Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 17:39   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
Beetle,

I can only speak to the 45CC model (although I beleive all the other larger boats are the same) but it has all Lewmar steering gear from the wheel to the rudder using solid drive shafts, universal joints and sealed reduction gearbox.

It's a very nice set up and very responsive. I've been on a virtually new Beneteau which had a very poorly designed wire and quadrant drive and I know which insprires more confidence.

Incidentally, there is a pre-engineered space for an autopilot DC drive motor in the pedestal. You literally bolt it in with three bolts and you are done. Does mean you need to use Lewmar's drive motor, but it works pretty well. I've got around 5,000 miles on mine now with now issues.

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 20:12   #32

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_ellison View Post
Beetle,

Incidentally, there is a pre-engineered space for an autopilot DC drive motor in the pedestal. You literally bolt it in with three bolts and you are done. Does mean you need to use Lewmar's drive motor, but it works pretty well. I've got around 5,000 miles on mine now with now issues.
That's a nice system. I pefer to connect the pilot ram directly to the rudder stock for a couple of reasons: I have fallback steering if a component of the primary steering system fails, and I'm not limited to a single manufacturer's pilot system; instead I can use anything that will rotate the rudder stock. (current pilots are a Comnav 1500 and Alpha Spectra, with a Monitor vane backup).

I have quadrant/cable steering, with two pilot rams independently and directly interference-clamped to the carbon stock and have had opportunity to use these to steer the boat when things go wrong with the primary system, such as quadrant cables breaking, the wheel-drive shaft connection has working loose, and removing and reworking a quadrant cable sheave when the bushing gave out.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 22:44   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Don--PLease just buy one. We will be delighted when you post your adventures with it. You will be the only one who must be pleased.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter