer to midships so that they can drain on either tack. A gimbaled stove will work midships or outboard. The bathtub on the LaPaz boat seems redundant if you can fill the cockpit or jump over the side whenever you need a wash. Happy hunting!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 19:05   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The boat in La Paz appears in top shape and has a water maker. I’d repurpose the space currently wasted by the bath. A thorough survey by a wood boat construction pro is mandatory and every system must be stress tested to ensure they actually work. Keep in mind that many boats make it as far as Mexico before the dream of a cruising life meets reality. It may just be a real gem.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 19:11   #4

Thanks PSK, yes the Aus one is “rustic” . Wiring behind panel looks rugged and I had questions about deck. Both signs that have returned me to the hunt. Easiest purchase though and it’s 240v.

The LaPaz boat galley I could live with. It’d be better near companion but the Pardeys gave some reasoning for that position but I’ve gotta look it up. Taliesen is similar layout. It’d be shame to ruin that bath by using it for storage.

Black boat is best construction to my mind being strip plank with glass overlay.
Dunno about that big bunk though. It’d be easy to change to pilot berth I think.
Newest looking engine.

I’m actually looking for clues about purchase methods and the bureauococy involved in purchasing in a foreign country (namely an Aussie buying a USA registered boat) and liability insurance requirements etc.

I’ve yet to start the ball rolling so I’m researching presently.
Old 05-02-2022, 19:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
The boat in La Paz appears in top shape and has a water maker. I’d repurpose the space currently wasted by the bath. A thorough survey by a wood boat construction pro is mandatory and every system must be stress tested to ensure they actually work. Keep in mind that many boats make it as far as Mexico before the dream of a cruising life meets reality. It may just be a real gem.
That’s my thoughts exactly. I’ve got other things to take care of until July so maybe it’ll still be around??? Prob not if it’s any good. Shame about distance. Yes , bath in a 30’er, WTF.
Old 05-02-2022, 19:21   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Of the three I would "probably" pick the Oxnard boat.
As for the one with the forward galley; having done some cooking in a more forward galley I didn't find it all that much different.
It seems that when the weather kicks-up cooking in a small boat becomes an exercise in frustration anyway.
They are nicely shaped hulls that sail better than would first appear.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 20:14   #7

Being new here, I think it’s better if I ask in the “ Boat ownership” section. Thanks

Tags
cutter