Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 12:27   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 45
Re: How much below asking price should we offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yachtworld.com collects all actual sales data on boats listed with them and publishes that data on soldboats.com

That price is very high. send an email to boatpoker@gmail.com and I'll respond with the soldboats .com actual sales data for that model.

PS. if you are new to this you might benefit from Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
I think the actual selling price of a boat is relevant and great info to have, especially if you have both... asking price vs. selling price. But I didnt think that data was available except to brokers. Is that available to the general public?
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 12:34   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
I like to explain to the broker (or seller) how I arrived at my offer so it removes any emotional implication to the figure. It’s a business deal at the end of the day, and those are rarely done on simply gut instinct.

In my case, I start with the comps from Soldboats as discussed above. Then, I arrive at my own determination of the boat’s condition from my personal evaluation. Let’s say I assess it to be middle of the road in condition- I now have a starting figure. This incorporates all of the subjective factors like seat cushion or canvass condition, etc. I’ll use the median of the range in this case.

Then I’ll identify any work that needs to be performed to bring it to my personal standards of seaworthiness and safety. Let’s say I notice oil in the bilge, non-functional electronics, etc. I’ll assign a value to those elements and decrement the original value down to account for those.

I present that to the broker or seller and I have never received an adversarial response. At the very least I can point to rationale behind my number and it gives me many items to negotiate within the total dollar value.

Then after survey, there may be more items that cause me to further decrement the offer.

I think the is the most fair approach, and I can always point back to a certain logic which I find helps keep everyone negotiating.

Thumbs up for this approach, an educated buyer.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 13:09   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

AC is fine at the dock as is heat but unless you have a generator you probably won't be able to use them away from the dock. How old are the electronics? etc etc.
A different take on the above:

A Honda 2200 ($1000) + the soft start box ($330.) will run the AC without a problem. I run a 16,000 BTU and a 7,000 BTU both at the same time . No problem. Additionally, the Honda has other uses around the house or when camping. Get the 5 gallon separate tank and you are good for 6 nights before refill.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, price