Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 13:07   #1

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Hunter Lives!

MARLOW ACQUISTIONS, LLC COMPLETES SALE OF
HUNTER MARINE CORPORATION

ALACHUA, FLORIDA... August 1, 2012. The sale to Marlow Acquisitions, LLC, for all of the assets of Hunter Marine Corporation, and selected assets of Mainship Corporation and Luhrs Corporation has closed, according to John T. Peterson, President of Hunter and Chief Restructuring Officer/Treasurer of Morgan Industries Corporation, the holding company of Mainship and Luhrs. "With this behind us it is time to shift all our resources to get back to the task at hand, building and marketing boats", stated Peterson.

Chairman of Marlow Acquisitions, LLC, Mr. David E. Marlow went on to state, "This is a great day to be in the boat business. For the employees, dealers, and suppliers of Hunter Marine it is indeed a new, great day. I am pledging my years of experience, 46 to be exact, as a boat builder, dealership manager, and marina operator; and my entire organization, including Marlow Marine Sales of Sarasota, Fl., Merrill-Stevens Boat Works in Miami, Fl. and Norsemen Shipyard in China to assist in continuing what has been and is a great boat brand. The future is bright as we forge ahead in what is no secret, a tough market."

Hunter Marine has continued to build boats throughout this reorganization and is planning on a gradual increase of production over the next 30 days. Beginning its fortieth year under the slogan "Life Begins at 40", it will be exhibiting its newest models at the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis in early October.

Morgan Industries Corporation and its related eight companies went into Chapter 11 restructuring on April 30 of this year and now has sold off and/or reorganized all five of its boat building entities and two of its property entities. Remaining assets include its property/factories in Millville, NJ and St. Augustine, Fl. Mr. David Marlow in addition to the companies named above, is the majority owner of Marlow Yachts, manufactures of such boats as the Sprit and Gypsy yacht tenders; Marlow Explorer from 53' to 97'; and the Marlow Prowler, a 37' cruiser/fishing yacht.

Hunter Marine is a leading producer of sailboat from 15' to 50' distributed worldwide through 140 locations.
Old 02-08-2012, 16:21   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Hunter lives!

Good to hear! Now in the coming couple of years we will see what will happen.
Old 02-08-2012, 16:35   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Marlow builds some really nice motor yachts. Looks like a quality outfit. Not like C&C who got taken over by some questionable outfits when they went under initially.
Old 02-08-2012, 17:56   #4

I've gone aboard some big Marlow's at boat shows. Astounding quality and attention to detail. Electrical and mechanical systems were things of beauty. Everything is built in China.

David Marlow used to be a sailor. Raced in the SORC and I believe the Admirals Cup.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Hunter.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:11   #5

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Congratulations Hunter - Marlow!
Old 11-09-2012, 20:56   #6

Boat: Hunter E33
Hunter made a mess of my new boat purchase recently. The whole things completely out of wack. I'd prefer dealing with Philip Morris at this point then to hunters service dept. at least I can get someone on the,phone from the number on the pack of cigarettes.
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:39   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I've gone aboard some big Marlow's at boat shows. Astounding quality and attention to detail. Electrical and mechanical systems were things of beauty. Everything is built in China.

David Marlow used to be a sailor. Raced in the SORC and I believe the Admirals Cup.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Hunter.

Carl
Now there is an oxymoron.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:12   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Yes, China does have a negative perception when 'quality' and 'built in' is in the same sentence.

However, consider how much of our electronic equipment comes from there, you know, like Iphones and tablets and such, and no one questions there quality, maybe they are turning it around. I think the secret is buying from brands that one knows care about their reputation.
Old 11-09-2012, 23:03   #9

Boat: Owens

Grand Banks, Selene, Nordhaven. These brands are made in China and nobody seems to have quality issues with any of them? Production facility oversight by the parent company is key, so I'm told.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 23:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Now there is an oxymoron.
Based on what many american sailors say about the company (Hunter) and/or its products maybe america should look at its own back yard before commenting on the quality to be found elsewhere.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Based on what many american sailors say about the company (Hunter) and/or its products maybe america should look at its own back yard before commenting on the quality to be found elsewhere.
Care to elaborate?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:50   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Hunter Lives!

I think he means Chinamen are better workers than rednecks
Old 12-09-2012, 05:57   #13
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

I totally agree. Remember back in the 50's when cheap Japanese items flooded the market. Everyone dissed their quality by saying they were Japed. Then the quality got so good they took over the electronics and car market. This is the same with China but getting Chinked is something of the past. I know because I was a buyer for two boat builders. Chinese quality is not a question anymore. The quality of my 1985 Slocum built in Formosa is of fine quality. Even the wiring is original and no need for an upgrade. The only complaint is the black iron tanks. The question is, what in the hell do we manufacture of quality anymore? Christ, we even outsource some of our military spec electronics to China.

Hunter, now that it is under new mangement may turn over a new leaf and focus on quality instead of quantity of sales. Hopefully their poor quality control and jiffy pop production is a thing of the past.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:18   #14

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

This tread is another perfect example of someone making a critical generalization based only on a false perception showing only their lack of understanding.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41   #15
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
This tread is another perfect example of someone making a critical generalization based only on a false perception showing only their lack of understanding.
And what false perception is that may I ask? Does it concern China, Hunter or rednecks?

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter