Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2021, 09:40   #1

How much trouble am I in? My first sailboat :(

Hello everyone,

I am new to sailing and bought my first sailboat with a few friends. We got it for a decent price and was hoping to renovate it.

It is a Tanzer 22 sailboat. And today, we discovered that there are leaks coming out of the hull (picture provided).

Is this a major problem and if so, how should I remedy it?

Thanks,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	236013  
Dave Cabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:57   #2

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: How much trouble am I in? My first sailboat :(

It appears that the keel to hull joint has lost its integrity. I have no idea as to the specific details of that joint's construction but if it were my boat I would drop the keel, inspect the keel bolts or studs and replace them if necessary. Then fair the keel to hull joint, rebed and reattach the keel to the proper torque values.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cabs View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to sailing and bought my first sailboat with a few friends. We got it for a decent price and was hoping to renovate it.

It is a Tanzer 22 sailboat. And today, we discovered that there are leaks coming out of the hull (picture provided).

Is this a major problem and if so, how should I remedy it?
Not near enough info provided to be able to diagnose the problem over a forum. And that just looked like a dribble.

If the damage isn't obvious then you need to figure out whether you have a leak or not. You could:
  • fill the boat with water and see if it leaks out
  • put the boat in the water and see if it fills up
... I'm only half-joking; you'll need to somehow determine whether you do have a leak. Also, do you have a retractable centreboard or a fixed keel?

Tanzer 22's are nice, and fiberglass or epoxy repairs aren't that hard. There might be a bigger issue if there's something with a retractable centreboard (cracked pivot etc)

Try to get some local advice. Any other Tanzer 22 owners in your area?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07   #4

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Not near enough info provided to be able to diagnose the problem over a forum. And that just looked like a dribble.

If the damage isn't obvious then you need to figure out whether you have a leak or not. You could:
  • fill the boat with water and see if it leaks out
  • put the boat in the water and see if it fills up
... I'm only half-joking; you'll need to somehow determine whether you do have a leak. Also, do you have a retractable centreboard or a fixed keel?

Tanzer 22's are nice, and fiberglass or epoxy repairs aren't that hard. There might be a bigger issue if there's something with a retractable centreboard (cracked pivot etc)

Try to get some local advice. Any other Tanzer 22 owners in your area?
Small leak, big leak would you seriously discount possible corrosion of the keel bolts without dropping the keel and inspecting. The consequences of not inspecting could be rather final.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

I believe that the [fin keel model] T-22’s have a bolt-on iron keel. It should, soon, stop draining from the joint.

See ➥ tanzer22.org: Maintaining and Cruising your Tanzer 22

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:29   #6

This would be big worry if you were planning to circumnavigate. But you aren't.

It's a 22ft boat. Forces are very small compared to a boat with 10 times the displacement sailing offshore.

Most likely the joint just needs to be recaulked. I assume if you grab the keel and wiggle it, it's solid? It never hurts to drop (unbolt) a keel and inspect - but few people ever do on a boat like a Tanzer. If the boat doesn't fill up with water when launched that's a good sign

A bigger risk in an older small boat is that one of the wires (stays) holding up the mast breaks on the first sail and the mast is wrecked. I would spend a bit of money having a rigger, boatyard, or knowledgeable friend inspect the standing rigging.

Here's a good report on the Tanzer 22. It will give you some pointers as what may need fixing - but overall it's an overbuilt boat.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...oats/tanzer-22
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As of January 2015 the Tanzer 22 Association is officially not active. The web page domain is funded to 2021 so all the useful archived info remains accessible.
Tanzer 22 Class Association

And see ➥ https://www.facebook.com/groups/tanzer22/

Tanzer 22 Owners Guidehttps://www.christinedemerchant.com/...nersManual.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:16   #8

Wow thank you for all the replies everyone!

It is a fixed keel and it is solid when I grab it and wiggle it. It has been in the water before and we did not notice any water fill up at the time.

We will have someone inspect it next week just in case. But from the sounds of it, it's a simple epoxy and fibreglass repair (thank goodness)
Dave Cabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 13:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How much trouble am I in? My first sailboat :(

I would say it's more a case of scrape out the filler in the hull/keel join all the way round, let it dry thoroughly then give the area a good sand and refill with a good sealant.
If your bilge is dry you've no problems, if there's water in there and it's going down you have..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 19:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would say it's more a case of scrape out the filler in the hull/keel join all the way round, let it dry thoroughly then give the area a good sand and refill with a good sealant.
If your bilge is dry you've no problems, if there's water in there and it's going down you have..
I have been working on this boat with @DaveCabs and have sanded everything down and have begun removing the filler between hull and keel. I was advised by a guy at the marina to tape over the sealant and then fiberglass over the whole section. Any comment on this?

What sealant is recommended and what kind of tape is used?
Devonlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 19:56   #11

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'

Ahoy Dave:

The responses to your query all sound excellent.

I would just like to add--warn you--that you may also end up suffering from twofootitis.
And unlike repairing the Tanzer keel, this affliction is usually incurable. There will be no leakage of water, but rather VAST amounts of money.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 05:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonlong View Post
I have been working on this boat with @DaveCabs and have sanded everything down and have begun removing the filler between hull and keel. I was advised by a guy at the marina to tape over the sealant and then fiberglass over the whole section. Any comment on this?

What sealant is recommended and what kind of tape is used?
I haven't worked on fixed keels like that, but my gut feeling is that if the keel is properly and firmly attached (confirmed by inspection), then cleaning any loose junk out of the hull-keel gap, letting it dry out, then resealing it should be sufficient. And grinding/filling/painting any exposed iron, of course.

It seems to me that taping and fiberglassing over that joint might be a problem- it would hide any future developing issues, and might simply crack up if there's any flexing, different rates of thermal expansion, etc.

For the last word on this, including choice of sealant, I would look to other owners of T-22s. There's this thread, if it wasn't posted already. There are still many Tanzer 22's around; I'm sure the info is out there and an evening of Googling will find it.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 06:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I haven't worked on fixed keels like that, but my gut feeling is that if the keel is properly and firmly attached (confirmed by inspection), then cleaning any loose junk out of the hull-keel gap, letting it dry out, then resealing it should be sufficient. And grinding/filling/painting any exposed iron, of course.

It seems to me that taping and fiberglassing over that joint might be a problem- it would hide any future developing issues, and might simply crack up if there's any flexing, different rates of thermal expansion, etc.

For the last word on this, including choice of sealant, I would look to other owners of T-22s. There's this thread, if it wasn't posted already. There are still many Tanzer 22's around; I'm sure the info is out there and an evening of Googling will find it.
Thanks, this has been helpful!
Devonlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat