Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2022, 05:14   #211

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

Cabin layouts in boats are always amazing. They all have good ideas eventually they all adapt to. My Jeanneau has two birth a sette quite long and a dinette which folds down.
Jeanneau says the boat sleeps 7. It sleeps 2 real well. The brochures claim on births is for new boaters. The boat was available with twin quarter birth smaller shower stall no stowage and a love seat so claim of births goes up to 8. sure. We have had 5 grandkids at once. I’m sure it was a conspiracy from my children but a good test on durability and holding tank size.
The Catalina 30 gets a young family on the water. Great idea.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 05:40   #212

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The brass vs bronze thing doesn't worry me too much. Yeah, brass isn't going to be as long lived, but the important thing is, it's possible to assess the condition of the stuff. The failure mode isn't silent and sudden (unlike a structural failure from inadequate mounting). Give it a thorough look over at each haul out and worry about it if something doesn't look 100%.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 06:33   #213

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

House-quality brass is dangerous when it contacts saltwater.

Years ago, I bought an old Bristol that needed a big refit. I motored it to a DIY yard and hired an acquaintance to help me do the work.

At one point, he climbed down the ladder from where he was replacing the valve for the engine water intake. "Do you believe in God?" he asked. "I'm agnostic," I replied.

"Well, get on your knees and say thank you to whoever you pray to," he said. "You just motored this boat 15 miles. I touched the valve and it fell apart. One bad wake and you would have been sinking."

The P.O. had replaced the shut-off valve with cheap household brass from a hardware store.

Also, no kudos to the expensive surveyor I had hired who didn't catch it.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 07:43   #214
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
House-quality brass is dangerous when it contacts saltwater.

Years ago, I bought an old Bristol that needed a big refit. I motored it to a DIY yard and hired an acquaintance to help me do the work.

At one point, he climbed down the ladder from where he was replacing the valve for the engine water intake. "Do you believe in God?" he asked. "I'm agnostic," I replied.

"Well, get on your knees and say thank you to whoever you pray to," he said. "You just motored this boat 15 miles. I touched the valve and it fell apart. One bad wake and you would have been sinking."

The P.O. had replaced the shut-off valve with cheap household brass from a hardware store.

Also, no kudos to the expensive surveyor I had hired who didn't catch it.

The bonding practice on NA yachts or any yacht built to ABYC standards is terrible for Hull fittings so bonded. Both brass and bronze are potentially subjected to impressed corrosion and in my mind contribute to the paranoia about this issue largely in the US.

The practice in European GRP boats is unbonded underwater metals. Either directly protected by an individual anode or not at all. Also in boats with an RCD , the mains earth is not strapped to dc negative.

In my view this is why 15-20 year old med boats with typically DNZ fittings are not showing signs of distress

No one is suggesting the cheapest brass fittings but DNZ brass is more then adequate and widely used in Europe.
Old 18-05-2022, 15:06   #215

Boat: 1980 Hunter Cherubini 33ft

Any hunter people out there that have a suggestion for a type or brand of bow anchor roller to install on 1980 33ft?
wasi1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 15:18   #216

Do you need a roller and bracket to go on a pulpit of a pulpit also?
Can you put any use to a deck mounted windlass?
Old 18-05-2022, 17:02   #217

Yes. Looking for roller and bracket. Danforth anchor for now. Would love to have a windlass.
Mark Otis (970) 948-7170
Old 18-05-2022, 18:12   #218

A double roller takes weight off the deck and winch. I love Danforth anchors. I run with 2 I have a pair of pretty plough but Danforth are great here in the Great Lakes.
I have a deck mounted rode windlass. I tossed the motor but have the relays. It’s a brute designed to nest anchor chain and your anchor rode. I’d take a beer for it but likely cost you $100.00 to ship the brute.
If you’re keen I’ll post a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B6E5B7D2-DE87-4F6E-A576-741E7FE74AAB.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	257982  
Old 18-05-2022, 19:26   #219

Please post pictures
Old 19-05-2022, 05:57   #220

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Heck Reagan caused 39% unemployment in Canada.

I disagree with much of your comment, but I won't argue since it's opinion. I will argue facts, however. No, Reagan didn't cause 39% unemployment in Canada. The highest during the Reagan years was about 7.5%. Since data was available in 1976, Canada's highest unemployment ever was 13.7%, and that was in May of 2020.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/en/p...df?st=rnoXQDad

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/unemployment-rate
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 06:20   #221

I guess you are looking at a national rate vs my Province. My bad. I can list the companies and how well we’ve boycotted them. Was not unlike Chicago’s Elk Grove Village or Detroit being gutted. Didn’t affect the US number much. 900.000 of them moved here. Denying there is trade tension from bully tactics will not fix much.
I have faith in small and medium sized US companies kicking ass on the facade importers. We are just doing our bit to help.
Boating was hit hard in the trade war and the looser the moron who started it.
Food the other category. Hunts Canada is in the Old Heinz factory, same farmers growing real tomatoes year round. They are rebranding “real tomato’s “ to recapture market share. Campbell’s soup same problem. Frozen Pizza and milk loaded with growth hormones and dumped an illegal practice state side. Frozen Salmon Steaks in Walmart with zero salmon content. The list is massive some 1600 chemicals. Way too much to fact check but enjoy.
Old 19-05-2022, 06:42   #222
CLOD

Boat: none

It is always/sometimes amusing to see how a thread drifts into something else once it gets long and there are only a couple of people on it who are responding to each other. Then out of nowhere a new poster comes in with some new drift that in their mind is part of the topic and off the thread goes on a new drift.
Old 19-05-2022, 07:54   #223

I believe trade is a big part of brand debate.
I did call it the elephant in the room.
Has been for a long time. My bad.

Anyway I’d going to the boat shed to find that anchor windlass. What a classic.
Old 19-05-2022, 08:18   #224

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It is always/sometimes amusing to see how a thread drifts into something else once it gets long and there are only a couple of people on it who are responding to each other. Then out of nowhere a new poster comes in with some new drift that in their mind is part of the topic and off the thread goes on a new drift.
Always the same people, virtually never quoted by others.

Not uncommon that I see a whole page of repeated "This user is on your ignore list", same two or three with post after post after post.

It's too bad we can't stay on topic.
Old 19-05-2022, 08:34   #225

So is staying on topic removing the business aspect of the debate. Finding faults in others views doesn’t seem to add much.
The Topic is a US built 3 time Failed boat builder and isolated brand by trade vs The largest oldest French builder still afloat. It’s a typical Benni Bash with almost religious slander on the brand. Closing their 36 year old yacht factory a loss for all of us but a smart business move. Moving Welcraft Scarab 4 Winn’s to Poland is on topic.

Tags
catalina, hunter