Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2012, 09:53   #46

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Hunter 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... sorry but as 90%+ of boats today are production boats it seems much ado about nothing...
I delivered a so called 'Blue Water' non production boat recently and to be honest I had a less stressful safer ride in an '87 Oceanis 321 SMX to UK non-stop in 47 days back in '01 than I ever had on the 53 foot steel 'Blue Water' boat.... conditions were similar... nothing over F8.
Boats last longer than people and can take more than is thought capable... just don't push them... the weakest link is often the skipper...
Here Here !

Regards
ColdEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 12:00   #47

I have no idea where any of you got the idea that I think ALL production boats are low quality, poorly manufactured, today or in the past.
There a hundreds of manufacturers out there that really care about the quality of their product and whether those that sail them live or die. For some, it has been financially ruinous, but others have survived. I only try to give an honest opinion based on experience aboard certain vessels; of course I don't have experience aboard every vessel that any particular company has produced. Who has? But a random sampling of even a few vessels from a company can give one an idea of general quality and craftsmanship.
I have been asked to leave this forum by a CF adviser, because he believes that my opinions have no place on this forum; "Really, if you want to find somewhere to slag production boats, look elsewhere. There are plenty of other sites where that sort conversation is considered intelligent. Not here." As a CF adviser I assume he speaks for all of you and the site management as well.
So rather than continue to "slag (all) production boats", which in all honesty, I do not believe I was doing, I shall acquiesce and depart.
But neither he nor Don Lucas has, "in good conscience, recommend a Hunter 40, unequivocally, for this intended voyage" and posted this to the OP.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 12:39   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have no idea where any of you got the idea that I think ALL production boats are low quality, poorly manufactured, today or in the past. Well I got the idea from YOU and quoted your posting saying it.

I only try to give an honest opinion based on experience aboard certain vessels; of course I don't have experience aboard every vessel that any particular company has produced. But near as my menory serves you have never posted a specific experience on a specific boat that you use to serve as your basis.

But a random sampling of even a few vessels from a company can give one an idea of general quality and craftsmanship. But on the other hand you disregard any statements from people with long term experience of a boat.

I have been asked to leave this forum by a CF adviser, because he believes that my opinions have no place on this forum; "Really, if you want to find somewhere to slag production boats, look elsewhere. There are plenty of other sites where that sort conversation is considered intelligent. Not here." As a CF adviser I assume he speaks for all of you and the site management as well. He doesn't speak for all of us. Kind of like you don't speak for EVERYONE (as you posted).

So rather than continue to "slag (all) production boats", which in all honesty, I do not believe I was doing, I shall acquiesce and depart. Have you read your posts?

But neither he nor Don Lucas has, "in good conscience, recommend a Hunter 40, unequivocally, for this intended voyage" and posted this to the OP. I don't think that's really what wrote (I will take another look). Since I have never sailed an older Hunter 40 I can not say anything "in good conscience" about it other than what I saw on that single one of them. But other than both having been built by Hunter an older Hunter 40 isn't anything like the current boats.
I am willing to accept info from someone who writes somethng like: I sailed a year XXXX from manufactuere YYYY, model ZZZZ from somewhere to somewhere else, under condition of this, and have these comments of the boat.

What I don't accept are comments to the effect of: I sailed a Brand X once didn't like it so can say that all Brand X boats are bad. And since Brand X is similar to Brands Y,W, and Z all of those boats are bad also!
Old 27-12-2012, 13:25   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't know all that much about Hunter boats, never owned one or sailed one ! But Ive seen em all over the place! Like Ive seen many other types of Production boats!! Seems to me it gets down to the sailor!! a great boat sailed by a fool will make problems for the fool, where as a Production boat of any type sailed by a compentent sailor, can and has been cruised most everywhere!! Get real folks, most boats will take more then the folks sailing them can anyday!! Just my 2 cents
Old 28-12-2012, 00:33   #50

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have no idea where any of you got the idea that I think ALL production boats are low quality, poorly manufactured, today or in the past.
There a hundreds of manufacturers out there that really care about the quality of their product and whether those that sail them live or die. For some, it has been financially ruinous, but others have survived. I only try to give an honest opinion based on experience aboard certain vessels; of course I don't have experience aboard every vessel that any particular company has produced. Who has? But a random sampling of even a few vessels from a company can give one an idea of general quality and craftsmanship.
I have been asked to leave this forum by a CF adviser, because he believes that my opinions have no place on this forum; "Really, if you want to find somewhere to slag production boats, look elsewhere. There are plenty of other sites where that sort conversation is considered intelligent. Not here." As a CF adviser I assume he speaks for all of you and the site management as well.
So rather than continue to "slag (all) production boats", which in all honesty, I do not believe I was doing, I shall acquiesce and depart.
But neither he nor Don Lucas has, "in good conscience, recommend a Hunter 40, unequivocally, for this intended voyage" and posted this to the OP.
I might not agree with your posts, but you should be free to express your opinions and call it as you see it. I'll also fight for your right to say as you please. Censorship on an Internet forum, absolutely ridiculous!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 03:45   #51

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do have a question:

Why do Hunter threads always turn into WWIII ?

You see a Hunter thread, and it is like turning on a pay per view full contact mixed martial arts match.

We have Hunters in my yacht club, and they don't draw flies, attract mice, invoke prostitution or turn themselves into open top submarines that I have noticed. In fact, they seem quite nice.

You Hunter haters seem to need to get a life, really. It is like a Harley guy knifing the seat of a Yamaha bike. Ain't cool, not acceptable.

My sailboat, a Clipper Marine gets the same internet attacks on forums. It has happened here, even by M's. So I know how it feels. It is hurtful and it is wrong.

Someone has a sailboat they call their own, support it best you can, or walk away quietly. To thumbs down a whole boat brand that has happy content owners is rude, foolish and unacceptable in a public forum.

99% of the time, it is being done by someone with ZERO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of the sailboat that are talking trash about.

The starting post in this thread is like shouting fire in a theatre, so we get the outcome someone wanted I suspect.
Old 28-12-2012, 05:08   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=GaryMayo;1116377
You see a Hunter thread, and it is like turning on a pay per view full contact mixed martial arts match.
[/QUOTE]

Because Hunter bashing is a well know sport that at one time was socially acceptable but now is mostly a secret back alley thing (which the internet is the closest to as far as a boat thing), kind of like dog fighting.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have ever heard in person the things I have read on some of these threads. And when asked how they know this most reply that they read in on the internet!
Old 28-12-2012, 06:51   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

You guys must have a bad case of bad cabling fever!! The OP of this thread was in 2010 and was revived on post 35.

From ther there it just spiraled....

Oh well, off to work on the exhaust and maybe a quick sail.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter