Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 07:23   #1

How important is age

Hi,

How important is age of a boat?

Looking at two different Hallberg Rassy; a Monsun from 1974 which has been taken very good care of by the same owner, with a hull which according to the surveyor is in good condition (no osmosis, no damages, no water in rudder blade) newer well maintained engine (year 2006 and <500 h), new/newer sails in excellent conditions and recently changed/overhauled rigging

vs.

A HR 312 from 1989 (aware of the difference of keel type) which just generally to me seems less well maintain by an unknown number of owners with engine with >3500 h, sails old but generally in fair condition, rigging original I guess. I’m considering having a survey done of the HR 312, but I’m not sure if the difference in age can justify the HR312 being about 24.000 US$ more expensive?

I would eventually like to use the boat for long distance cruising.

Any opinions?
ASDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: How important is age

Long distance cruising is vastly different than daysailing mixed with occasional overnighters. My choice would be based on which boat would have those features prized on long passages, such as good sea berths, robust autopilot, sound mechanical systems, recent electronics, a solid rig with recent standing rigging, etc.
Orion Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:36   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Both boats are over thirty years old. The only bearing age may have with boats that old is insurance, but both are old enough you'd probably run into the same insurance hurdles. Choose based on condition and the age of the various systems on the boats.
dougweibel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Age is one of several factors, so is (ab)use, modifications and maintenance.

A 3 year old boat that has had a hard grounding may have issues if taken offshore. I have delivered 3 HR boats AND LOVE the owner's cabin in the stern. If I was consulting on an older boat purchase, I would have the keel bolts carefully examined. Yes the owner may be competent- but was there that one time when he ran aground hard?

As to sails, the single best investment is a new set of sails! An older main is more prone to jamming in the in-mast furling. Also a new tri-radial jib will pull better, and higher.

Agree about electronics. Especially autopilots- the technology keeps getting better, and yes there is a difference in a new vs 5 y/o AP. The newer one will react better to a quartering sea, and likely use less of the ram, thereby saving electric. As such, plan on upgrading the AP and perhaps other elements in the next 2-3 years.

If you are set on getting an HR, don't jump on the first few you see. It may be worthwhile to see what else comes on the market. Also, by not placing an offer, the price may drop.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:47   #5

Boat: Leopard 51 PowerCat

Both are older, a good surveyor will tell you which old lady had a tough life and which was loved and cared for?
Johan Leopard51 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
import