Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 10:27   #1

Boat: Ronin 38 convertible
how to compare sailboat?

hi freinds
i live in Puerto la cruz, Venezuela, the market of 2nd hand sailboat is not significant. i ve been looking to buy a sailboat but still cant decide
the cadidates (in my range) are:
scampi 30 1990
jeanneau 37 1979
euro 41 1985
dufour 29 1980
endurance 44 1981
swan 36 1969
the noat will stay in the water, i have a docking point in front of my appartement, there is a lots of small island near at 15 knots distance.

in large holiday i will be sailing further to a La Tortuga island or Los Roques (60knots) away

how you do you decide between this boats?
any help is welcome
skaspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 11:55   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: how to compare sailboat?

If it were me and I were trying to decide between the boats that you have listed I would choose the one that is in the best condition of the smaller boats with a diesel engine. The year of the boat does not matter as much as the condition and how well the boat has been maintained. All of the boats you have listed will make the cruises you have mentioned. I would choose something with a maximum length of 36 or 37 feet if you are the one who will maintain it. If you can hire work done then any would be ok.
I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Old 19-06-2011, 12:22   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaspo View Post
hi freinds

Hi,

I have sent you a Private Message on another matter.
If you look at the top right of the screen you will see a link to 'Private Messages'.

Thanks so much!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:20   #4

hi mark i replyed your message
Old 19-06-2011, 20:03   #5

hi skipr john
thats live the scampi out she have a outboard yamaha.
have you any experience with the swan 36 1969? this boat have a bad engine and the interior has to be redone. but is the cheaper in the list.
Old 19-06-2011, 20:38   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaspo View Post
hi freinds
i live in Puerto la cruz, Venezuela, the market of 2nd hand sailboat is not significant. i ve been looking to buy a sailboat but still cant decide
the cadidates (in my range) are:
scampi 30 1990
jeanneau 37 1979
euro 41 1985
dufour 29 1980
endurance 44 1981
swan 36 1969
the noat will stay in the water, i have a docking point in front of my appartement, there is a lots of small island near at 15 knots distance.

in large holiday i will be sailing further to a La Tortuga island or Los Roques (60knots) away

how you do you decide between this boats?
any help is welcome
Another thing to consider is how many good berths are there on the boat? You want 1 good berth for every offwatch person and seat for the on-watch person that doesn't disturb a sleeper, or better a good berth for everyone in the normal crew. So the number of berths should equal number of crew or number of crew minus one.

If you were going cruising long distance it would probably be easy to figure your normal crew. Visitors are usually rare and can be accomodated with some short term discomfort. Given that you want to mostly daysail with occasional overnighters it might be harder to determine a good count.

For sailing the v-berth is NOT a good berth, the motion is too bad to get good sleep. Pilot berths, quarterberths and aft cabin berths would be good. Settee berths (fore and aft benches used for sitting at a table) would probably be good depending on the exact arrangement. Dinette berths (transverse benches or u-shaped) are marginal, there is usually more work to convert every night that a settee and then the berth is usually a double that needs to be subdivided so more work still. With a U-shaped dinette any radiused corners in the U need to be removable or it will make a poor berth.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:46   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You have to know what you really want first, and then go looking for the boat that fits your needs.

Lately I have seen some really nice boats selling for dirt cheap in the SF Bay Area. It may be worth the cost savings to look outside of your local area. You want to be able to choose amongst thousands and not a few dozen boats in order to find the best deal.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 15:17   #8

hi david m
its not quite easy to buy a boat in usa and sail to venezuela right away i m afraid.
many thing could be just fine and broke bad in the way.
and stayng for a long period checking and fixing ...... i dont know but dont seem very atractive alternative.

i prefer local so i can see check and even sail to see if it feet
wanted to hear testimonials about those boats if anyone have so i can decide wich one fit better. my need are day sailor every weekend, and 2 to 3 time a year cruiser for 60 knots away islands and staying there for few days and back. i will sail basicly with my wife and son.
when i feel confident with my cruiser i will be sailing to discover the caribean
think you david
regards
Old 20-06-2011, 18:33   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The Gin Fizz Jeaneau is a pretty good boat at sea. Is it the sloop or the Ketch?

I like a bit of length so I would prefer it over the smaller boats.
The 1969 boat is getting a bit old, but its a Swan. I don't know how well they were made then.

I don't really know the other boats at all.

have a look at the Gin Fizz and see what you think. You will need a marine surveyor to inspect it. If there is no surveyor there then perhaps a shipwrite at the boatyard can inspect it for you. Its expensive to insect a boat but good value on older boats.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 18:45   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Another thing to consider is how many good berths are there on the boat? You want 1 good berth for every offwatch person and seat for the on-watch person that doesn't disturb a sleeper, or better a good berth for everyone in the normal crew. So the number of berths should equal number of crew or number of crew minus one.

If you were going cruising long distance it would probably be easy to figure your normal crew. Visitors are usually rare and can be accomodated with some short term discomfort. Given that you want to mostly daysail with occasional overnighters it might be harder to determine a good count.

For sailing the v-berth is NOT a good berth, the motion is too bad to get good sleep. Pilot berths, quarterberths and aft cabin berths would be good. Settee berths (fore and aft benches used for sitting at a table) would probably be good depending on the exact arrangement. Dinette berths (transverse benches or u-shaped) are marginal, there is usually more work to convert every night that a settee and then the berth is usually a double that needs to be subdivided so more work still. With a U-shaped dinette any radiused corners in the U need to be removable or it will make a poor berth.
Its rare that sailing boats have "1 good berth for every off watch". Often the best berths are in the saloon and thats requires remodelling it every time you need a berth. V berths can be more the useful in a broad reach or run, and make better boats then the aft cabin. In a recent Atlantic, it was the aft berth that was unusable, Yet I sailed France to greece, using the forward V berth and its was fine. Yes in a rough slog to windward, but only racers do that.!!

Berths are only a significant factor for long , ie >2-3 days offshore trips, if you do little of those, then pay them less significance. a good galley layout is a must as is a cockpit that suits you, (whatever it is that " suits you").

Dave
Old 21-06-2011, 00:26   #11

If you are like most sailors you will spend far more time on the boat in port or at anchor than you will at sea, and if you want it to appeal to the family choose one that gives you the level of comfort you will want. If you are on the boat for a few days you can choose how much time you spend actually sailing but ultimately the boat is your home that period and you have to adapt your living to the boat.
derekbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 14:14   #12

ho derekbreth
my situation is abit different as i will be sailing in the weekends, and living in my appartement, any 2-3 times a year 4-5 days cruising for now.

Tags
sailboat