Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2007, 19:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
95% of the time however we sit for anchor enjoying the extra room and comfort.
If you do it right. Our CSY 33 on the hook was a great boat. Darn popular too. Plenty of room to stretch out and entertain. while sailing is very important youi are not sailing more than you are sailing.

The Catalina 30 was probably the all time best selling boat Only 59 CSY 33's ever made. For the most part some of the nicest folks I have ever known though some of the captains are bit colorful.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 21:46   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
MAJOR DIFFERENCES

[quote=Crossett]..I mainly am looking for a boat to liveaboard and sail around the Gulf of Mexico, and occasionally out to Bermuda, BVI's, etc.

The price of the "blue water" boats in nearly twice what the others are. What are the major differences? quote]

Yo Cros,

the bluewater boats are designed to have people living in them comfortably for weeks or months at a time. They can safely take you and your supplies and provisions anywhere, and are equipped to do so.

The coastal racer/cruiser entry-level boats are OK for day-sailing in predictable weather, and to camp-out on for a few days at a time. They typically lack the tankage and storage capacity for any longer than that. They perform well as the weekender for which they were designed.

The huge difference in capability is reflected in the price. Nevertheless you should be able to find a decent platform for $50K-100K.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 21:53   #18

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I can hook you up with several boats that will fit your needs in many different price ranges, in S.W.Florida.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 02:23   #19

Hey, there are quite a few hunters here in New Zealand that have made it down here under their own keel without any grief. Personally I don't like the look of the design, but they made it all the way through the Pacific all right. One I saw in Fiji last year with a young American couple on it was a 34 foot, all geared up with offshore gear. It sailed really well in the light air, but I would not have felt comfortable on it in a blow.
Old 16-05-2007, 02:40   #20

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62
Hey Pura Vida, what's your boat?
Seems I remember you being in a GS 44? If that's right, we need to talk. I've got an offer in on one and go to survey on Monday (21st).
Starfish,

I'm in a C&C 27. As a single hander she is about as big as I want to wrestle by myself. Good luck on the GS44.

pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 05:31   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Brain fart,
I just noticed you're in a C & C 27. Nevermind.
Old 16-05-2007, 06:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossett
I'm not stuck on either Catalina or Hunter, it's soley about the price. 100K is a whole lot easier to swallow than 200K.
You shouldn't have a minutes trouble finding a good blue water vessel for $100 in your size range. Lots of Cape Dory 36 for way less than $100. Go anywhere, in any ocean.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 11:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Had 3 of those at my dock. Worked on them and got to know them briefly.

Small and narrow. Good sailors. Expensive.
The PS dealer in Ft. Lauderdale is a good friend of mine.

If I won the lotto, I may get the 44 for over half a mill...

In the meantime, the PS 34 seems kind of small for the money, although I realize she is faster and sails better than my CSY 33.

(95% of the time however we sit for anchor enjoying the extra room and comfort.)
I have a new to me 37. They are small for their LOA- the 34 was out of the question but the 37 offers space I can live with (and on). These are ocean crossers and are, I think, one of the finest builds in the world. They do sail nicely with an easy motion but a smaller Catalina or Hunter will blow right by in a 15 kt breeze. However, when the wind picks up the PSC is just getting going. Wonderful boats, but not for everyone. Drawbacks- expensive and a bit short on the tankage side.

Wendy
PSC 37 #266
Night Reach
sv.nightreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 11:49   #24
cruiser

Shameless!

45' LOA
PHRF 120
140 Gals Water
50 Gals Diesel
Sloop Rig
Dingy Davits
Center Cockpit
HUGE aft stateroom with separate shower
Averages 6-7 Knots in my neck of the woods will pass every boat listed as you sail safely to your destination

Trojan Batts
All new plumbing
Much new electrical
All new teak and holly cabin sole
New running rigging
New cockpit enclosure
6KW Genset
Cavernous holding plate refrigeration and freezer
Perkins 4.108 diesel engine
1987 Hirsh designed Gulfstar

$89,900

Shameless plug, but really... it's more of what you're looking for at less than $100K.

See other thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/46411-post9.html
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 12:39   #25

Send a message via AIM to Crossett Send a message via Yahoo to Crossett
That Gulfstar is nice, I wish I was able to purchase now.
Crossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 13:42   #26

Send a message via AIM to Crossett Send a message via Yahoo to Crossett
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
You shouldn't have a minutes trouble finding a good blue water vessel for $100 in your size range. Lots of Cape Dory 36 for way less than $100. Go anywhere, in any ocean.
I noticed in another thread that you sail on Lake Travis. I live in Lakeway, I'd love to check out your CD25 sometime if it's not too inconvenient.
Crossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 15:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossett
I noticed in another thread that you sail on Lake Travis. I live in Lakeway, I'd love to check out your CD25 sometime if it's not too inconvenient.

No problem. It's a Commander's Point. Just ask Paul to show you Randy's Cape Dory 25DDDDDD, Seraph. Hint : out of 200 boats at CP, Seraph is one of maybe two that have burgundy canvas NOT blue....

I'll be out Sat afternoon.

send me an email "rtbates(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 21:31   #28

Quote:
get stuck in a storm will I be cursing myself wishing I spent the extra money on a caliber?
Probably - but so is everyone else so don't worry about it...

Check out C&C's and CS's - Great boats, comfortable, fairly fast (which is not something to be sneezed at) and decent build quality. I find the CS to be a bit sturdier than the C&C - but if you are buying a used boat, then a well-maintained C&C will be stronger than a poorly maintained CS.

I would suggest you spend as much money as you can on the smallest boat that will fulfill your needs, rather than get a larger boat in less seaworthy condition. Catalina's are decent boats - I don't think Hunters are as well made as Catalina's. Beneteaus are not badly built, but a lot of them have iron keels which I thinks is a huge liability in salt water. The average Beneteau does not sail as well as the average Catalina.

Me - I'd get an Alberg 37...
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 05:17   #29

Go newer and lighter

Disclaimer - First I have to say that I have never been out on the ocean or done any offshore passages...

That being said, if it were me, I would much rather have a newer roomier boat than some older cave to live in if I were cruising down in the islands. So what, I would have to watch the weather carefully and may get stuck in Miami for a couple of weeks waiting to head out (there could be worse things to happen). I would be cruising and really probably would not need to be anywhere anytime soon. Kick back and relax (you can do that because your boat is actually comfortable).

For the previous comment about the H34, we have that boat and I would absolutely take it cruising down south (not transatlantic, probably not Bermuda now, but not to say that is out of the relm of sanity). Would I take one of the newer production boats out to Bermuda - yep (but I have a Hunter so what do I know - btw, I spotted two H34's in Bermuda while we were recently there). Granted, I would probably take a PS Dana out in worst weather than my H34, but no way would I take the Dana cruising in the tropics for a year - my Hunter, definitely.

I say, if comfort and price matter, buy a newer comfy production boat and just pay attention to weather and take it easy and take your time. Why blow all that money on an old uncomfortable tank when, for what you are doing, something nice and new would suffice. If it were me and my wife cruising to the islands, we would be on a newer lightweight production boat. Just my opinion.
cheslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 22:51   #30

I'm getting the sense after reading this thread that large production builders do not make true ocen worthy vessels. Why couldn't a production manufacturer build a blue ocean cruiser? Perhaps my background in high tech is misleading me into thinking that modern production processes and equipment can lead to better quality and quicker manufacturing. Tankage, storage, displacement are all specs that can be met with design.

What am i missing here?
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote