Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 07:58   #46

Boat: Moody 47
Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

Well, I must admit I knew as soon as I posted this thread that it would turn to a Hunter bashing thread! That was not my aim but must say am not disappointed, just find it humorous and think we can all agree that ANY mass produced product (such as Hunter, Bavaria, Jeanneau, etc) some are going to be sub standard (they should not be but that is the law of averages).

However, even some of the prestige makers have suffered epic fails, multi million dollar Oyster losing her keel anyone?

Anyway, appreciate the helpful advice given.

DTD
davethedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:58   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

bigger boat = bigger $$$$.....it's that simple!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 12:44   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
bigger boat = bigger $$$$.....it's that simple!!
Yes, but I think that the question asked was "is the added cost worth it?"

Realistically no yacht makes fiscal sense... we are paying for the pleasure we get from ownership and usage, and for some more pleasure is worth more money.

Jim
Old 17-12-2021, 13:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Anything beats a Hunter... That's the YUGO of sailing boats... get the better made boat...
Absolutely rubbish. Hunters, Catalinas, Bene/Jene’s, Bavaria are all fine for going just about anywhere short of the horns. Provided it’s a well maintained vessel & additional handholds, fuel capacity, offshore sail plan, life raft, radar, etc have been added. The Hunter 50, and the DS 44/45 are extremely seaworthy. Jive ass armchair comment.
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 13:47   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Hi all,

Seen a 1991 year 47 foot boat we like and looks to be ideal for us as in good condition and a "blue water" type vessel. Large fuel and water tanks, decent sails and rigging, semi skeg hung rudder, decent keel etc

We currently own a 2004 Hunter Legend 41AC that we have fitted solar, wind gen, etc but we are finding her a little small now as we could really do with a bunk room for storage etc

So, we are wanting to sail across the Atlantic (from here in the Canaries) this time next year and then have a few years in that sort of region.

Now, we could outfit the current boat with a hydrovane, watermaker, inner forestay etc and spend about 20K Euro doing that....but it will still only be 41ft and a light displacement boat.

Or, we could get this other boat, fit a hydrovane, watermaker, etc then sell the current boat and I calculate the cost to change to be about 70K euro/. This would give us a bigger, heavier, more tankage, boat (centre cockpit) but it would be 13 years older!

So, what do people think, as we are erring towards the bigger older boat as we could do with the extra space and just got this feeling that IF (that is IF) we were caught in really bad weather the current boat would not handle it as well as the older heavier boat.

DTD
You need to consider age of the possible new boat. At 30 years the peripheral stuff can drive you crazy.
-Tanks are a big one. Find out where they are and how difficult it would be to replace them.
-Waterlogged Rudder is another , although newer boats can have an issue too after 5 years or so.
-Chainplates?
-Rigging?
-Engine?
-Possible blister history which is now covered up?

Just saying, be very careful you dont get yourself into a 2 year rebuild rather than a way to go where you want.
You may find a boat that some owner has already done this stuff, maybe.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 14:21   #51

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Hi all,
Or, we could get this other boat, fit a hydrovane, watermaker, etc then sell the current boat and I calculate the cost to change to be about 70K euro/. This would give us a bigger, heavier, more tankage, boat (centre cockpit) but it would be 13 years older!

So, what do people think, as we are erring towards the bigger older boat as we could do with the extra space and just got this feeling that IF (that is IF) we were caught in really bad weather the current boat would not handle it as well as the older heavier boat.
As always it is a matter of basic decision making considerations:
1. Intended use: North Wind 47, if well maintained is a great boat for ocean crossing at any age. Hunter, at any age, is not. Personally looking at the case, it wouldn’t make much sense to invest more in a Hunter in an attempt to make her capable for a serious offshore cruiser, as the core is not suitable for the intended use. Yes, technically it is possible but I, personally wouldn’t trust it.

2. Budget: if you have the budget and you’re serious about offshore cruising, the North Wind, or alike, these are the kind of boats you want to have. Sell the Hunter to local coastal/day sailors and get yourself the real deal.

You can of course get at a much lower cost blue ocean cruisers (probably without adding anything to the proceeds of selling the Hunter), at the range of 35-39’ that will serve you very well but most recent years longer term offshore cruisers do prefer a 42+, way more comfortable, more space and the ability to add friends/crew, especially for long crossings without scarifying too much comfort.

Best of luck!
Old 17-12-2021, 14:27   #52

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Keep the Hunter. She's a well built boat (the legends are great!). Mine is 1990 37.5 and we've been through some stuff! She's handled it all with grace. No hurricanes, though, but some serious squalls in the ocean, and some inland derechos.

Your boat is roomy, has a good sail plan, and really good tankage for the size of the vessel. Also, the galley is well laid out for cooking underway.

Her systems are simple and fixable in remote places. Easy to carry spares. Your engine is also relatively simple to repair if needed. Most importantly, you know her.

All of this said, I am reminded of what captain mal Reynolds said,"

“You know what the first rule of sailing is? …Love. You can learn all the math in the ‘verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don’t love, she’ll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she’s hurting ‘fore she keens. Makes her a home.”

Best wishes for your journey!

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 15:13   #53

Alot depends on your sailing style. We cruised from Long beach California through the Panama canal and up to Washington DC. We sailed as much as possible. We ran into other sailors that would motor if they weren't doing 7 knots with their hair on fire. Went back through our logs for the first 1,200 miles we motored for 30 hours. One passage we averaged 1 (one) knot over 24 hours, a total of 24 miles. It was fine the engine was off (hate the engine noise) and the windvane was steering (i also hate steering). As far as boat choice all has to do if you trust the boat and your skills. This was in the 80s and didn't have the advantages of today's technology. We ran into heavy weather. The strongest was a 24 hour period when the wind was 60+knots. We were going south from Costa Rica to Panama. When the wind got above 30+knots we would usually heave-to. In my opinion there is no reason to fight the weather. We weren't in a hurry so if it took an extra day was okay. We sailed from San blas islands in Panama to bay islands in Honduras..700 miles so it should have taken us about 7 days. The weather was very strange and it took us 14 days. So consider if you don't mind going slow.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 16:24   #54

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Traditional

Everyone has an opinion, including me. I like heavy deep boats, but I cruise some crappy seas as of now in the PNW. The 47' boat you are talking about weighs less than my 38 footer does. I like ones that are over built like a tank, I don't want a boat like I read about last week, they hit a sunfish and it sunk. But that's my choice and I'll keep my opinions to myself. Here are a couple of videos I like as to boats types, construction and such.

Kudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 18:40   #55

Quote:
Well, I must admit I knew as soon as I posted this thread that it would turn to a Hunter bashing thread! That was not my aim but must say am not disappointed, just find it humorous and think we can all agree that ANY mass produced product (such as Hunter, Bavaria, Jeanneau, etc) some are going to be sub standard (they should not be but that is the law of averages).

However, even some of the prestige makers have suffered epic fails, multi million dollar Oyster losing her keel anyone?

Anyway, appreciate the helpful advice given.

DTD
Not necessarily: Some of the mass production boats can do the job very well and I wouldn't consider replacing for an ocean crossing most of the Catalinas (42' and up), Jeanneau and Beneteau 44-46 from the late 90's were very well built, although not considered a typical blue water cruisers, I wouldn't hesitate to plan ocean cruising with most of these.
Old 17-12-2021, 19:29   #56

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Hunter bashing. Sometimes deserved.

I’ve seen Hunters I can see daylight (like two fingers worth) between the hull and deck. Not one, more. Scary.

Effing subfloor supports are crap plywood. Thing creaks like it being pulled apart in small seas. Anchor locker sucks, too shallow.

We own a 37.5 and I love it.

It survived the years better than any Beneteau or Jeanneau we looked at, and that’s with crappy care. Simply better materials. The far newer B423 is ergonomically better, but the cabin materials are junk IKEA

Buy the right tool for the job. I won’t sail ours across an ocean, and I won’t drive a Hyundai at 200kph. If you need a SIG, buy a SIG. Otherwise a S&W is fine.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 20:00   #57

Boat: Volkscruiser

Tetepare you raise an interesting point about the right tool for a job. The Hyundai analogy is apt as I own a Hyundai and easily reach 140kph, I would go faster but cannot afford to lose my licence. A quick google shows the Hyundai I30N has a top speed of 250kph.
Anyway my point is all we have is opinions and somewhere someone is taking that Hunter or other production yacht on a voyage most of us wouldn't dream off. I am basing that opinion on the countless yachts I have surveyed here in Australia that have arrived from overseas. I am not saying I would go offshore in a lot of the yachts I have surveyed but people do.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 20:30   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Hunter bashing. Sometimes deserved.

I’ve seen Hunters I can see daylight (like two fingers worth) between the hull and deck. Not one, more. Scary.

Effing subfloor supports are crap plywood. Thing creaks like it being pulled apart in small seas. Anchor locker sucks, too shallow.

We own a 37.5 and I love it.

It survived the years better than any Beneteau or Jeanneau we looked at, and that’s with crappy care. Simply better materials. The far newer B423 is ergonomically better, but the cabin materials are junk IKEA

Buy the right tool for the job. I won’t sail ours across an ocean, and I won’t drive a Hyundai at 200kph. If you need a SIG, buy a SIG. Otherwise a S&W is fine.
The OP asked for an honest opinion. Kudos for the most honest opinion here!

And I can add that I would prefer to join a friend on a Hunter, say 37-41 for daysailing and close to shore weekend at a good weather over my own Contest 43 - simply because it is more fun in such conditions.
Old 18-12-2021, 05:48   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Going only for length increase does not tell the whole story.

A better parameter to evaluate is the displacement of the vessel.

Mast height clearance also comes into play as does draft, etc, length alone does not convey a sense of size of a boat.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 08:21   #60

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Just my 2 cents worth. When cruising on my little Hallberg-Rassy 35, I have stayed in many anchorages. I always noticed it was the "bleach bottle" boats that tend to bob erratically if even the slightest swell came in.Maybe it was due to there very large flat bottoms and light displacement. I would watch their masts swinging to and fro. I always thought that must be very uncomfortable. I notice when those boats are in a slip, the water tends to slap under the transoms. I will say after being onboard one of them, they are great for entertaining people. I think that is their greatest asset.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, current