Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 16:52   #1
cruiser

Hughes 40/ H40 ketch linear feet needed for standing rigging

I tried using sailboat data but they don't give dimensions for estimating shrouds.

My goal is to estimate the cost for wire rope and synthetic to see if I can afford to take on this project and how much I can offer for the sailboat

Please don't turn this in to a discussion, if you don't know the answer or how I can obtain it using 'the internet' please don't reply no-matter how entertaining it may be to you sipping on your glass of bourbon and rocks
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 18:19   #2

Re: Hughes 40/ H40 ketch linear feet needed for standing rigging

Geez, this isn't hard...

You know the height of the main and mizzen masts, just calculate it! I'll tell you ahead of time, having converted a Northstar 40 (same boat as a Hughes 40) from SS wire to Dyneema, the costs of the two options are not significantly different.

The cost of the wire is not the issue, it's the labor for the professional rigger to fabricate things that is the expensive bit.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 18:35   #3

Re: Hughes 40/ H40 ketch deck plates dimensions?

By "deck plates" I assume you ACTUALLY mean chain plates?

I have done this project on a Hughes 40. The cost of the materials is not significant. If the cost of the bronze (what I did) or stainless bar stock is the decision point between you and buying the boat, you will be in WAY over your head with all the other things you will find.

But to answer your question with estimates, each chainplate is about 2 feet long. I do not remember the thickness or width, but the linear feet of stock needed will be:

2 each for the main upper shrouds.
4 each for the main lowers.
2 each for the mizzen uppers.

that's 8 x 2 feet, so 16 linear feet. But I can not say if they are all the same size. My memory fails. Sorry.
Old 30-09-2021, 19:06   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
By "deck plates" I assume you ACTUALLY mean chain plates?

I have done this project on a Hughes 40. The cost of the materials is not significant. If the cost of the bronze (what I did) or stainless bar stock is the decision point between you and buying the boat, you will be in WAY over your head with all the other things you will find.

But to answer your question with estimates, each chainplate is about 2 feet long. I do not remember the thickness or width, but the linear feet of stock needed will be:

2 each for the main upper shrouds.
4 each for the main lowers.
2 each for the mizzen uppers.

that's 8 x 2 feet, so 16 linear feet. But I can not say if they are all the same size. My memory fails. Sorry.

Thank you for your reply.

From my understanding deck-plates go through the deck and chain-plates mount on the exterior. Maybe I miss construed what I was reading through all the blogs and forums that add all those unharness paragraphs of BS...

I believe the lower shrouds were much shorter than 24" and you shouldn't assume my reasoning, my question was simple and direct. When I acquire the the total cost of ALL materials yard, transfer, TIP, hull in fees, Transportation for my junk, fuel, food etc. plus a buffer. Then I will derive a conclusion if and what i can afford to offer for the purchase of the vessel. If I come off s a rotten turnip it means I didn't just fall off the truck, right...

That said i'm looking for the actual length, width and thickness. a wasted piece of $300 bronze about covers the yard fee for a month.
Old 30-09-2021, 19:52   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Geez, this isn't hard...

You know the height of the main and mizzen masts, just calculate it! I'll tell you ahead of time, having converted a Northstar 40 (same boat as a Hughes 40) from SS wire to Dyneema, the costs of the two options are not significantly different.

The cost of the wire is not the issue, it's the labor for the professional rigger to fabricate things that is the expensive bit.
How does the mizzen mas height give me the spreader bar width and mount point of lower shrouds? I don't see the data there to calc shrouds. Sure i can spend many hours 3D modeling that drawing hoping it is to scale and get a ballpark.. But what is the point of forums then? just flap lips? Hoping someone has a n H40, re-rigged and knows. I'm not lazy, I spent about 3 hours yesterday searching for a number.

50' of Amsteel Blue is half a months yard fee. I don't have money to toss in the dumpster. I don't have issues with buying extra for each rig and will allow for deviations and bury but i'm asking specific questions.. I can guess with out the added pain and time of posting here and is why i stopped many months ago
Old 30-09-2021, 20:20   #6

Ok, let me walk you through this..

The height of the mast, plus 15% will get you within 10% of the length of the cap shroud.

NO other cost estimate will be NEARLY as close. You are looking for precision, but cost estimates are by their nature NOT precise.

FWIW Amstel blue is not a good choice for shrouds. You are looking to do something on the cheap, which is by its very nature is expensive to do RIGHT.
Old 30-09-2021, 20:22   #7

OK, then do it yourself.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:16   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
Thank you for your reply.

From my understanding deck-plates go through the deck and chain-plates mount on the exterior. Maybe I miss construed what I was reading through all the blogs and forums that add all those unharness paragraphs of BS...

I believe the lower shrouds were much shorter than 24" and you shouldn't assume my reasoning, my question was simple and direct. When I acquire the the total cost of ALL materials yard, transfer, TIP, hull in fees, Transportation for my junk, fuel, food etc. plus a buffer. Then I will derive a conclusion if and what i can afford to offer for the purchase of the vessel. If I come off s a rotten turnip it means I didn't just fall off the truck, right...

That said i'm looking for the actual length, width and thickness. a wasted piece of $300 bronze about covers the yard fee for a month.

You’ve gotten about as close an answer as you’re going to get without measuring yourself. Your using either unknown or inaccurate terminology and your worrying about $300 on the refit of a junker in Mexico.

Then you crap all over a genuine response?

Wow.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:02   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You’ve gotten about as close an answer as you’re going to get without measuring yourself. Your using either unknown or inaccurate terminology and your worrying about $300 on the refit of a junker in Mexico.

Then you crap all over a genuine response?

Wow.
So what you're saying is you have noting useful to add.. Your kind typically sits on your sailboat drinking your sorrows and fear of leaving your slip. Neither productive or adventurous so you lash out at those that are or diminish there accomplishments or attempts. You are just another (Make Peace)

The sailboat is over 1k mi. away. I would have measured myself but my time on the boat was cut short for several reasons.

Someone has an H40 that will hopefully be kind enough to spend 10 min. measuring them.

IF not screw it, this is why I find myself helping other less and less and rarely bother with forums.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:22   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
So what you're saying is you have noting useful to add.. Your kind typically sits on your sailboat drinking your sorrows and fear of leaving your slip. Neither productive or adventurous so you lash out at those that are or diminish there accomplishments or attempts. You are just another (Make Peace)

ms.

Seems you’ve got it all figured out.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:24   #11

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

If you have to ask the cost of boat equipment you probably can't afford it!

jewt S/V Bifrost-8
Old 01-10-2021, 12:34   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Tarred 4-strand hemp and deadeyes are best. Half of it should be left-hand lay. Do NOT use nylon.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 13:10   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Tarred 4-strand hemp and deadeyes are best. Half of it should be left-hand lay. Do NOT use nylon.
Dyneema Rope ø12mm Breaking load: 11900daN (kg)
Hemp rope ø12mm 4-strand Breaking load: 1080daN (kg)
316 7x19 3/8" cable Breaking strength 5,795 kgs

Tags
deck, Hughes, ketch, men, rigging