Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Hunter Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I think he means Chinamen are better workers than rednecks

I think he means what he said -- that it's all about managers. I know he didn't make sweeping judgments about large groups of people. People who want to keep their jobs will do the job the way management wants it done. If Nordhaven's management provides good leadership toward producing a good product, and Hunter doesn't, the judgments are about Nordhaven and Hunter, not large groups of easily maligned people.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06   #17

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
And what false perception is that may I ask? Does it concern China, Hunter or rednecks?

RT
sure you can ask
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24   #18

Boat: CT-47
I have been involved in the quality control business for more than 10 years and we work mainly in China where I am also based with my company.
Today we see excellent quality products produced and with every boat show I visit in China, the quality and design of the marine products as well as the boats them self improve.

Today, many Chinese owned productions are catching up fast, they have skilled and motivated staff, enough cash to invest into their operations, and eager to move from the manufacturing only position to the complete chain including the sales in the western world.

China will inevitably become one of the leading boat building nations. Not only for the western markets, but also for the rapidly increasing regional markets.
Boat builders will not be able to miss this market ... Hence having to build the boats locally .... A prime example is the automotive industry, for whom the emerging markets such as China are a gold mine.

With over 25000 factory visits on our books, I believe we can assess the situation here in China quite well, and I am convinced in 10 years time the negative comments about Chinese quality will die away the same as it has been with Japanese products sole years ago.

having said this, inevitably we will go out of business, or move to an other place.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18   #19
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
sure you can ask
YaaWwwnnn...I've been around the block with you a couple of times and went in circles.

Thanks for sparing me a waste of time.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 13:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I think he means Chinamen are better workers than rednecks
No, what was ment was that ALL countries produce quality products and all countries produce crap. Discounting a whole econony like China and their products is not smart. Before any of us make comments of that nature we should look at under preformance in our own corporations and their products - Hunter beening the topic of the thread is an example in our own backyard where things (at times) could have been done a lot better. My hope is that the new owners make a sucess of the company and existing owners do not suffer the loss that normal occours when the builders go out of business.

Too many old economy companies rely on the patrotic emotions of their clients and promote there products as being of quality because they were produced in (insert the name of your own country), The same companies think nothing of moving production off shore and patrotism is no longer their concern.

The reality is that China is improving its quality (as did Japan) and we ignore poor quality in our own ecomomies at our expense.
Old 12-09-2012, 13:31   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

I was on the "Hunter" site a while ago and can tell the computer programmers and marketing people have already been at it. All the places that used to say "Hunter" now say "Marlow-Hunter".

I predict that in a few years there will be no boats called Hunter, just Marlow as they will drop the Hunter name as part of marketing. Whether that is good or bad will remain to be seen.
Old 12-09-2012, 18:17   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Has anyone checked out the quality (or lack of) in Walmart, Home Depot and Automotive parts vendors where the majority of items come from China? Ya...right...false perception. I'll bet your Alden was not built in China.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 20:30   #23

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
All Passports are now built in China and there is nothing wrong with their quality..
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 02:14   #24

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Our Olympic team wore opening ceremony uniforms made in China.

RIP Made In USA
Old 13-09-2012, 06:10   #25

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Has anyone checked out the quality (or lack of) in Walmart, Home Depot and Automotive parts vendors where the majority of items come from China? Ya...right...false perception. I'll bet your Alden was not built in China.
Apples and oranges. Earlier in this thread I pointed to Nordhaven and Grand Banks as examples of Chinese products of impeccable quality.

All products are produced for a price point regardless of country of origin. The Walmart example is terrible as most of Macy's products are made in China too, just at a different price point.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 08:51   #26

Quote:
YaaWwwnnn...I've been around the block with you a couple of times and went in circles.

RT

Last time I checked, I'm not your navigator.
Old 13-09-2012, 11:42   #27
cruiser

Considering who I am dealing with GPS is reguired.

RT
PS Have you traded in your Alden 50 for that Hunter 54 you consider a blue water boat?
Old 13-09-2012, 16:09   #28

Quote:
Considering who I am dealing with GPS is reguired.

RT
PS Have you traded in your Alden 50 for that Hunter 54 you consider a blue water boat?
although your agenda (as well as your arrogance) are obvious here, I will waste my time responding. I have not traded it nor do I intend to but if I were planning another crossing of the Pacific, I would be confident either boat would be up to the challenge. As others who actually have experience with that boat stated but which you ignored, all of the criticism comes from uninformed opinion.

We have had some serious flaws manifest themselves with the alden deck/hull joint as well as some bulkhead tabbing issues and elsewhere which demonstrates only that no boat is flawless regardless of it's nameplate, pedigree or reputation particularly among the internet experts.

That you perceive otherwise is a testament to your expertise or lack thereof which I won't try to categorize for the sake of civility.
Old 13-09-2012, 16:15   #29
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Just a Little Reminder...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 05:17   #30
cruiser

Safafina you are right. Thanks for reminding me.

Don Lucas brought up an interesting point. Marlow’s marketing people are already laying down the initial steps to distance themselves from Hunter. As soon as the Hunter name no longer turns a buck they will bury it like Chrysler buried AMC, Nissan buried Datsun as well as the multitude of corporate entities out there that did the same and realized they didn’t need to co-exist with the old baggage.

We all know Hunter has a lot of old baggage in this industry. Maybe a better name for this thread would have been, Hunter is dead! As far as new boats go, I would say the Hunter name can be considered, “dead boat floating”.

RT
PS S/V Illusion, I think I have a way to solve our differences concerning the Hunter 54 thread. That hypothetical trip across the pacific you would take in a stock 54 with your family, have them read the thread thoroughly and then see if they will come aboard or wave to you from the dock. If they do come aboard what you have proved is that you would have made a great Hunter sales rep.

Tags
hunter