Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 18:59   #1

Hull Flaking

I'm curious what is going on with this hull just below the water line. It looks like the paint is flaking, and has just been painted over. Could this cause major issues. What would it take/cost to repair to smooth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	189202  
mitjh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 19:06   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Hull Flaking

Too much bottom paint. Needs to be stripped. Nothing to it really. Take it down to gel coat or just above if no serious issues encountered, prime and paint.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 22:35   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard mitjh2! Looks like that last paint job was over a previous couple of layers that had flaked off at the waterline because it wasn't prepped well. Easily remedied next time you do the bottom as RBK says. You'll need to allow for an extra, I don't know, maybe 2 hours of sanding to smooth it before prep and paint. I wouldn't worry about it, but just make sure when you are sailing the boat doesn't ever heel over so it stays hidden.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mitjh.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:03   #5

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Yep, what the others said. It's nothing to be alarmed about nor would it cause most buyers to walk away. The remedy is, as mentioned above, to have the boat yard sandblast the old paint off and fill/fair any blisters with epoxy. Probably best to have them apply a couple of coats of epoxy and then a couple or three coats of bottom paint.

The cost to do such a job is going to be all over the spectrum. We have a new-to-us 52' that had the same kind of flaking and is in the yard right now for the same treatment plan. We had quotes that ranged from $4900 to $13,000 for the exact same steps. Depends upon the length of the boat, the type of care it needs, to some degree the time of year (prices can go up a bit in the spring when everyone wants to return to the water) and perhaps a little on the overall demand of that particular yard.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:19   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When we were in Trinidad, we applied Micron 66 antifouling painting. A year later, as we were hauling out for the winter, we found the paint flaking off. Angry, I called the manufacturer to complain and the person who took my call said, “You’ve been in fresh water. Micron 66 isn’t suitable for for fresh water.” He was right.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45   #7

A bad case of common paint build up. Probably sloughing paint. Coat over coat. Needs a good strip job and start fresh. It's probably $100 a foot or more to get it off there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:41   #8

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Hope your condition is NOT as mine.... I had the boat hauled out with a surveyor before purchase.... He said OK.... When on the hard for the winter I had her soda blasted..... all the old paints disappeared..... Million of blister showed up..... I'm still combating the problem.....

1st pic is after hauling out.... me trying in vain to strip the old paint
2nd pic is after soda blasting and me starting grinding the million blisters..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blister2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	189232   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_134732.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	189233  

ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:46   #9

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard mitjh2! Looks like that last paint job was over a previous couple of layers that had flaked off at the waterline because it wasn't prepped well. Easily remedied next time you do the bottom as RBK says. You'll need to allow for an extra, I don't know, maybe 2 hours of sanding to smooth it before prep and paint. I wouldn't worry about it, but just make sure when you are sailing the boat doesn't ever heel over so it stays hidden.
pls see my answer with pics above..... I'm still grinding blisters.... probably spent a total of three days!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:47   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
pls see my answer with pics above..... I'm still grinding blisters.... probably spent a total of three days!
Certainly possible, though blisters I’ve seen typically show themselves more clearly and below waterline too. Your pics should certainly be taken into account too. It looks like yours are the more superficial ones under the gel coat, is that right?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull