Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2023, 07:43   #1

How long is a survey valid?

We're seriously interested in a 40' sailboat, the owner's broker has supplied us with a Jun'23 survey....so around 6-7 months old....and the boat has been on the hard (through a hurricane season).

If we go ahead, then we'll (obviously?) have another full survey done; interesting to compare the two, of course.

Question: would an insurance company accept the June'23 survey as valid from the point of view of a cover quote?
2greens1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 07:47   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: How long is a survey valid?

Insurance will often accept a survey as long as it's within the last 2 - 3 years. However, some may be picky about accepting a survey that was done for a previous owner and doesn't have your name on it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 07:49   #3

Yes, I can see that. Particularly as the original survey makes it clear that it's addressed specifically to the current owner (or a previously interested buyer).
2greens1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 08:25   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2greens1red View Post
Yes, I can see that. Particularly as the original survey makes it clear that it's addressed specifically to the current owner (or a previously interested buyer).
A survey commissioned by an owner is often just an insurance survey, not intended to be either objective or thorough. You would be better served obtaining a pre-purchase survey by someone you trust.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 08:29   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve been in the same situation, and the insurance company accepted the previous owner’s survey without question. I suspect this will depend on the company, but I’d certainly try to use it. Insurance surveys are kinda a joke anyway.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 08:59   #6

Boat: Island Packet 29
Question Re: How long is a survey valid?

When youre under contract and time is ticking is not the time to try to save $500 and see what insurance company will and will not accept. You want to approach them with everything complete and ready to go regardless of what you THINK.

This biggest hurdle and headache in boat buying is insurance. Having a brand new survey under your name gives you a stronger case.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 09:08   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2greens1red View Post
We're seriously interested in a 40' sailboat, the owner's broker has supplied us with a Jun'23 survey....so around 6-7 months old....and the boat has been on the hard (through a hurricane season).

If we go ahead, then we'll (obviously?) have another full survey done; interesting to compare the two, of course.

Question: would an insurance company accept the June'23 survey as valid from the point of view of a cover quote?
You don't say where you are but I've been in the business a long time and never heard of a survey being refused by an underwriter because it had someone else's name on it. In Canada it is fairly routine for them to accept a survey up to around 2 years old.
Old 28-12-2023, 09:18   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I had the previous owner's name situation on a survey when I first insured my boat. Most of the companies I talked to didn't care, one or 2 commented on it but accepted it (especially as the previous owner was family, so the last name was the same). There was one company (can't remember who, this was a few years ago) that wouldn't accept the survey, however, as it was 2 years old and in someone else's name.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 12:35   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

A lot of stuff can happen it two years, good and bad. If you're only concerned that your insurance accepts it, and they do, then I guess all's good. I've never tried that, but I have looked at old surveys to get some history on the boat and especially if the owner fixed the things that were flagged. If he didn't fix things he was told were bad then I'd assume he didn't fix or maintain anything.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 12:37   #10

Boat: Islander 36

I recently went through this in California and insurance companies just wanted a survey from within the last 12 months.
Old 28-12-2023, 12:52   #11

Boat: sailboat

[QUOTE=2greens1red;3854942Question: would an insurance company accept the June'23 survey as valid from the point of view of a cover quote?[/QUOTE]

Only the insurance company can answer that, so Whiskey Tango Foxtrot for your post asking here??? Otherwise, the ONLY person who REALLY cares about the condition of a boat is the person who gets stuck with the bills for fixing the boat. That means YOU.

To answer your question for how long a survey is valid: A survey is valid FOR THE INSTANT THE BOAT WAS SURVEYED. Many things can happen in the interim between the survey and when something "happens".
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 13:16   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I would not accept a previous owner's survey. I would at least survey it myself, regardless of what the insurance company would accept.

What the insurance company will accept and the actual state of the vessel may well be two very different things.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 13:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I would not accept a previous owner's survey. I would at least survey it myself, regardless of what the insurance company would accept.

What the insurance company will accept and the actual state of the vessel may well be two very different things.
See the second sentence of the OP's post
Old 28-12-2023, 13:47   #14

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

[QUOTE=Kello;3855053]Only the insurance company can answer that, so Whiskey Tango Foxtrot for your post asking here???

One could ask why you are posting here??

The way forums work is people asking questions and other people hopefully respond with thoughtful answers to content they know something about.

Please don’t feel compelled to respond to every post. Generally speaking people are civil on CF.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 17:27   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

“The way forums work is people asking questions and other people hopefully respond with thoughtful answers to content they know something about.

Please don’t feel compelled to respond to every post. Generally speaking people are civil on CF.”

+1 😀

No way to tell without asking Insurance company. Glad to hear you are commissioning your own pre buy survey. Best of luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey