Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 12:22   #16

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
Re: How do I rig reefing lines with 5 cringles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	043AF2B5-CF9D-4496-ACCC-02EB66369048.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	219462

Click image for larger version

Name:	5168DE16-8924-4475-9866-AFE27CA8E4E4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	219463

So I have the one reefing line in- tried it out and it works. However, my problem now is the port side has a block on the boom, the starboard side does not. I wanted to put my second reefing line on the starboard side- I can’t. Yes I could install a block , but two reefing lines were used last year and there was no block there.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:37   #17

Not sure the question, 2 goose necks? Cant see the cringle to even understand it. Is it a loop or a cringle? You simply hook it on a hook if you have one. If you want lines instead, run a line through the cringle, dead end one side of mast and line to cleat on the other.... ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Attachment 219462

Attachment 219463

So I have the one reefing line in- tried it out and it works. However, my problem now is the port side has a block on the boom, the starboard side does not. I wanted to put my second reefing line on the starboard side- I can’t. Yes I could install a block , but two reefing lines were used last year and there was no block there.
Did the 2nd (Stbd) reef line go into the boom and exit at the mast down to that empty double block at the mast base? Alonside to the red/white line?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 13:30   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Did the 2nd (Stbd) reef line go into the boom and exit at the mast down to that empty double block at the mast base? Alonside to the red/white line?
Yeah, that's what I am wondering too. And the line coming down from the block under the gooseneck, is that your mainsheet? It looks like the double block on the mast step plate was intended for the two reefs but with the vang and other line in there its getting crowded there. It would be nice to see a shot of your deck organizers too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 13:38   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
So much easier to have an in-mast furling main. No more problems.
Andrew
Not always so, according to another thread about how the mainsail got stuck partway out of the mast and wouldn't go either way without some serious work.

Anyway, back to this thread, one last thing you'll want to be sure is that when reefed in and tight, then the stress on the first slide above the reef is not pulling it horizontally away from the mast too much, if any. Sometimes the reef cringles are installed too close to the luff of the sail and depending on the location of your reef hook on the gooseneck, it may not be pulling that reef tack cringle close enough to the mast. The bolt rope should be completely straight, going up from the tack. If not, then there will be a lot of horizontal pull on that first slide above it.

I had this situation on my boat when I bought it, and I have seen the same problem on other boats. My solution ended up not using the reef hooks at all. I use a short length of 1/2" rope to run from a cleat on the mast, through the reef tack cringle, then to another cleat on the other side of the mast. Just happened to have a couple cleats already there in the right position. One thing that solves is that often your cringle will fall out of the reef hook before you manage to get the reefing line tight enough to hold it in.
Old 16-07-2020, 16:41   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
So much easier to have an in-mast furling main. No more problems.
Andrew
Until anything goes wrong and you are stuck with too much sail
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 16:46   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure the question, 2 goose necks?
I assumed he meant the two reef hooks at the gooseneck
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 20:42   #23

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
They frequently are rigged, with reefing "pennants" , "buntlines" or "ties", short lengths of line running through the small cringle with an overhand knot on either side to keep them in place.

These should be light line which will break easily. When using them, wrap them around the sail and tie with a reef knot (that's about the only tie you every use one f those on a boat) to keep the foot bundled up - but don't wrap them around the boom! That's assuming you sail is loose footed. If your main has a boltrope running through a boom track, tie them very loosely round the boom and use even lighter line that will break if any load on goes it.
I use light bungy, not ties. Every-so-often (few years or so) some (overtired) clown forgets to undo one of the ties before shaking the reef out, or the deckhand assures the skipper they're all out - and they're not.

You notice the bungy stretching, maybe breaking, hopefully before the sail rips around the eye. I think safer even than very light ties. This esp. as the sail gets older.

Anyone got further thoughts?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote