Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 02:45   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: How far out to sea is safe in a hurricane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
There's an important bit of information missing from both the Buys Ballot's Law video shown above and the rhyme...

Buys Ballot's Law is only good in the northern hemisphere. Once you are south of the equator it is 180 degrees out since the lows and highs circulate in opposite direction.

" the boy should on the burning deck as naked as a stick ,
he knew the low was to his left , cause the wind was tickling his ......"

Dave
Old 20-07-2014, 05:32   #32

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
" the boy should on the burning deck as naked as a stick ,
he knew the low was to his left , cause the wind was tickling his ......"

Dave
I knew there must be one for the southern hemisphere

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 06:31   #33
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Let me put it this way:

If you're 1000 miles offshore and get caught in a Hurricane you'll probably die. If you're 3 miles offshore and get caught in a hurricane, you'll definitely die.

Hope that clears it up.
Getting caught 3 miles out won’t happen but if you were caught and couldn’t shoot in your survival largely depends on the type of boat and whether the crew could pull through. Remember, the boat that survived the perfect storm was a Westsail 32.
There is a reason why a stout double ender managed to survive that storm, they were built to handle those conditions. Btw, she survived without the crew that was ordered off against the captain’s wishes.

"Definitely die" is too broad a statement. The fact is, a true bluewater boat will outlast her crew when caught in the ****.

BZT
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 07:03   #34
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42
Re: How far out to Sea is Safe in a Hurricane?

Somewhere around 90° N 0° W should be safe enough.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 07:35   #35

Boat: 1981 Flicka 20

Yes, the North Pole. Santa and his elves, or was that snow bunnies, shall keep you safe.
BostonFlicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:29   #36

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC

Satori was caught in deep water. After the evacuation, and after the storm passed, she washed up on a beach.

Had she washed up on the beach during the storm I suspect she would have been pounded to death by the breakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:34   #37
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Satori was caught in deep water. After the evacuation, and after the storm passed, she washed up on a beach.

Had she washed up on the beach during the storm I suspect she would have been pounded to death by the breakers.

true.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:46   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

If you elect to get offshore, rather that seek shelter, then I think some considerations are:

- water depth - you want deep water, so that hurricane waves will not build even taller and steeper due to shallow water,

- no lee shore - you want to be in the lee of the land or else well offshore, just remember the wind may veer, back or go 180 degs round within a very short time,

- etc.

How fast a boat will drift, depends on what boat it is and how much drag device she will be towing. Again, remember that drifting bare poles or otherwise may be the worst option. Most books suggest trying to sail out of the hurricane area rather than letting the conditions drive the boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 14:17   #39

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Can I respectfully ask how many posters in this thread have actually been through a hurricane/cyclone/typhoon at sea.(I know at least two that have) All the rest are not capable or qualified of giving any advice at all on a topic that may well cost a life. God save the brave from internet "experts'
I've been through 3 at sea. First one was on a 390 foot WWII Destroyer in '63 in the Formosa Straits. It caught us with only a few hours warning. It was pretty shallow water so the waves were steep and at closer intervals than if we'd been in much deeper water. Of the 3 that was the worst. It tore away lifelines and boat davits and one of the ships in our squadron lost its stack. That was serious.

The other two were storms we knew were coming and we got underway on a 550 foot Cruiser to escape damage to the piers and ship in port. Still very rough but we were in deeper water off the coast of Virginia out of Norfolk. Often we were weightless and walking at nearly a 45 degree angle, hanging on wherever we could get a handhold. Even for seasoned sailors it is a fearful time.

Nowadays if you watch your weather forecasts you can be tied up securely in port when such storms come through. You never ever want to be in a full storm or a hurricane while you are at sea. Even in ships it is not fun.

With sailing vessels I take no chances of bad weather and watch the forecasts religiously prior to getting underway.
Old 21-07-2014, 08:06   #40
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:

If the captain was aloud to stay on board it is doubtful that she would have washed up on shore. That would be a death knoll for any boat. The point I was trying to make was that a true blue water boat with able crew should get through if caught as long as they have seaway which Satori did.

There have been plenty of incidents where the crew gave up the ship only to realize they should'nt have gotten off in the first place.

BZT
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane