Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2020, 11:59   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Honda 9.9 25” shaft / Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
Better too long than too short..... you don't want the motor/prop catching air when going over the bigger waves. as far as keeping the motor out of the water, the mounting point to power head does not change. Pearson worked that out for you.

If its a good deal, buy it. the 25" sailor model is kinda rare so there is a good market for it if you need to resell it.
They did make a 28"' with trim and tilt with the 15 HP. not sure the 9.9. A great sailboat outboard.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 13:25   #17

My Honda 9.9 will tilt completely Horizontally but it’s 55 inches from the top of the cowling to the bottom of the skeg. Yea they don’t make the best dingy motor. They are so long that they splash a lot and can torque a small boat bottom side up real quick. I can take measurement off mine if you like. No problem
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 13:34   #18

I like the Honda 9.9 even though it is heavy, and still have it even though I sold the sail boat. From what you are saying I would suggest you also purchase a 2.5 or 3.0 small motor for the dinghy. You can keep it on a bracket on the rails. That is what I have on my current sailboat. You are not going to want to be pulling the motor off the transom every time you want to use the dinghy. Also a small kicker will move your boat by tying the dinghy alongside the mother ship.
Old 18-03-2020, 15:52   #19

Boat: 1984 Pearson 34 & 1974 Pearson 26

Some great points to ponder here. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this post. To be honest, part of me wants to treat myself to this motor instead of relying on the ‘86 Evinrude 9.9 that’s currently hanging off the transom. As this is my first sailboat, and as I hope to “sell” the family on the concept of rewarding, non-digital entertainment and skills building personal growth, I want a quiet and reliable motor instead of hoping that what I have doesn’t fail at the worst possible time. And Honda stuff pretty much equals reliability. Sounds like I’m talking myself into buying this motor...!
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 10:31   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Some great points to ponder here. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this post. To be honest, part of me wants to treat myself to this motor instead of relying on the ‘86 Evinrude 9.9 that’s currently hanging off the transom. As this is my first sailboat, and as I hope to “sell” the family on the concept of rewarding, non-digital entertainment and skills building personal growth, I want a quiet and reliable motor instead of hoping that what I have doesn’t fail at the worst possible time. And Honda stuff pretty much equals reliability. Sounds like I’m talking myself into buying this motor...!
Sounds like a good move. I've had two OMC 9.9 engines that come with boats both had failed do the upper main bearings going with age. the last I replaced with a Honda 15. I think the 9.9 is basically the same engine. A sweat engine but a little heavy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, pearson