Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 13:30   #16

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Re: How much does it cost to get a boat to Cat 1 in New zealand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
I'm a Kiwi. I have a boat. I have, do, and will continue to sail her offshore. She is NZ registered, and meets cat 1 when we go. There is not much in the Regs I would not take anyway. NZ is a small country, 1/2 in the southern ocean, and is often one end of the most difficult passage many circumnavigators do. It is not uncommon for a vessel, and often crew to be lost on this voyage, the average being around one or two per year. Some are well found and unlucky. Some I would not cross a river in. NZ has the largest area of SAR responsibility per capita of anywhere in the world. Rescues are very expensive. The rules are intended to ensure that NZ vessels are as well equipped and prepared as possible before heading offshore, to help minimise problems. It does seem to have worked to a degree, but it was ill conceived to think that, as our courts proved, it could be forced on foreign vessels. That being said, the last two boats I can think of that were lost or had to be rescued, both after leaving NZ, were not NZ boats.
I'm with you on this Matt

Not so with the the other pedantic rissoles in OSH & MBIE.
THOSE are exponential growth industries fueled by salaries requiring pages of regulations and it is going to impact on future generation skill set in a huge way. The number eight wire mentality of improvisation and doing things yourself is dead and buried.
Jacinda Ardern getting admonished for putting in her own toilet
She should have been given a medal! Thread drift~
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, New Zealand