Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 09:53   #16

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: HR 26 - a realistic cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
I am based out of Germany
Oh hi there neighbor!

Since you want to buy in the Med, is that also where you want to keep the boat and do all of the sailing?

Plenty of Germans have boats in the Netherlands - not too far away from home and plenty of great sailing waters, both for beginners and more adventurous sailors
And loads and loads of boats for sale here too.

Edit:
A few random examples:

http://www.botentekoop.nl/zeiljachte...4-1976/1680888 Rival 34
http://www.botentekoop.nl/zeiljachte...2-1977/1731733 Contessa 32
http://www.botentekoop.nl/zeiljachte...e-1977/1650956 Westerly Pembroke
http://www.botentekoop.nl/zeiljachte...a-1975/1668121 Albin Vega
http://www.botentekoop.nl/zeiljachte...7-1978/1715215 Aloa 27

And so many, many more
Old 08-03-2016, 10:27   #17

Boat: Malö 40H

I actually wouldn't mind spending a season in the Netherlands *at all* :-) but my better half is adamant about heading south.. something about a very rare allergy to cold weather (we were sailing in the canaries under the sun in 20+ degrees in December on a force 5 and while others were still in shorts and t-shirt we had already donned our jackets, hats and gloves .. )

Thanks for the links.. will check them out
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Rydstrom View Post
My present HR is a 40 years old HR31 Monsun and its condition is still perfect, interior is spotless, varnish excellent and no leakage anywhere.
Wanna sell it?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:30   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind spending a season in the Netherlands *at all* :-) but my better half is adamant about heading south..
The Contessa and Rival are both boats I'd sail from the Netherlands to wherever without hesitation.

But, considering you guys need to learn a bit more about sailing and boat ownership, I'd *strongly* suggest taking at least one season on 'smaller waters' to get to know your boat and learn the basics at least ...
Old 08-03-2016, 10:31   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I am based out of Germany but ideally would like to buy something in Spain or Mediterranean. I see a lot of interesting boats in the U.K. but crossing the English Channel right off the bat after purchasing the boat doesn't appeal to me given my inexperience.. I also would prefer dealing directly with owners.

We have even thought about the quintessential project boat.. though I keep hearing repeatedly.. "just don't". It might be a good idea to *really* learn the ins and outs of the boat. That is appealing to me. To know how everything is wired and what to do when it breaks.

Anyhow.. thanks to all for the useful input.. this whole boat buying process is quite daunting
For the right boat I wouldn't worry about crossing the English Channel or the North Sea but I would charter a professional skipper. There are lots and a few on here. Boatman61 is reasonably local.

Nor would I be put off buying an ex charter boat, especially one that has been re-engined. Friends have just bought a Beneteau Oceanis. She has a few marks in the saloon woodwork, but at the price they paid it easily made up for that and they are now sailing a 39ft yacht for only a bit above your budget. With two kids this yacht will see them with a comfortable yacht to sail across channel for years to come. Put it this way, if you spent £100k on a new yacht and crunched the jetty you would be really upset. Do that in a £20k yacht that has a few battle scars and yes you would be annoyed but then get the gelcoat filler out fix it and move on.

So don't limit yourself to old 1970s designs, choose something that you both like and will be your home for the next few years every day 24/7. If you want a really posh dark wood interior then yes a HR. If you want something larger with room to stretch out and avoid cabin fever during the winter then how about a more common European yacht? Its a buyers market and there are thousands to choose from, indeed your problem is probably too much choice good luck.

This former charter boat will cost you £45,000 in the UK, yours for £14,300 in Greece, tempted?

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...e#.Vt8bVpyLQdU

Something comfortable for a couple:

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...m#.Vt8cdpyLQdU

Both the Contessa and the Rival LB listed above should also be considered. The contessa looks really nice (in fact superb) but slightly more cramped compared to the Rival or Moody 33.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 13:45   #21

Boat: Nauticat 32

H-R's are good quality boats. The key question might be if you are happy with having a good quality but only 26' boat, or if you want something larger (probably not quite as good quality), or if you want to invest more to get a good quality and slightly larger boat.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:19   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

crankysailor,

Like Boatie, I would avoid that particular HR because of the saildrive. Fortunately, we have never been cursed with one, let alone the two that catamaran owners have to deal with, if they don't have shaft drives. They are installed in boats because it is cheap and easy for the builder. They offer no benefits over a conventional diesel and shaft drive.

For us, it would be a deal breaker. There are threads on CF about this you can look up if it matters to you Any problems that require hauling to repair add terrifically to your costs, they have dissimilar metals issues, difficult maintenance issues. It's a huge hole in your boat if you are so unlucky as to set it down accidentally upon a rock.

Ann
Old 08-03-2016, 16:33   #23

There are not many other 26 ft boats that would qualify for longer cruises, HR builds to Lloyds standards and are more than capable to go wherever you desire I owned a 35 HR and all systems were top notch and trouble free as you can get with a boat..
dagranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 17:21   #24

Boat: Union cutter 33

Contessa would be the one i.d go for..a nice 32ft.r
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 18:18   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

It was never mean to be a global or open water cruiser. This boat was meant to sail coastal waters of Western Sweden and the Baltic in the summer.

This much said it is marginally usable to go to Canaries from old Europe and onwards. People sail in all sorts of boats and how small, vulnerable and uncomfortable one wants to get it is their business alone.

Two of many weak areas are the rudder and lack of baby stay to ballance the lowers. They also tend to leak around the windows.

If you want to start in a small boat and then stick with it for a time, look at other HRs that were designed to take the punch. A Monsun, e.g.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 20:47   #26

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Hello Cranky - here's an American build that is located in England:
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealoch 31 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good boat, but perhaps more than you want to spend right now.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:20   #27

Boat: Scout 30

Smaller+ better quality + better condition = good advice. I also would avoid a saildrive but many will argue that point. If you are not very cold tolerant why not consider something with a pilot house like a Fisher or a Nauticat?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:37   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HR 26 - a realistic cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Smaller+ better quality + better condition = good advice. I also would avoid a saildrive but many will argue that point. If you are not very cold tolerant why not consider something with a pilot house like a Fisher or a Nauticat?
Almost double the price.. he's working to a budget.
The Pioneer 9's 10's are tough seagoing boats.. maybe a bit more basic but a Van de Stadt design and leaves change for any add ons.
Van de Stadt Pioneer 10 for sale UK, Van de Stadt boats for sale, Van de Stadt used boat sales, Van de Stadt Sailing Yachts For Sale PIONIER 10 Classic Van de Stadt. - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If you are not very cold tolerant why not consider something with a pilot house like a Fisher or a Nauticat?
Oh pilot houses turn me really off.. I am not even sure why. I just look at one and something inside says.. no!.. and we won't be sailing in northern europe after the purchase for sure.

Actually that idea about expanding the search radius and then hiring a professional skipper to help us get it to where we want could be interesting if that is not prohibitively expensive. Great learning opportunity for us too. We also thought of this a few days ago as I saw some good options in the Netherlands but then at the prospect of crossing the bay of biscay .. well.. we started googling for "french canal system" although maybe in june/july I would chance going port hopping down the coast.. hmm... anyhow.. I think between you folks and my wife I have been convinced the HR 26 is not the best way to go for us. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30   #30

Boat: PSC Orion 27

You'll notice in the sailboatdata page that the designer is trying to tell you something. 17 gallons of water storage. He never intended to make the boat a long term cruiser. Of course, with a water maker that's a moot point, and people have taken coastal designated boats around the world many times, but it gives the reader a quick reference as to what the intended use was at the time it was introduced to the market.

Good hunting

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser