Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2020, 08:23   #16

Boat: Westerly Storm 33
Re: Hull swap - does it make sense?

Whilst I don’t disagree with anything already written about your proposal. I’d like to be a bit more positive.

What you have actually created is a template or check list for what you want in your next boat. That boat will actually probably come with quite a lot of kit, some of which you might want to remove and replace and some of which you might want to keep, learn and adapt to. And do bear in mind that some of the US kit won’t be available in Europe (and vice versa), so you will have to adapt or compromise a little bit.

So, assuming you are in Europe long enough, sell your beloved Hunter and look at boats in Europe using your checklist. You are already several steps ahead. Given how the market is right now you should have lots of choice and some of that might even expand your thinking.

Good hunting!

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 09:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You wouldn’t dress your new girlfriend in the exes clothes would you? .
That is hilarious. I'm going to use this!
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 10:45   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Thank you all for the comments. It is (very) slowly dawning on me that it may not be the best idea I have had. I am not worried about crossing the Atlantic on a H31 (I have done a few crossings on other boats and I have spoken to Mr. Steck, the original designer of the boat. The boat needs very little structural work. Cast hatches, 1 1/4" keel boats on a 31' footer, fiber glass enclosure for the rudder above teh waterline, emergency rudder, etc. Basically, as long as the standing rigging and the compression post is OK, that particular boat will do fine (my opinion). I think I know enough to take an educated risk and this topic has been covered here many times).

For me, the biggest issue is that I know this boat so well and I have so many extras on the boat today (two watermakers, two propellers, a nearly full engine spare kit, etc. etc.) that outfitting another hull would be very quick in my mind. Further, no buyer in CA will appreciate all this extra equipment on a coastal cruiser and it would be a pity to let it go. I also think that many of you are overestimating the work required. For example, the first time I fixed my compression post (I did not know what I was doing), it took me a week. The second time I did it properly, it took me less than two days and now I think I could do it in a day. Engine swap: two days (plus one week for the one bolt on the fuel pump that I snapped by mistake . Similarly for a lot of other projects.

Yet, I see the point of moving to a larger boat and exploring the local market for boats. I wish we did not get attached to our boats as much.

Thank you for the comments, I will let you know how it goes.
SV Pizzazz
I think you should sail your "baby" down to Wilmington and find a good place to keep her on the hard while. you're gone. As you know, Marina Del Rey is not such a place. Stripping it down is going to make you sad and not really save that much in the long run. While you could definitely sail that boat to Europe (with the right weather window) it'd take you 3 months at a minimum
(Covid19) aside. Once you get to Europe and find you really need a boat, keep an open mind and get one suitable for the area with the VAT already paid.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 12:03   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Actually your idea is not unreasonable, just needs tweaked a bit, maybe. You obviously like the Hunter, yes, buy one on the East cost if you can sell your present one. You have no problem Sailing a Hunter across the pond, fine. The only thing I can see problematic is hauling all your things across the States, but you may have a plan for that too. But if that requires two or three trips it may not be cost effective. But then there is the possibility of shipping also. The boys are negative today !
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 12:34   #20

It doesn't sound like you're attached to the boat. It sounds like you're attached to your Stuff. Your Used Stuff. You're blinded by nostalgia and a misplaced sense of value and not making fiscal or practical sense.

Fall in love with people. Fall in love with a lifestyle. Fall in love with a past-time. Don't fall in love with stuff.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 12:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It doesn't sound like you're attached to the boat. It sounds like you're attached to your Stuff. Your Used Stuff. You're blinded by nostalgia and a misplaced sense of value and not making fiscal or practical sense.

Fall in love with people. Fall in love with a lifestyle. Fall in love with a past-time. Don't fall in love with stuff.
I have some stuff I love. What is wrong with falling in love with both ? There are enough paradigms already.
Old 22-04-2020, 12:42   #22

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
(snip) You wouldn’t dress your new girlfriend in the exes clothes would you? Go start fresh.
LOL, that sums it up very well!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 14:59   #23

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
(snippage) For example, the first time I fixed my compression post (I did not know what I was doing), it took me a week. The second time I did it properly...(snip)
SV Pizzazz
I don't think I'd want to sail across an ocean in a boat that needed the compression post "fixed"... twice!
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 17:18   #24

I noted that you said "us". So I assume there is a partner/family involved(?).
If so, then the experience of boat buying in Europe could be a joint bonding experience. The market place there is generally more diverse. Trouble is there are just so many options in Europe including the possibility of the canal life. Also all the European boats will probably have metric nuts and bolts and local power options eg 240 VAC. If you want to keep your own home based boat the options could include storage, leasing etc. but the amount of work you are contemplating is just enormous and whatever your estimate in terms of time and money to strip it, treble it all.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 07:35   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331 (French build)

There are a couple of things you have not stated -

Where in Europe will you keep a boat? There are differences in sailing in the Med, the Atlantic coastline, English Channel, Dutch coast or Baltic. Are you intending keeping the boat at one location?

You mention sailing across the Atlantic, and I assume you intend to sail back, but what if circumstances conspire against this, trying to sell an American spec Hunter in Europe might not be the easiest prospect, they do not seem to be a particularly popular boat here.

It would seem to be sensible as stated to find a popular local boat for the duration, especially as European prices seem to be lower than US at present.
ithet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 07:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
I don't think I'd want to sail across an ocean in a boat that needed the compression post "fixed"... twice!
He said the first time he didn’t do it correctly. He fixed it. No need to condemn the boat for that.
Old 24-04-2020, 07:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithet View Post
There are a couple of things you have not stated -

Where in Europe will you keep a boat? There are differences in sailing in the Med, the Atlantic coastline, English Channel, Dutch coast or Baltic. Are you intending keeping the boat at one location?

You mention sailing across the Atlantic, and I assume you intend to sail back, but what if circumstances conspire against this, trying to sell an American spec Hunter in Europe might not be the easiest prospect, they do not seem to be a particularly popular boat here.

It would seem to be sensible as stated to find a popular local boat for the duration, especially as European prices seem to be lower than US at present.
I really don’t follow your logic. It sounds like you don’t recommend anyone Sailing their boat across the Atlantic.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:29   #28

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

It's only a 31 ft boat boat, just truck it to the east coast or truck it to the Texas gulf coast and do the ICW to the east coast.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:55   #29

While you've already heard a lot of good reasons to scuttle this plan, here are a few more:

It will be very expensive to import this boat into the EU. There is a VAT tax to pay but also now a 26% import duty on US boats imported to Europe in response to Trump's tariffs. You would also have to have the boat CE certified if it was not originally CE certified by Hunter (very unlikely). This alone would likely cost you as much as the value of the boat.

You alternative is to leave the boat US registered and leave the EU every 18 months by sailing to someplace like Gibraltar. Certainly do-able but an added headache easily avoided by buying a CE and VAT paid boat already in Europe.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 18:22   #30

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:

I would appreciate any encouragement or just don't comments .
Encouragement:
Sell the Hunter as equipped. Fly to Europe. Buy a European boat suitable for where you will be living.

Just Don't:
Don't do all that other stuff you mentioned.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull