Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2022, 10:09   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
How to just get sailing in S. Florida???

Me again ;-)

Here is my dilemma, I really want to get back into sailing. Finding a boat in Miami-Dade is really not a problem. There are just zero mooring balls or slips available. I am on 3 waiting lists, the shortest is "at least 12 months" long.

These are my options, kind of.

Small trailerable boat: I could just rent a space in someone's backyard near our house in Miami Shores. It is a hassle getting a sailboat launched, but fine. Most marinas here are closed and full before 11am on a nice weekend. Not really my ideal solution, wanted something a bit larger than 22ft. We want to cruise through the Biscayne Bay and maybe the Keys, not really possible is a slow 22ft boat.

J24:
There is a small marina that offers dry storage for boats being raced. I could just buy a J24, take lessons, do some racing, which is cool and something I wanted to try anyway. I did some racing in our Club in Germany before we moved here. Not the best cruising boat, but as long as I don't go too crazy and only sail in under 20 mile winds with my wife (zero experience) we should be OK. I have read that the cockpits are quite wet and that they do capsize and sink in higher winds when sailing hard.

Something around 28ft
Most of the waiting lists I am on require the boat to be around 30ft minimum. In the meantime I could just anchor somewhere. There seems to be a bunch of nice boats anchored at the Miami Marine Stadium. Feel bad for the rowers, but there are a lot of boats already there. I am a bit afraid of getting the boat trashed or things stolen. We are in Miami... Stealing electronics and outboards seems to be a daily occurance.

This certainly is more difficult than imagined when we packed up our stuff in 2020 and moved to Florida...

Thankful for any advice or feedback.
wtubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 10:28   #2

Re: How to just get sailing in S. Florida???

So there aren't even any slips in Ft L, Las Olas etc, behind houses available? It was always hard to find places to live aboard there, but there used to be non live aboard available often...
The more shallow the draft the easier. This is true up the waterway also, behind houses, West Palm also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 11:20   #3

Hi @cheechako

Thanks, I guess I could check up there, but that only makes sense for a larger boat, right? Which would also have a deeper draft. I have to go out onto open water to get down to the Biscayne Bay. Is there any sailing, except on the open ocean up there? There are no protected bays.

I'll take a look though! That could be an option until I get a space through one of the waiting list.

Cheers,

William
Old 19-02-2022, 11:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtubbs View Post
Hi @cheechako

Thanks, I guess I could check up there, but that only makes sense for a larger boat, right? Which would also have a deeper draft. I have to go out onto open water to get down to the Biscayne Bay. Is there any sailing, except on the open ocean up there? There are no protected bays.

I'll take a look though! That could be an option until I get a space through one of the waiting list.

Cheers,

William
Yes you have to go out the inlet at Fort Lauderdale. How long that takes depends on where the slip is. IIRC from the Las Olas area it's like an hour+ to get out to the ocean. I used to get to Biscayne Bay in a day sail. But too far if you want to be sailing down there on a moments notice for sure.. Mostly open ocean out of Fort L.
I saw slips in Las Olas area for smaller boats but it's been years. It's a pretty desirable area.
So you are looking for stuff actually in Biscayne Bay? Yeah, that's pretty tight. They dont seem to have the canal houses etc down there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 16:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have you tried Craisglist for slips? Not quite Ft Lauderdale but Hollywood. Found a boat with slip for sale.

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bo...441636252.html
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 16:59   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Have you tried Craisglist for slips? Not quite Ft Lauderdale but Hollywood. Found a boat with slip for sale.
I have a dock for rent in Fort Lauderdale (not a slip).
Up to 36' length, about 14' beam and 5'6" draft.
Here is the Craigs list add:

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mas...444922598.html

Sailboat friendly dock, my previous tenant, a CSY33 rented for 11 years and he wants to come back later when he takes a break from sailing.
Old 21-02-2022, 09:55   #7

Hello, brand new to the forum, but very interested in finding a live aboard sailboat and learning to sail. I have been working on the water for the past 7 years, but have not had any opportunities to sail. I am located in Miami and if you have any luck finding a boat I would love to help work on the boat for exchange of sailing lessons if you have any interest!
Chis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 11:10   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

Most places that say 30 foot minimum don't mean you can't have a smaller boat just that you won't pay any less. 24 or 28 foot boat will cost the same slip fees as a 30 foot one.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 17:17   #9

Thank you for all of the answers, I just got a mooring ball at a great club and a boat that came with it!

Tags
florida, sail, sailing