Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2024, 02:32   #1

HUNTER 29.5 / Bilge flood

Hello everyone,

here is my problem, water is arriving at the bottom of the bilge through the drain plugs. Does anyone know if these plugs are connected to a thru-hull?
If so, does anyone know which side?
This is not due to rain.
I think the drain plugs are for draining water in case of internal flooding, right?
Thank you so much
tintin1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 14:23   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: HUNTER 29.5 / Bilge flood

It appears that your boat - a Hunter 295 according to your post on another site- has a cover over the actual bilge. The keelbolts are not visible when you lift the floorboards, and the bilge cover has plugs in it to keep dirt from the salon floor out of the actual bilge. If water is coming up through the plug holes it is time to pump out the actual bilge. This can probably be done by pulling one of the plugs and sticking a pump intake tube down into the hole. If water keeps coming in after you've pumped the actual bilge you may have a leak in one of your water hoses or the 151 liter water tank. If you pump more than 151 liters out the leak is not in your fresh water supply. The urgency of finding and fixing the possible leak depends on how big it is. If the bilge fills 5cm a week, you can probably manage it with the bilge pump until the end of the season and look for where water comes out from the hull when you haul out and fix it then. A bigger leak becomes more serious. You decide.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 15:34   #3

Re: HUNTER 29.5 / Bilge flood

If you sit in salt water the traditional suggestion is to taste the water to see whether it's coming in or leaking from your internal tank. I prefer to use a cheap tester - I guess I'm squeamish.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, hunter