Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 08:04   #1

Hunter History?

Does anyone know a good resource that outlines details of Hunter models over time. I know had different designers, there were "good and bad" years/periods in terms of quality control. Some models were stand outs.

Anyone know more?
Old 15-08-2015, 16:08   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Hunter History?

There is a Hunter Owners site (I assume still up) which may have that info...or at least another good place to ask.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 17:38   #3

I checked that, it doesn't give a very, er, balanced view of the good, the bad and the ugly
Old 15-08-2015, 17:46   #4

Well, owners of any make are often biased. Wouldn't hurt to post a question there though.

Any particular Hunter that interests you? A specific question here, and there, might generate more responses.
Old 15-08-2015, 17:55   #5
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I checked that, it doesn't give a very, er, balanced view of the good, the bad and the ugly
There are plenty of model-specific threads
there that relate to problems and modifications made by owners.

I'm a member there, but pretty much post to Cherubini threads, which is what I know about, owning one. If you had a specific model in mind, the info might be easier to find (whatever you are looking for).

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 17:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I'm a member there, but pretty much post to Cherubini threads, which is what I know about, owning one. If you had a specific model in mind, the info might be easier to find (whatever you are looking for).

Ralph
Ha, speaking of biases...I used to own a 37 Cutter. Which do you have?
Old 15-08-2015, 18:48   #7

There are so many models, it would help for a general break down.
Old 15-08-2015, 20:15   #8
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ha, speaking of biases...I used to own a 37 Cutter. Which do you have?
A 1982 36'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	107363

We just finished some work a few months ago. Waiting for hurricane season to wind down, then back to the Bahamas from here in Texas. It's a long and winding road. We've already put a few miles on her -

Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	107364

Ralph
Old 15-08-2015, 20:45   #9
RTB

Quote:
I don't think there is such a thing.

This post about the Cherubini Hunters is the most informative I've seen regarding Hunter history, and the Cherubini's are a very small part of Hunter history -

I've been on sailboatowners.com since it was only hunterowners.com and have provided much information about my dad's work there. For the record, the following may be accepted as definitive (regardless of what others may have perceived or have heard from less-than-authoritative sources). In fact I worked on most of these designs myself, from age 15 on, and was physically present in the time and place at which nearly ALL of them were drawn, submitted, and promoted by my dad and by their builders.

John Cherubini work with Hunter comprises:

• Hunter 25, 1972 - Bob Seidelmann contributed, having first got the contract himself, but he brought in my dad thus establishing my dad's contract with Hunter;
  • Hunter 30, 1973;
  • Hunter 27, 1974;
  • Hunter 33, about 1976;
  • Hunter 37, about 1978;
  • Hunter 35 and 36, c.1976-1979 - these were 'modified' from H33 molds, but my dad was designer of record for both;
  • Hunter 54, 1977 - the B&R rig was contributed by Lars Bergstrom, meant for only Warren Luhrs' racing cutter; not all production H54s had this and indeed the original design meant for production was very different (and would have been much better had it not been for Hunter marketing). If it has a standing backstay, it is NOT a B&R rig.

The last Cherubini-designed Hunter in production was the H27, my dad's least favorite, which endured till 1984, the year after he died.

Also: Mainship 34, a design whose hull is STILL in production, including as the Mainship 30 (just cut down by the stern).

The Raider and Hunter 33 were COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BOATS. No one looking at both hulls to compare them would mistake that. The Raider's bow angle is close to 45 degrees; the Hunter boats' are typically about 60 degrees (he did this by eye; there was no formula). The Raider 33 has pronounced tumblehome; the H33 does not, coming out of a 1-piece mold. The only interchangeable parts were the shoal-draft keel (mounted much lower on the Raider than on the Hunter, yielding deeper draft) and (in some cases) the mainsail (our R33, Antigone, had/has a H33 'tall-rig' main). The Hunter 33 is a very good design, perhaps the very best in terms of size-to-value, useful accommodation, performance and seaworthiness. I would take a properly-beefed-up H33 anywhere. The same goes for a Raider, which by comparison is much faster, lighter, higher-pointing and better-looking.

Other work my dad did, that I know of, includes:
  • Essex 26 trailerable sloop, 1972 (he disliked the project; but it's actually a very good idea);
  • Cherubini 44 double-headsail ketch (2 cutters which were dogs), 1971;
  • Cherubini 48 staysail schooner, 1980;
  • Cherubini 40/41 double-headsail yawl, c.1968;
  • Cherubini 31 yawl, 1961;
  • Sea Scamp clinker and plywood runabouts, 1957-1965;
  • Norwalk 28 cruiser, 1954;
  • 'River Rat' 30 double-bilgeboard sloop, c.1976;
  • one-off 34' diesel 'steam launch' for John Luhrs, 1978;
  • one-off 48' double-cabin/center-cockpit ketch, 1978.

During the period 1973-1978 my dad was house designer for four separate companies: Essex, Hunter, Cherubini, and Raider, at the same time.

The posters' comments about build quality of both have merit; by now these matters need to be addressed by any buyer, sailor or owner of ANY yacht of this vintage. Old cars get an 'exempt' classification for the odometer when they are so old that they must have been rebuilt a few times; the same should hold true for boats. Don't look at a 1970s production fiberglass boat and expect to not find any dramatic blistering, delamination, or water-intrusion problems. That doesn't detract from the boat's potential and intrinsic value however; and there is always value in resurrecting good design from times past rather than seeing it go to a landfill. I rescued Diana by virtue of paying her tardy (one-season's) yard bill and $6000 later have no regrets. See my blog for details.

My dad typically delegated design and component-engineering work to me during his whole tenure at Hunter. I contributed the interior concept for the H25, thus getting 5 bunks in a 25-foot boat, and fostered the idea of the aft head in the 33, which led to the interior of our own R33. I designed the interior of the 30 and did the displacement calculations for it. I did design work on Warren's 54 hull and rig as well. I designed interiors and did rigging, purchasing, customer service and sales support, and 'glass work for Cherubini Boat Company, 1975-1982. I built Raiders in 1982-1983, just before the shop closed. I built the original C44 plug, which became the yacht Ecstasy (now Emerald) and the C48 plug, which became the yacht Legacy. For Cherubini Yacht I redesigned/modernized the C44 rig and interior (2005-2015).

Anyone with further questions can e-mail me.

I am no longer affiliated with the company now known as Cherubini Yachts LLC of Delran NJ.

J Cherubini II
cherubiniways [at] gmail.com
Old 16-08-2015, 06:05   #10

Why email and not here. Share with the rest of us that are interested. It also makes the information available to everyone .

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 07:45   #11

I don't think RTB is John.

Anyone know about later models of the 90's forward. The "xx0" series and legends?
Old 16-08-2015, 14:21   #12

RTB, thanks to you and your late father for your work on the 37 Cutter. I used to own one and loved it (as I'm sure you know, it has had many enthusiastic owners and former owners). In fact my late wife used to tease me about losing my mistress after I sold her.

Iteresting about the Sidleman connection...what a fortuitous event!

Link to you blog? (signature lines don't show up on the mobile app of its there).
Old 16-08-2015, 14:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
A 1982 36'.

We just finished some work a few months ago. Waiting for hurricane season to wind down, then back to the Bahamas from here in Texas. It's a long and winding road. We've already put a few miles on her -

Ralph
Hull looks a lot like the 37', so I assume she sails well?
Old 16-08-2015, 14:26   #14

Quote:
No such thing that I know of. I think you will do best to eliminate the models that don't fit your intended use etc and focus questions on those that do.
Old 16-08-2015, 14:38   #15
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
RTB, thanks to you and your late father for your work on the 37 Cutter. I used to own one and loved it (as I'm sure you know, it has had many enthusiastic owners and former owners).

Iteresting about the Sidleman connection...what a fortuitous event!

Link to you blog? (signature lines don't show up on the mobile app of its there).
Sorry for the confusion. That info was something I found elsewhere. Sadly, I am not related to John Cherubini.

Anyway, yes the 37C is a pretty dang good boat from everything I have read. There is one a few slip over from me right now. I also met the owner of another (1980) Hunter 36 here at this marina. The Cherubini designed 36 was only built in 1980-1982. Not doubt, these were some good boats.

I can't really comment on the newer models, because I don't know jack about them. I do know that I really don't care much for the looks of many of the newer Hunters. They are, however, quite roomy inside, with comfortable layouts.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Just trying to offer what little info there seems to be for the OP. Our blog (boring at the moment) can be found here - http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Ralph

Tags
history, hunter