Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 17:22   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: HIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
....before I spent the nearly $1k it was going to cost to have a certified HIN installer visit the boat.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Lordy...

Around $120 in Fremantle in 2002.

Clearly YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 18:34   #17

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hey all, someone has told me CSTW...I guess it has something to do with Coastal Recreation but after the C I am lost...Anybody out there with a Balboa???
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 16:39   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Lordy...

Around $120 in Fremantle in 2002.

Clearly YMMV

Did that include the guy coming down to the boat to install it? From memory the paperwork for issuing of the HIN was about $120 but everyone I spoke to wanted buckets of money to actually come down and attach the little plate. And I was TOLD that installing it yourself is not an option. This was in 2012. When we did the trailer sailer in 2009 we just drove the boat on the trailer to the workshop that did the HIN and I think they charged about $250 in total.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 17:19   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It was 2002 but maybe I still remember

He walked over from his office to the boat on the slip perhaps 80 metres.

Maybe the paperwork was $120 and maybe he charged some more but whatever, it wasn't a showstopper dollar wise. I was buying the boat at time and the transfer couldnot becompleted until the HIN was sorted.

Everyone was being really helpful, presumably because I was the first person in a year showing some interest in a 30+ year old plywood boat with rotting chainplates and a worn out petrol motor.

In fact, they were tripping over each other in being helpful , so maybe the price was discounted. The HIN provider, the broker and the chandelier(sp?) Worked out of the same building. The only outsider was the surveyor
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 19:58   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Maybe they were tipping their hat to your great taste in boats! But they do sound like a motivated and pragmatic team.

I find the whole price thing so variable and heaven help you if they figure out you are out of your depth, as I most certainly was when we bought the Swanson. More pucker-up moments in that month of my life than my entire teenage years.

Matt.

P.S. Reading the Tassie Cruising guide and dreaming.