Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 19:23   #1
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Hunter Yachts

I had the good fortune yesterday, of being asked to go for a sail on a new Hunter 50AC, seriously the only thing I can say about is is WOW! Looking at the price of it, that's a lot of boat for the money it's priced at!

It's reasonably quick, upwind and reaching, the interior again for the money was simply WOW! It was easy to handle, looking at one of these I'm failing to see why someone would buy a First 50, while this boat is in play!
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:56   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
A cruiser wouldnt but a First 50 instead of a cruising designed boat unless they were misinformed or have come from a racing background and really know their stuff. I have a racing background and FAR prefer the cruising designed boats for cruising.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 20:15   #3
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
A cruiser wouldnt but a First 50 instead of a cruising designed boat unless they were misinformed or have come from a racing background and really know their stuff. I have a racing background and FAR prefer the cruising designed boats for cruising.

Mark
Hey Mark..
I take your point on that, it was a bad comparison on my part, the last production boat I sailed on was a First 50.
There are a surprising number of First 50's floating around the South Pacific, alebit none that I have encountered are first time cruisers.
Old 19-01-2011, 20:41   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
There are a surprising number of First 50's floating around the South Pacific, alebit none that I have encountered are first time cruisers.
Are there? I have ever only seen 1 First being cruised. I know there are a couple of people here on the forum who cruise Firsts so their comment will be useful. However, if a company has 2 boats: one designed for racing and one designed for cruising isn't that tell you something?

Really I think you will find a First version of my boat VASTLY better for racing.... and I think visa versa....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 20:52   #5
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Are there? I have ever only seen 1 First being cruised. I know there are a couple of people here on the forum who cruise Firsts so their comment will be useful. However, if a company has 2 boats: one designed for racing and one designed for cruising isn't that tell you something?

Really I think you will find a First version of my boat VASTLY better for racing.... and I think visa versa....

Mark
Agreed.
An Oceanis would have been a much better comparison. For the most part I was referring to the quality of the fitout on the Hunter in comparison to anything Beneteau I have so far seen.
That said I haven't been on an Oceanis in quite a while. I have never sailed on one.
But the Hunter we were on yesterday was really something quite special, given the price of the yacht.
Old 20-01-2011, 03:29   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
Late model Hunters are VERY danergous boats!.............Because if you go onto one you you are in serious risk of liking it and this messes up your boat beliefs.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter