Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 18:48   #16

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Hunter vs Catalina 36’

Catalina, hands down
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 20:51   #17

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

I would consider any popular production boat. Obviously you have certain requirements but what's available in your buy budget, what's available in the condition you want don't always coincide.
Anyone here who says Hunter doesn't have an active Facebook group or a hunter owners forum as well as a Hunter owners store don't know what they're talking about. All parts are available as well as the actual builders are available for 1 on 1 at a minimal charge. Easy boat to work on, safe, roomy, sporty, cruiseable, I'm on my 2nd.
That said, Catalinas are fantastic boats, can't go too wrong with one.
Check them all out, eventually you'll step,aboard one that feels right.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 04:47   #18

Boat: Catalina 375

So my 2 cents worth. I had a Hunter 33 shoal keel new in 2006. Furling main. Sailed it 4 years on a lake. Was not comfortable when it was blowing but the creature comforts were good. Then bought a 2011 Catalina 375 with deep keep 40 hp yanmar and full batten main and oversize genoa. Much heavier built boat than the Hunter. Now I sail on Lake Ontario, where it blows big waves and have been in 40 knots in the Gulf of St Lawrence. Not at all the same sturdy build quality between the two boats. As I have kept my Catalina for 10 years of aggressive sailing I am very satisfied with it.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 19:00   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

You might even consider a Hunter 41 for that budget. I had a Hunter 36 and it was a nice boat. I liked it because it was wide, roomy, open looking and more contemporary looking than the Catalina. Can not go wrong with either one....just look at them both and buy what you like. Not that it may matter but the Hunter main sail is its power sail and it is a fractional rig with the spreaders angles back more than the Catalina and no back stay. The Catalina main power source is the jib and may do better going down wind. Sorry if the proper terms not used.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36, hunter