Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 12:59   #1

How much weight could you add to a j 105

Been looking at living on a boat but preferably a faster than usual boat. I’m just curious on how much weight I could add to a boat like the j105 or the 109 without losing too much performance. Thanks
Kaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 13:31   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: How much weight could you add to a j 105

Any weight will affect performance. The real question is how much will what you intend affect it. As well as where in the boat that weight is added.
Having no empirical evidence to support the answer, my subjective one having raced 105s is that adding the weight of another crew member aft is trivial.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 13:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

So much depends on how comfortable you want to be. There are other J Boats in that range that are comfortable for cruising but maybe not long term liveaboard J111 and J35/J35C, and they perform quite well. Certainly people live aboard smaller boats so even that can be done. Look at the keel draft too for the areas you want to cruise. The J Boat performance doesn't come from some miracle with a shoal draft keel.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 13:59   #4

This is so silly, with a single post to the account I almost suspect a troll…

It’s hard to imagine a boat less suited to living aboard than a j105. It has ZERO infrastructure.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 14:16   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiden View Post
Been looking at living on a boat but preferably a faster than usual boat. I’m just curious on how much weight I could add to a boat like the j105 or the 109 without losing too much performance. Thanks
Performance is relative. You could add quite a bit of weight to a boat like a j105 and the boat, while feeling sluggish, might still sail quite well. On a race course however you would notice a lot of difference.

In our local handicapping system 12% of additional weight results in a PHRF handicap change of about 9 seconds a mile (for my bigger and slower IOR style boat). A lighter boat like a J105 would probably have a bigger hit.

I think a bigger problem is how you are going to keep your "stuff" on a small boat like a J105. There is not much storage room on a boat with that little volume. If your "living aboard" consists of short term stays and you don't have a lot of clothing, spare parts, food, pots and pans, etc, not to mention ground tackle, batteries, and water and fuel, you could do it. Like weekending. If you want to move aboard and stay there for months you will likely find yourself either in a very cluttered space or needing to have a lot of discipline about what you bring aboard and where you stick it.

I found that my need for "performance" was satisfied by a bigger, older, race boat with a lot of volume (and cheaper, too). I can keep everything put away and live in a neat and tidy space. And by performance I mean I am always sailing much faster than the typical cruising boat. I am not able to plane downwind like a sport boat, but we hit 10+ knots downwind quite often (with two persons aboard). I also like to race, and we can still be competitive even with all my live-aboard stuff because my bigger boat is less affected by the weight. So that is a way to have a measure of performance and still live aboard.
Old 06-07-2023, 19:27   #6

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
This is so silly, with a single post to the account I almost suspect a troll…

It’s hard to imagine a boat less suited to living aboard than a j105. It has ZERO infrastructure.
Bingo!!!
Also, first post with this kind of question is kind of telling.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 19:58   #7

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
Bingo!!!
Also, first post with this kind of question is kind of telling.

I think a pattern has emerged that some of us -- including me -- have fallen victim to. Someone creates an account and posts a thread that is guaranteed to provoke anger and outrage.

Of course, we respond -- with anger and outrage -- and pages and pages of argument ensue. What's lost is that the OP rarely responds, apparently happy just to start a controversy.

I suppose some thorny issues do get sorted out, despite the bad intent of the OP, but it's still disturbing that this is how some people apparently amuse themselves.

You would hope that they would find more fun in sailing.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 20:16   #8

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
I think a pattern has emerged that some of us -- including me -- have fallen victim to. Someone creates an account and posts a thread that is guaranteed to provoke anger and outrage.

Of course, we respond -- with anger and outrage -- and pages and pages of argument ensue. What's lost is that the OP rarely responds, apparently happy just to start a controversy.

I suppose some thorny issues do get sorted out, despite the bad intent of the OP, but it's still disturbing that this is how some people apparently amuse themselves.

You would hope that they would find more fun in sailing.
I think you are spot on. It doesn’t take much to amuse some people.
I could be wrong but I suspect this clown has never been on a boat. :<{
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 21:24   #9

A tricky question to answer, because it might actually be legitimate, even if it is evidence of minimal knowledge of sailing and of boats.

That sort of question occasionally comes from people living in places where there is no maritime tradition. It could come, for instance, from someone who has once had a pleasant afternoon sail on some far inland lake like, say, the Thurnersee in Switzerland.

So why, Kaiden, don't you tell about just where you plan to live aboard and what your actual sailing experience is?

We are always happy to help novices get underway in a seamanlike manner.

Viel Erfolg :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 23:09   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Kaiden may have just finished reading about Webb Chiles finishing his circumnavigation in a Moore 24. Or the family that was circumnavigating in an open 40.
I like the look of the J105, maybe not my cruising yacht but still if it floats your boat then why not.
It's not just weight, but sailing ability that's going to effect the speed Kaiden. Me personally I would suck sailing that yacht. I am more about autopilot on set and forget the sails.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:33   #11

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Maybe a J35c is more appropriate.
https://www.jboats.com/32-j35c/j35c
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote