Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2021, 22:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 270 LE
How to rig my asymmetrical spinnaker.

So I have made the move from dingy to cruiser yay! Finally a boat with a spinnaker (just something about them). So I bought a 1995 Catalina 270 love it. The previous owner never used the spinnaker so he could not tell me how to rig it. The sheets, the main halyard got it the the tack has me at a mystery. I know the pulpit is not made to handle a sail, I was in 4 knots and needed it open to inspect it and try and figure it out. The white plastic saddle i have never seen before. Where does it go? Does it go around the furled jib? Any help, explanation, ideas would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_134738.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	239580  
Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 22:58   #2

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: How to rig my asymmetrical spinnaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
So I have made the move from dingy to cruiser yay! Finally a boat with a spinnaker (just something about them). So I bought a 1995 Catalina 270 love it. The previous owner never used the spinnaker so he could not tell me how to rig it. The sheets, the main halyard got it the the tack has me at a mystery. I know the pulpit is not made to handle a sail, I was in 4 knots and needed it open to inspect it and try and figure it out. The white plastic saddle i have never seen before. Where does it go? Does it go around the furled jib? Any help, explanation, ideas would be much appreciated.

Easier than you think.
https://atninc.com/atn-tacker-sailing-equipment.shtml
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:00   #3

Boat: Expedition 36 Aluminium
How to rig my asymmetrical spinnaker.

A few suggestions, it looks as if the lazy sheet has been set up on the inside, would be far easier to jibe going around the outside. I haven’t seen the plastic setup before but agree wrong place for it, would suggest it actually goes around your furled headsail if anything, the tack would then go under your bow roller and up to hold the tack down. A photo of your bow roller setup might help clarify if there is a better position for the tack, ideally you would have your tack line further out but we all make do with what we have in place. Just a few suggestions but good luck, and well done for trying it out... sorry SV Cloud, didn’t see your link!!
Diamond Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:33   #4

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Life View Post
A few suggestions, it looks as if the lazy sheet has been set up on the inside, would be far easier to jibe going around the outside. I haven’t seen the plastic setup before but agree wrong place for it, would suggest it actually goes around your furled headsail if anything, the tack would then go under your bow roller and up to hold the tack down. A photo of your bow roller setup might help clarify if there is a better position for the tack, ideally you would have your tack line further out but we all make do with what we have in place. Just a few suggestions but good luck, and well done for trying it out... sorry SV Cloud, didn’t see your link!!

sorry SV Cloud, didn’t see your link!![/QUOTE]

Diamond Life, I supplied the link.
It's an ATN tacker.
I don't have a furling sail.
You do need a down haul for the tack.
A pulley and line clipped to the bow roller or ?
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:37   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
............. The sheets, the main halyard got it the the tack has me at a mystery. I know the pulpit is not made to handle a sail, I was in 4 knots and needed it open to inspect it and try and figure it out. The white plastic saddle i have never seen before. Where does it go? Does it go around the furled jib? Any help, explanation, ideas would be much appreciated.
As Jamison pointed out the plastic saddle is called a "tacker" and is attached to the jib stay or furled head sail. Attach the halyard to the spinnaker's head, the sheet to the spinnaker's clew, your downhaul to the bell of the snap shackle of the tacker, and pass the tacker around the furled headsail, close the tacker with its carabiner onto the snap shackle' bell, clip the snap shackle onto the spinnaker's tack and hoist away. Trim the sheet and the downhaul and you are sailing. Best is to do the hoist on a broad reach.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:50   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

The tack should be connected to a strong point on the bow, not the railing.
Strong point e. g. the anchor bow roller.
The pulpit railing is not built to hold such forces.
Best solution, albeit expensive one, is to install a bowsprit with a bobstay and attach the tack of the spi to the outer end of the bowsprit.
This takes the sail further out and easier to manage as is us mire free of the headstay.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:01   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Ditto meirriba..........If you already have a bow pulpit you could attach the tack there OR since you have a masthead rig attach the tacker to the furled headsail,
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:06   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Good lord those ATN tackers have gone up in price and the bow sprit nice but a lot of work. This was an hour in me shed.

We have a short strop from the tack to the deck just behind the genoa furling drum which is actually the emergency forestay attachment.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ATN1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	239596   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATN2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	239597  

Name:	ATN3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	239598  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:40   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have one of those saddles ATN. Yes it goes around the furled jib.

This prevents you from running out the jib to help douse the kite.

If you have a large boat, Roxy is 58, you might damage a multi layer membrane jib. Small boat, Dacron jib, no problem. Mine won’t even fit around my composite jib.

If you planned to do a long ocean crossing the ATN might exact long term damage from chafe.

For occasional use on a 27 Have a good time. If you get serious, there are after market deck mounted spars for your AS kite. This will move the tac well forward of the fore stay. Watch the intro with the yellow AS on a spar. https://www.fatjax.com/

Here is a kit. https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/p...kaApXFEALw_wcB
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:50   #10

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I agree that the bow pulpit is not strong enough to take the load of the asym tack. On my boat, a little longer but rigged similarly, I replaced the pin at the headstay fitting with a forged stainless steel eye bolt of the same diameter as the pin. I attached a block there and ran a line from the asym tack, through the block to a jammer near an aft winch. That way I can have the tack low at the set and for jibes and then let it rise when I am off the wind.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Good lord those ATN tackers have gone up in price and the bow sprit nice but a lot of work. This was an hour in me shed.

We have a short strop from the tack to the deck just behind the genoa furling drum which is actually the emergency forestay attachment.

Pete
I was thinking likewise ,it looks like a very expensive piece of plastic
laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:18   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

Stow your anchor somewhere. Run a tack line under the anchor roller, and up to the tack on the kite. If you have a bail on your bow roller, then you can attach a block to that, and might be able to leave your anchor in place. If the spinnaker is sized properly then that will be fine. If it is on the small side, then you need something like the tacker to attach it to the jib or something up higher.
Old 02-06-2021, 16:24   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
Very nice!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:09   #14

Boat: Tartan 37C

Following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 23:13   #15

Boat: Catalina 270 LE

Thank you all for the comments especially Boatyarddog for the link. It all makes sense now and I am excited to get back to the boat and rig it correctly.
Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal, spinnaker