Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 21:23   #1

Hudson Force 50

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing a Force 50 that's been in the slip next to me for 20 years. I love the old school charm of these boats. There are so few of these out there and in widely varying condition. I am interested in anyone who owns one or has sold one. My main question is "What might be considered a fair price"? This regal lady needs the following but her hull and most woodwork is sound. The boat is all original from 1985 and actually has a Hellbender hull ID. All condition observations are prior to any survey.
This boat has been in the San Diego area for 25 years and very lightly used.

Original Ford Lehman Diesel(Runs fine)

Original generator(Runs Fine)

Original Spruce Masts(Good Condition)
All Original Electronics and equipment

Teak Deck(Completely shot and need to be replace)
Exterior teak work (Needs to be sanded down and refinished)

House Batteries(Completely Shot and need to be replaced)
Rigging (20+ years old and needs to be replaced)
No tender or inflatable

I am looking for a project until I retire in 9 years. Insurance looks to be Liability only as most insurers say they are no longer offering full coverage on boats older than 30 years. The price needs to be right if it can't be fully insured.

Any suggestions on what she might go for will help me make a decision.

Thanks!
Chris Taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 23:59   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Hudson Force 50

I'd have to suggest you look to see if parts are still available for the engine. If not, look at replacement costs.

Deck replacement on these boats is something real people do, but usually refinish in anything but teak, as modern teak is not nearly as tough as the older varieties were.. But still, overall, a benefit to the new owner to get rid of those 6,000 or so holes through the deck.

Be aware, all the black iron tanks will need to be replaced.

Suggest going aloft and looking for blackish spots in the spruce near the fittings, like extending beyond washers, or at the place where a bolt's shaft goes into it.. The spruce is a dead tree, and if water has got in there, bad things have been happening.

It's only money for batteries, rigging, and there is a wide range of tenders available, used. But for the black iron tank removal, you will need to dismantle furniture carefully, in order to be able to return it to usable condition when you have installed proper tanks for the fluids involved.

This will be perhaps 7 times the labor you're imagining, and if you have to pay for it, estimate it at $100/hr.

When you're done, you might have a beautiful, very heavy displacement ketch that is not a fun boat to sail, but safe enough, and you might believe her to be comfortable. Should you be smitten midway by an illness, you might really have a liability on your hands, as such boats require mooring fees and insurance all the time. You might want to check those costs as well.

JPA Cate
aka
Ann
Old 19-02-2021, 15:16   #3

Send a message via ICQ to HarmenR Send a message via Skype™ to HarmenR
Re: Hudson Force 50

Check out SY ZERO – ..sail with us! or Sailing Zero on YouTube. It's a German guy who's documented doing up his Hudson 50. (It's all in English)
Another one is Sailing Miss Lone Star. (If you can see past the fake smiles.... :-) ) Her's might be a Formosa 51, but that's the same boat anyway.
Both give you an idea what's involved in doing one up. Have fun!
Make sure you install a bow thruster.
HarmenR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hudson