Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2020, 17:54   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: how long is the build process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I think the OP (and myself) would be interested in a man-hour estimate as well. Beneteau may have a small army of workers in many stations on and off hull, where a smaller builder may only average a few people a day working on the boat. So while Beneteau pushes out a boat every few weeks and a small builder may take many months, that doesn't necessarily mean Beneteau put fewer hours into building the boat.
Anyone have man-hour estimates for building specific boats?
Not a great example since its a high performance cat, but I just spoke to the builder and designer for the Dazcat 1495 and it's a 20,000 hour build. That's at the high end due to needing to fair all interior surfaces- there's ceiling or overhead liner- but it gives an idea of how it can jump for a custom built boat.

Matt
Old 25-06-2020, 18:03   #17

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Jim in North America the items you mention are options that the owner chooses.

Not an opinion.

As a boat builder in Costa Mesa, California, and a boat manufacturer in Largo/Clearwater Florida in the heydays of American boat building ,the 70s, and 80s, I cam assure you it is all about build time, efficiency and cash flow. Few had the needed millions in those days to succeed, sadly.

Where you involved with building the Cal sailboats? The 39 had I guess the Ray Hunt design build in Fla and the original Lapworth design both in CA and FL
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 18:13   #18
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

How long does it take for an Oyster from order date until when the keel falls off right after delivery?
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 20:30   #19

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

This is definitely true. Most of the core components have quality ranges... standing rigging, running rigging, deck hardware, etc... and some can complicate the build process thus adding time (power winches vs. not for example).

and..

non-standard additional options - water maker, AC, Heating etc... each of these have both the basic costs of the system, and the person-hours involved in installation both of which significantly increase cost and obviously the duration of the build from mold to splash.

this can definitely make apples to apples comparisons difficult, but per the other person's note - i was curious about the basic labor hours involved for a relatively systems same set of boats from a high-end builder vs. a production builder.

anyway... this was really all to simply answer my wife's question which was really a passing curiosity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A common opinion, but one that ignores the fact that some builders use smaller winches, less sophisticated rigs, cheaper sail cloth, and so on down the line when compared with higher end yards.

This does not particularly affect build time, but surely affects relative costs.

Jim
Old 25-06-2020, 20:47   #20

I believe that my Production 1986 Catalina 30 took approximately 3 weeks. Frank started sailboat production in California and later opened a second line in Clearwater Fl. Catalina started their production year in July vs. the auto guys who used to start in Sept. July 85 was when my boat was built.
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 07:02   #21

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Back in 2005 Hallberg Rassy was taking about 5 months to build a HR40. Lots of build details, including photos, on this website.

Home Page
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote