Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54   #1

How to I.D. Boats

Hello all-

Is there any way to identify a boat (manufacturer) by a name plate, insignia or something hidden on an area of a boat. I see many which I have no access to nor anyone to tell me what it is. I'm searching to buy used and just don't know what (manufacturer) I'm looking at for the most part.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18   #2

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: How to I.D. Boats

I'm not aware of any consistent markings from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some print the name somewhere on the boat, some use an insignia, some use a unique cove stripe, some do nothing at all.

I believe all U.S. boats produced or imported since 1972 are required to have a HIN (hull identification number) somewhere on the hull. If I recall correctly, the first 3 characters of the HIN are the manufacturer ID code, which you could presumably use to look up what boat you're looking at.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Hello all-

Is there any way to identify a boat (manufacturer) by a name plate, insignia or something hidden on an area of a boat. I see many which I have no access to nor anyone to tell me what it is. I'm searching to buy used and just don't know what (manufacturer) I'm looking at for the most part.
Hi,

You're refering to the HIN (Hull Identification Number).

All boats manufactured/imported on/after 1st November '72 must show a HIN. A HIN is not the same as a State registration number: the HIN is a Federal requirement.

They updated the format after 1st August 1984. I'll explain the pre-1984 system first.

Generally, the number is displayed as XXX-XXXXX-XXXX whereby the first 3 letters are the Manufacturer ID, the second set of 5 digits are the hull serial number and the last 4 are the date of certification displayed either in MMYY format or a coded format starting with the letter "M" followed by two digits representing the year and finally a letter representing the Month. August through January are A though F, and February through July are G through L.

The post-August 1984 scheme is as follows:
Generally, the number is displayed as XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX whereby the first 3 letters are the Manufacturer ID, the second set of 5 digits are the hull serial number and the next 2 are the date of certification displayed a letter representing the Month. January through December are A though L: Much simpler! The final 2 digits are the year of manufacture or certification.

You should always be able to find 2 HINs on a boat. The first HIN must be be seen from outside the boat. On all boats i've seen it's been to the starboard side of the transom just below the top of the gunwale.

On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

The second [identical] HIN is generally always hidden inside so that identification can be possible even if the outside has been damaged or vandalized.

You can found out who the manufacturer is based on above number sequences using the below public database (don't worry about the "Deprecated Browser Error" title which CF has kindly put in, the link works):
Deprecated Browser Error

Hope this helps ,

Phil
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45   #4

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Phil-beat me to it with the info, the HIN is required to be on the transom, starboard side, just below the hull deck joint. You can also find the MIC at www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx. There about 5,000 manufacturers listed with their addresses. Always a good idea to check the HIN not only for the true builder but also to confirm the build year and the model year of the boat.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Always a good idea to check the HIN not only for the true builder but also to confirm the build year and the model year of the boat.
Good point JayCall!

The below turned out not to be a 2009 Oyster 54, regardless of what the HIN stated!

Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Hi,

You should always be able to find 2 HINs on a boat. The first HIN must be be seen from outside the boat. On all boats i've seen it's been to the starboard side of the transom just below the top of the gunwale.
Deprecated Browser Error

Hope this helps ,

Phil
Thanks for the info! I assume the starboard "outside" HIN is small, meaning I may have to have my face in front of it. I also assume the number may be on a small plate or imprinted into the fiberglass which could be unreadable if painted over.

Thanks for all the input...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24   #7

Quote:
Good point JayCall!

The below turned out not to be a 2009 Oyster 54, regardless of what the HIN stated!

Righttt....Don't you wish-
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Good point JayCall!

A pretty safe bet that Oyster never dabbled in that particular shade of gelcoat.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

A pretty safe bet that Oyster never dabbled in that particular shade of gelcoat.

It is a particularly fine shade!
Old 13-03-2012, 09:12   #10

Arrow Re: How to I.D. Boats

Here is a link I came across for Sail Insignias : https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Zb4Vs0-edp0WEQ
Old 13-03-2012, 09:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Thanks for the info! I assume the starboard "outside" HIN is small, meaning I may have to have my face in front of it. I also assume the number may be on a small plate or imprinted into the fiberglass which could be unreadable if painted
Check out "Whats a HIN" for a complete explanation of how to decipher the code along with some photos of bogus codes (more common than you'd think)
Old 13-03-2012, 11:12   #12

Boat: 48 Californian

When listing my 79 CHB for sale the broker found the manufacturer to be Kady-Krogen! Cool! I raised the price 40k!
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:33   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Smile Re: How to I.D. Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
When listing my 79 CHB for sale the broker found the manufacturer to be Kady-Krogen! Cool! I raised the price 40k!
Krogen do not built boats. They have them built by CHB at the CHB yard in Taiwan. Whoops there goes that 40k .
Old 13-03-2012, 13:19   #14

Boat: 48 Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Krogen do not built boats. They have them built by CHB at the CHB yard in Taiwan. Whoops there goes that 40k .
OH SNAP
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote