Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2022, 16:23   #1

how much

I know the mechanics of sailing pretty well, and have a good bit of experience sailing on lakes. I don't know much about the ocean however. I'm doing the midlife crisis thing, and plan on buying a bluewater boat to live on and cruise the world once I have become competent. What I don't know, is if I will be able to buy one for 30 to 40k with another 10 to 15k of potential repairs/upgrades. I am a very competent carpenter and "builder/fixer" so I can do any work myself. Thoughts? I would prefer to buy something that needs very little work below the waterline.
thnkfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 16:39   #2

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: how much

55k all in is not alot. Sure many have done it for less. Watch Sam Holms and Wind Hippie Holly who are out there and doing it. If you are mid-life crisis then I expect that you are over 40 so I will not say you can do it just like them.

Go for it. Go and get at least a few miles offshore before you commit to a permanent lifestyle sailing around the world. Your budget would be limiting for me, heck you can easily spend 10k on just new electronics. 10k on a couple of sails. and 10k dicking around making it a live aboard. The sad thing is that alot of expensive repairs hide below the waterline. blisters, keels, keeping the water out.

So go for it. You dont want to regret it. Just realize that living aboard means that you deal with boat everyday. repairs, improvements, everything. its everyday and its not an inexpensive undertaking.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 18:26   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thnkfree View Post
I know the mechanics of sailing pretty well, and have a good bit of experience sailing on lakes. I don't know much about the ocean however. I'm doing the midlife crisis thing, and plan on buying a bluewater boat to live on and cruise the world once I have become competent. What I don't know, is if I will be able to buy one for 30 to 40k with another 10 to 15k of potential repairs/upgrades. I am a very competent carpenter and "builder/fixer" so I can do any work myself. Thoughts? I would prefer to buy something that needs very little work below the waterline.
Set your size first, then ongoing costs. Think small to go now.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 20:46   #4

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC

Read “Get Real Get Gone” by Rick Page for some great perspective on this topic.
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 22:37   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. You otta check out this thread...

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ds-147098.html
I just bought a Pearson 365 for an incredible deal. Rarely sailed and used for entertaining it's last 20 years or so. Sail are really fresh, engine with only 2000 hours on it. I'm going to be upgrading all her systems this next year or so. Even then I will be under $30K.

This isn't my first rodeo. I have restored 6 fiberglass boats and built 2 steel boats from the ground up. What you want to do is quite possible, if you're patient and ask a lot of questions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 01:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, thnkfree.

30 to 40k, what?
Renminbi/Yuan, Yen, Sheckle, Euro, USD?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 03:28   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I am one of those who is planning to do it on less. My wife and I just bought a 32 Endeavour, which is a capable boat. There are many ways to do what you want without breaking the piggy bank. So many people are out there doing it on less.

Our plans include the Bahamas in a couple of years, and I hope to make an "Atlantic Circle" on my own at some point. After that, who knows ?

We have less than 20K in the boat so far and she's in the water now. We plan to spend another 20K before we go. I am filming and making a series of videos along the way.

I have seen some absolutely splendid boats in your price range. You can definitely do this in a nice style in your budget. If you're doing it solo, just stay in a reasonable size range, it makes everything easier - and less expensive.

You got this !

Old 20-01-2022, 20:20   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard thnkfree! There are many threads here that may help. This one may help:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ds-147098.html

Good luck! Ask lots of questions here!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 21:14   #9

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I think it is doable for a 32-36'. You want to target the well known built boats - ask here at a lower cost and spare more for the refitting. Yet, you may find great refitted boats that need very little, from owners that had to change plans - need a lot of searching and questioning to find the right one.

Best of luck!